Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
What does it mean to title a puppy?
???

I don't really understand your question. On the surface, I'd say a title, whether it be with a puppy or an adult dog, means the dog has met a certain set of criteria set forth by a registering body. This could be either a conformation title or a performance (obedience, agility, schutzhund, etc.) title.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
???

I don't really understand your question. On the surface, I'd say a title, whether it be with a puppy or an adult dog, means the dog has met a certain set of criteria set forth by a registering body. This could be either a conformation title or a performance (obedience, agility, schutzhund, etc.) title.
I have read on a few websites only to buy from breeders who title. I have no idea what it means.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I assume that dogs get titles for competing...are they given for winning a competition or participating a certain number of times? Does the dpca give out the titles or can any dobe club give them out?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
So I assume that dogs get titles for competing...are they given for winning a competition or participating a certain number of times? Does the dpca give out the titles or can any dobe club give them out?
Yes dogs get titles for competing.

How they earn each title differs between each title, sport and country.

For example, in New Zealand to be a GRCH (grand champion) a dog needs to win 50 challenge certificates (which are given to the best male and female over 6 months old of each breed at a NZKC sanctioned show) and also needs to win 3 best in show awards under 3 different judges at an all breeds show (so needs to beat every other breed at the show).

To be a WTCH (working trials champion), a dog needs to achieve a CDX title, 2 UDX titles, 2 WDX titles and 2 TDX titles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts