Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Roochieblue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white Doberman puppy I recently adopted from a rescue org. He will be 16 weeks old next week and has an appointment for ear cropping next Monday. My vet did my last Dobie's ear 12 years ago at 12 weeks of age and I've seen others he has done successfully but I'm concerned about DaVinci being too old now. I'm having second thoughts about going through with the procedure. Can I get opinions on this?

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Oh please - leave him natural! Even if your vet was willing to do it you are asking for trouble cropping so late. Having beautifully soft floppies to cuddle and kiss is far more preferable than a mess of cropped ears.

What a sweet boy - thank you for rescuing! :thanx:

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
He's a bit too old for a successful cropping. Not saying it's impossible for them to stand, but he likely already has creases in his ears and that cartilage has thickened up so it will be more painful for him.

Also, check your adoption contract. The rescue I volunteer with only allows cropping on puppies under a certain age and if they use a very specific vet.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
ok but get ready for people to think he is a Weimer Hound....spelled wrong I know...
cute pup though
keep us posted on his progress...no pun intended

·
Roochieblue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing in adoption contract about ear cropping. The rescue organization had 7 pups (4 white) and 4 adults surrendered by a breeder in TN. My vet wanted to wait to 16 weeks even though I inquired about it at 12 weeks. My husband prefers the cropped look so he doesn't look like a hound dog but he said the decision is mine and he's fine however I choose. I'm leaning to keeping them natural and would hate to having them flop later if cropped.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
just curious why would the breeder surrender a litter??

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
just curious why would the breeder surrender a litter??
Because they can't sell them. Welcome to the world of backyard breeders.

OP, I wouldn't risk it. Leave them natural. I prefer a lovely natural ear to a "crop and flop."

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
There is nothing in adoption contract about ear cropping. The rescue organization had 7 pups (4 white) and 4 adults surrendered by a breeder in TN. My vet wanted to wait to 16 weeks even though I inquired about it at 12 weeks. My husband prefers the cropped look so he doesn't look like a hound dog but he said the decision is mine and he's fine however I choose. I'm leaning to keeping them natural and would hate to having them flop later if cropped.
Does your vet have photos of how dogs ears turned out when cropped at 16 weeks?

·
Roochieblue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told the breeder was cited for having too many dogs to care for...sad...DaVinci had rickets developing when we first adopted him also which can be noticed in one of his 12 week photos I put on the gallery but that has completely cleared up after a few weeks of calcium supplements.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
maybe you could show DaVinci some pictures and ask him how he wants his ears...

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I'd leave them natural - the only crop that might have a chance at standing at this age is a very short military crop and it really is not attractive IMHO.

One thing you might want to pick up and start getting him used to are doggles - sunglasses for dogs. Albinos often have difficulty seeing in bright sunlight and that can contribute to aggression issues. Also, use sunblock on his nose and any very thin skinned area.

·
Roochieblue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd leave them natural - the only crop that might have a chance at standing at this age is a very short military crop and it really is not attractive IMHO.

One thing you might want to pick up and start getting him used to are doggles - sunglasses for dogs. Albinos often have difficulty seeing in bright sunlight and that can contribute to aggression issues. Also, use sunblock on his nose and any very thin skinned area.
We do put sunscreen on him and have 2 pair of Doggles, which he hates to wear. We live at the lake and play often in the water. The sun doesn't seem to bother him, doesn't squint much like I've seen pics of some white Dobies doing. Although it's hard to get an open eye pic of him when using a camera flash.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have cropped a puppy as late as 16 weeks and had no issue with the ears standing. However, I have posted a LOT of dogs and am quite rigid with my process. I also had the benefit of being able to observe the litter mates ears and how they stood when cropped at eight weeks, which were up easily and quickly so I knew their leather was excellent. That said, I would leave the puppy as it is now, there is a lot of risk for the ears to stand at this age and unless you have the cards stacked in your favor it just isn't worth the chance.

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
508 Posts
Which Vet are you using?'

We had our girl cropped at 16 weeks only because we couldn't decide if we really wanted to go through with the procedure. Our Vet, Dr. Harroff said 16 weeks was the absolute maximum he would go for the procedure. We got a medium pet crop and they stand nicely.

We kept our rescue boy's ears floppy, although Dr. Harroff said he would be a great candidate for the procedure because of the way his ears stand naturally. I love to rub his floppies!

·
Roochieblue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which Vet are you using?'

We had our girl cropped at 16 weeks only because we couldn't decide if we really wanted to go through with the procedure. Our Vet, Dr. Harroff said 16 weeks was the absolute maximum he would go for the procedure. We got a medium pet crop and they stand nicely.

We kept our rescue boy's ears floppy, although Dr. Harroff said he would be a great candidate for the procedure because of the way his ears stand naturally. I love to rub his floppies!
I have used Dr. James Coker in Kingstree, SC for many years. He did my last Dobie's ears at 12 weeks of age. But he know longer does the crops but has another vet come in part-time who specializes in cropping....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts