Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
lovely link..the dobies up for adoption are lovely 'Alexander' looks just like my Harvey ~ i wish i had the money to re-home them all :eek:)

As for cropping ~ in my opinion i dont whole heartedly agree with it. i dont see why they are not just left natural. But if someone wants to do that im o.k with it~ it s there life an their dog :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Twinkletoes said:
As for cropping ~ in my opinion i dont whole heartedly agree with it. i dont see why they are not just left natural. But if someone wants to do that im o.k with it~ it s there life an their dog :)
Because the breed standard calls for cropped, erect ears and it is the preference of many Doberman owners. Thank you for at least recongnizing that it is my dog and my life. Not everyone wants to crop their dog's ears. I still want to have that choice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Because the breed standard calls for cropped, erect ears and it is the preference of many Doberman owners. Thank you for at least recongnizing that it is my dog and my life. Not everyone wants to crop their dog's ears. I still want to have that choice.
Apologies I never realised that the breed standards called for it. It does look great when done properly. I like the show crop the best. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the best Doberman forum on the planet!! Yeah for Dobermantalk
Thank you for the link.. I have 4 dobes, 3 with cropped and one natural.. I think it is the owners right to crop or not.. But I do think that there ought to be a law any alteration done to a dog must be by a state licensed Vet....... and remember
Dobermans Rule!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know why I visited that page. Everytime I do, I get the idea in my idea that just one more dog wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd love to give 'Cussler' a home. Poor fella looks like he's been through the mill. I'll never understand why people will get an animal just to treat it like that.

As for the 'crop or not' page.... The pictures of the two dogs who had their ears 'cropped' with scissors makes me want to take scissors to whoever did that. I don't think I'd stop at their ears though..... :mad:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
The doberman was designed to have no "handholds" as they are a protection animal so that's the reason for cropped ears.

People though wishing to have a doberman, and understanding the "stimga" in some areas to these dogs may find that a natural eared doberman is met with less fear by the niave neighbors and such who just follow movies and are in the mind set that dobes are a dangerous breed and quicker to be welcomed.

I personally don't care. If I'm not showing confirmation, the breed standard, IMO doesn't matter. Please note, before someone tries to start a war with me again, I am referring to the breed standard from a purely cosmetic aspect. I am not referring to any physical aspect of it such as size, height, etc. For that the standard is there for a reason.

I like the look of a cropped ear and it does can serve some health benifits such keeping the ear aired and dry. We would keep an eye on that thing automatically, but some people just don't think to check their dog's ears periodically.

I do plan to show Lexy so cropped was what I wanted but we I get my rescue dobe, I don't care. Those pics of poor crops were so sad, but this breed is attractive to the wrong people too as well as pits and some others, and those dipsh*ts think they will just save some money and do it themselves, hey how hard can it be right.... I'd like to crop their ears with a pair of scissors while you guys held them down.

I love them all cropped, uncropped, messed up crop! They can all come live with me!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
frznbuns said:
Hi and Welcome to the best Doberman forum on the planet!! Yeah for Dobermantalk
But I do think that there ought to be a law any alteration done to a dog must be by a state licensed Vet.......
But there are some non vet cropperes that do a better job than most vets. Some work with a vet, others work alone.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
But there are some non vet cropperes that do a better job than most vets. Some work with a vet, others work alone.

Yeah you're right about that Coalsmom. Lexy's crop is better than the vet I worked for years ago ever did.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That was a very interesting site. I can't believe some of the crops I saw such as the ones with siccors(sp). Aren't there 3 different types of proper crops for dobermans?

·
Registered
333 Posts
My vet does a pet crop (short), medium crop, medium show crop and show crop. He did all of my 3 Dobies and they all came out great. Although I asked for a medium show crop, it looks different on each dog due to the vet matching the weight of the dog at time of crop and the shape of their head. My Suzy's ears are the longest and at the end of 2 weeks in tape are already standing erect. BTW, my vet won't do until 12 weeks of age but I guess each vet is different, and Suzy's ears were done at almost 15 weeks. First 2 weeks ears are kept taped across head loosly until they heal, 3rd week the stitches come out and same kind of taping. After that they are taped upright and redone each week until they stand straight (see my gallery "rabbit ears") My male had his ears up for only 3 weeks and they stayed erect since, hopefully her ears will be the same.

I just want to get my hands on that person with the scissors. Let me cut THEIR ears like that and see how they like it!! :2gunsfiri

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lexus said:
Yeah you're right about that Coalsmom. Lexy's crop is better than the vet I worked for years ago ever did.

I agree!! Hero's crop is done by her breeder and they are the show cropper ears. And are very nice done. Hero's breeder has been doing this for many years. The vet that I worked for I wouldn't have him done them. And they are a very nice vet clinic. People that don't know what the h*ll they are doing shouldn't do it.

Oh ya I will hold them down for you!!! Thankyou for the link.

·
Registered
416 Posts
doberlover is it possible you could put up pics of each crop. I have never had to have a dogs ears cropped since Trinitys breeders where stupid and cropped them at 3 days of age. Sorry that still ticks me off that they did that.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I can't believe someone cut their dogs ears with scissors! I love both cropped (preferably the show crop.) and natural, I have one of each.

·
Registered
281 Posts
talking of assholes...

well talking of :*******: S some guy decided to dock Harveys tail with secatuers (large hand held scissors you use to prune bushes) that was the vets guess form the mess that was left behind. When we got Harvey his tail was once massive infected scab. Its now healed but there is a huge amount of scar tissue which remains and no hair has ever grown back. They also docked it to short so that when he sits his weight is pushing down on his tail as it cant curl under slightly. I would love to meet the guy that done that to him..

heres a pic of his tail

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lexus said:
People though wishing to have a doberman, and understanding the "stimga" in some areas to these dogs may find that a natural eared doberman is met with less fear by the niave neighbors and such who just follow movies and are in the mind set that dobes are a dangerous breed and quicker to be welcomed.
QUOTE]

Not our neighbor. In our Duplex, there is Max & the neighbors Australian Sheppard, Chewie. Both are males, so of course their are problems because the neighbor won't let us do things to get the dominance issue resolved & try to have them get along.

Anyway, in one of her rediculous tirades, she said it was terrible that we brought an abused Rottweiler into a household that has children. Ha ha, even when her kids have played with Max many times & he isn't an abused Rottweiler.

Oh well, you can't please everyone & we do everything we can to keep Max inside when Chewie & his family are outside.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Twinkletoes said:
well talking of :*******: S some guy decided to dock Harveys tail with secatuers (large hand held scissors you use to prune bushes) that was the vets guess form the mess that was left behind. When we got Harvey his tail was once massive infected scab. Its now healed but there is a huge amount of scar tissue which remains and no hair has ever grown back. They also docked it to short so that when he sits his weight is pushing down on his tail as it cant curl under slightly. I would love to meet the guy that done that to him..

heres a pic of his tail

well the Breeder for Daisy cut her tail off right BEFORE the second joint instead of after, so its shorter than Gunners... :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts