Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Jessi
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....Bella is going to be 10 weeks on Thu and I am running out of time to crop the ears, if we decide to do it. I know they don't like to do them past 12 weeks.

We are really torn on the whole procedure, probably 50/50 right now. Ugh! Everyone that we talk to says they wouldn't do it again and it was a lot of work.

We are located in the Orlando area and looking for a good vet to do the surgery. Any recommendations?

I know Dr. McBride in Wildwood is highly referred on this forum however I called and she had to have surgery on her hand and is not doing surgeries for another 3 weeks and that's only an estimate (could be longer). So I think she's out cause Bella will be too old. :(

Some say Dr. Singh in Longwood. Anyone have experience with him? He uses a laser...any thoughts on that? They say it's less bleeding and heals faster. :confused:

The other is Dr. Porter at Kirkman Animal Hosp in Orlando. Anyone have experience with him?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hi....Bella is going to be 10 weeks on Thu and I am running out of time to crop the ears, if we decide to do it. I know they don't like to do them past 12 weeks.

We are really torn on the whole procedure, probably 50/50 right now. Ugh! Everyone that we talk to says they wouldn't do it again and it was a lot of work.

We are located in the Orlando area and looking for a good vet to do the surgery. Any recommendations?

I know Dr. McBride in Wildwood is highly referred on this forum however I called and she had to have surgery on her hand and is not doing surgeries for another 3 weeks and that's only an estimate (could be longer). So I think she's out cause Bella will be too old. :(

Some say Dr. Singh in Longwood. Anyone have experience with him? He uses a laser...any thoughts on that? They say it's less bleeding and heals faster. :confused:

The other is Dr. Porter at Kirkman Animal Hosp in Orlando. Anyone have experience with him?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)
I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't be interested in living with a doberman with uncropped ears. I find floppy ears to be extremely unattractive on a doberman.

I think the people who have bad experiences with cropping are those who go to unqualified vets.

It's NOT that much work posting ears!

I wouldn't worry so much about whether a vet uses a laser rather than a scalpel as I would the style of crop a vet performs.

I live in California, so can't give you any feedback on the vets you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I agree I would not live with an uncropped Doberman - the standard calls for croped an docked. The expression is just so much more cropped compared to the flat look of the hound group.

Once you pass the optimum time you have no choice.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
My opinion is to keep it natural unless you are doing it for safety or health reasons. If the procedure was something that would benefit the dog greatly I could see the point in doing it...but I just don't see the point in changing an animal so the look suits the owner...

A lot of people are losing touch with what a doberman is supposed to look like naturally.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My wife was very upset with his ears while he was in stitches. She even cried and hit me the first time she saw them. So if you and your partner are 50/50 now...you will probably be filled with regret for the first few weeks. The amount of blood, scabs, crusties, and work required to post them was beyond her threshold. Now that they stand inbetween postings she is happy we did it.

Posting is very frustrating, atleast for me. I have only gotten posts to stay longer than 1 day once...hopefully twice now. Otherwise Its fighting the base of the post to stay in the pocket. When actually doing the posting Einstein would try just about ANYTHING to get away from me. My wife didn't have the heart to hold him down. He even jumped down from my island to the wood floor. Basically I had to stop pussyfooting around it, get firm, and not worry about hurting him. He is doing a much better job but I had to get rough with him a few times. I had to look back at boogersniffing my kids or giving breathing treatments...thats was VERY ROUGH sometimes. My wife could NEVER have done it so it was daddys job.

Lastly...I think the sex of the dog is of importance. The original thing that drew to me dobermans were their look. Proud, noble, strong. I don't get the same feeling from a dobe with natural ears. If we ever get a female she will be a red and will have natural ears. I could not have a male doberman with that soft of a look, but a female sure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd prefer cropped. Although I would accept a floppy ear dobe in my home :D

Ive had no issues in my experience with cropping procedure. However I do not do my own postings yet. The only problem I do have is the snarky, uneducated comments I get on Xenas postings...they just think she's gone through hell with her ears :rolleyesww: I simply just carry on with whatever it is that I am doing.

Sorry, I do not have any recommendations on a vet in your area...I am still a noob here in the dobe arena ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
My opinion is to keep it natural unless you are doing it for safety or health reasons. If the procedure was something that would benefit the dog greatly I could see the point in doing it...but I just don't see the point in changing an animal so the look suits the owner...

A lot of people are losing touch with what a doberman is supposed to look like naturally.
From what I understand the doberman breed was created specifically with cropped ears and a docked tail in mind. Even if initially it was more function than form, that is the breed standard. Personally without the crop/dock I would not ever have looked at a doberman the way I do now.

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
This is why if you want a doberman with cropped ears and a docked tail, it's IMPERATIVE to go to a reputable breeder. That is one who has all the puppies ears cropped and healed prior to sending them to their new homes. It should never be up to the new owner to crop ears.

If it were me, I would drive to the best vet within about 10hrs and have them cropped as soon as possible.

My wife was very upset with his ears while he was in stitches. She even cried and hit me the first time she saw them. So if you and your partner are 50/50 now...you will probably be filled with regret for the first few weeks. The amount of blood, scabs, crusties, and work required to post them was beyond her threshold. Now that they stand inbetween postings she is happy we did it.

Posting is very frustrating, atleast for me. I have only gotten posts to stay longer than 1 day once...hopefully twice now. Otherwise Its fighting the base of the post to stay in the pocket. When actually doing the posting Einstein would try just about ANYTHING to get away from me. My wife didn't have the heart to hold him down. He even jumped down from my island to the wood floor. Basically I had to stop pussyfooting around it, get firm, and not worry about hurting him. He is doing a much better job but I had to get rough with him a few times. I had to look back at boogersniffing my kids or giving breathing treatments...thats was VERY ROUGH sometimes. My wife could NEVER have done it so it was daddys job.

Lastly...I think the sex of the dog is of importance. The original thing that drew to me dobermans were their look. Proud, noble, strong. I don't get the same feeling from a dobe with natural ears. If we ever get a female she will be a red and will have natural ears. I could not have a male doberman with that soft of a look, but a female sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it really comes down to personal preference. We left our first dobes ears natural. She was a red and I loved the way she looked natural. However I hated, and was constantly annoyed by people questioning me if she was really a "purebred doberman"!

I personally prefer the cropped look on black/rust dobes (although there are some truly stunning natural dobes on this sight!), so we decided to crop our puppy we have now. It was my first time dealing with the procedure and I was very worried and paranoid about having a botched crop job. I did tons of research on good, reputable vets and ended up driving 6 hours (one way) to take her to one that was highly recommended. The vet did a great job! Despite taking all necessary precautions, Raz managed to pull a couple stitches loose about 2-3 days post-op. I had to take her into a local vet where she was given a mild sedative and had the loose stitches replaced.

I then decided a sock bonnet would be a good idea to prevent her from pulling another stitch. It worked, but it also made the cup rub against the top of her head which caused an open sore. Ugghh! It was not a very big sore, but I had to take the cup down a week early to allow the sore to heal. I had to clean the top of her head twice a day with an antiseptic wash to avoid an infection in the sore caused by the cup rubbing. All of this in addition to the everyday care of looking after the ear edges and massaging them with ointment every night.

So yes, it was a lot of work for me! Probably more so than the average person though, because of the hiccups I had. All of that being said, I would still do it again because I prefer the look and would hopefully not have those same problems again that caused it to be extra work.

Plus, for me personaly, one of the many reasons I love the breed and own a doberman is for the personal protection they provide. I want people to KNOW my girl is a doberman so that they won't even think about messing with me! Most people we encountered had no idea Ruby was a doberman, partly due to the fact that she was a red, but I think mostly due to the fact that her ears were natural.

I agree with Murreydobe about the actual posting part, it is not that much work. I am able to do it by myself with no help at all. The first time I did it, the posts popped right out. But once I figured out what I was doing wrong (thanks to researching on this site :)), I haven't had any problems.

As long as you are committed to finding a vet experienced in doberman ear cropping and committed to diligent aftercare, I think you will be fine and happy with your decision. If you're truly torn, I think you will be happy leaving your pup natural too though :)

Good luck!...oh, and welcome to DT :) This forum is truly amazing!!

·
Got mutt?
13,851 Posts
Plus, for me personaly, one of the many reasons I love the breed and own a doberman is for the personal protection they provide. I want people to KNOW my girl is a doberman so that they won't even think about messing with me! Most people we encountered had no idea Ruby was a doberman, partly due to the fact that she was a red, but I think mostly due to the fact that her ears were natural.
Cropped ears do not solve that problem.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68039-do-you-thinkz-my-head-too-square.html#post1104144

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is my third Doby and all have been cropped. I think they just look like another hound when their not and the Doby was originally used as a military and police dog and were cropped and docked for those reasons. As for vets do some research and be willing to go on a long drive. Posting takes patience and commitment but, is well worth it in the long run. Remember the dog will have these ears for its life time a few months of intermitant aggrivation posting is nothing. As for initial care I am not a fan of the cups and all that I leave the ears out to dry and heal then when stiches are out start posting.

This is Josey at 14 weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I should add....I think the reason that Raz does so well with letting me post her ears is because I sat on the floor with her across my lap 2-3 times per day, EVERYDAY for 2.5 weeks, tending to her ears and sore on her head from the cup. She kind of fought me on it the first couple days, but then it just became very routine. When I started posting, I did the same thing with her. I sit on the floor with her across my lap and give her a rawhide bone to chew on while I post and tape. It's like it's no big deal because we've been doing it for several weeks....just switched from rubbing ointment and rolling off scabs to taping her ears. I guess that's the silver lining to the problems we encountered; she's used to me messing with her ears thus making posting easier :) I still have her sit across my lap like that at least once a day and inspect her ears and just mess with them a little to keep her used to it in between postings.

So I guess my point is, teach her to sit still while you mess with her ears A LOT to get her used to it before it comes time to post!

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
I think if I didn't buy from a breeder that already had the crop done, I'd probably just let it go. I do prefer the cropped look, but this site has shown me that there are some gorgeous natural dobes out there (cough, Rupert, cough, cough). :) In the end, it's really about their heart and not their ears anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read that post. Lol. You're right, it won't solve the problem with everyone because some people are just ignorant when it comes to different breeds. I had 2 different people ask me if Raz was a Dachshund when she was about 8 weeks old. Really?!...Yeah, a doxie with REALLY big paws!

But, we have taken her out and about several different places since we've had her. (13 weeks old right now) Even as a puppy, before her ears were cropped, almost every person that stopped to pet her asked what kind of dog she was. A couple people asked if she was part doberman. We took her out last weekend to the park where lots of festivities were going on. There were TONS of people. Her ears were posted. I did not have 1 single person ask what kind of dog she was! They either KNEW she was a dobe. Or said "doberman, right?"

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would crop. I am a first time doberman owner we did our research with the vet and our pups ears came out beautiful. A wonderful vet at this is also weeks back on a wait list. Do your research and maybe ask the vet you wanted to use for a reference. Also our vet said 12 weeks and a little more for ears to stand 100%. Good luck we would do it again!!!:rolleyesww:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts