Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen these names everywhere, like something Von something.. (the professional show Doberman names), but how do you go about it? I have no intention whatsoever to show Brandy, but what are the rules? It just looks so cool! Lol

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
By "professional show Doberman name" do you mean the dog's registered name? A dog from a reputable breeder, be they show or working, usually will have the breeder's kennel name as part of their registered name. If I remember correctly, "von" or "vom" ("van" if it's Dutch) simply means "from" or "of", but someone who knows for sure, feel free to correct me.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I have seen these names everywhere, like something Von something.. (the professional show Doberman names), but how do you go about it? I have no intention whatsoever to show Brandy, but what are the rules? It just looks so cool! Lol

The "von" is part of a kennel name, I think it means something similar to "from" or "at"? (please correct me if I am wrong!)

The "show" names, are just the dogs registered name. Every dog registered with the kennel club needs a name to distinguish it from other dogs. The name is usually made up of the breeder's kennel name, and then the dog's name and sometimes another kennel name if the dog was bred with someone else...

For example...
One of our Doberman's pet name was "Cricket" (that's what we called her every day), but her registered name was Martyn Staging an Appeal. "Martyn" is the breeder's kennel name, and staging an appeal was her name.

Foxfire is a well known Doberman breeder in the USA, a dog from their kennels will have "foxfire" in the registered name.

If a dog has two breeders it's name can have both kennel names, e.g. Martyn staging an appeal at Disco (just made that up).

Titles are the prefixes and suffixes added to a dog's registered name to indicate their achievements. Cricket was a grand champion of conformation, so her full registered name was GRCH Martyn Staging an Appeal.

If Cricket was an agility champion, a conformation champion and had an agility dog excellent title her registered name would have been GRCH AGCH Martyn Staging an Appeal ADX.

In New Zealand (and I'm sure it's the same in the US), you can register non-purebred/non-AKC registered dogs on an "obedience register", so you can make up a fancy sounding kennel name for them, and that's the name that their titles go on.

Hope that made some sense LOL

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh... haha wow! Cool!! Yes, I was just curious.. it looked complicated haha

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And "Staging an Appeal" is a name you made up? Just because it sounds.. like good? You know, kind of like naming a show horse?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
And "Staging an Appeal" is a name you made up? Just because it sounds.. like good? You know, kind of like naming a show horse?
No the breeder picked the name, usually the breeder will have a theme for the litter... For Cricket's litter I think the theme was "stage"

She was Staging an Appeal, I think there was a litter mate called "The World's a Stage" and some others.

Sometimes a breeder will let you have a say, but usually they do have a litter theme picked out. My friend who breeds Giant Schnauzers had a "New Zealand" theme for the first litter, so the puppies all had her kennel name, and then a "New Zealand" themed name.

I will get to pick my Mutt puppies name, since she is going onto the obedience register for sports.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
My girls' breeder picks litter themes and then talks with the puppy buyers about names they like or she makes suggestions for names.

Tali is from the "rumor" litter (her dam's call name was "Rumor") and her registered name is Old Drum's Fiery Rumors of Taliesin. Fiona is from the "red apple" litter (her litter is all red and her sire is from an all red litter with a "red tomato" theme); her registered name is Old Drum's Crimson Crisp.

Some breeders not only have litter themes, but they will even pick the registered name of your pup. It depends on the breeder. I found it kind of fun to pick out Fiona's registered name, her call name was almost "Crispy" LOL (it really would have fit her nutty personality too), but it wouldn't bother me a bit if a breeder picked my pup's registered name. It's their blood, sweat, and tears poured into the litter. I feel they have every right to name every puppy they produce if that's what they prefer.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Registered
195 Posts
one of my dogs was born on Easter Sunday and her breeder's name was King. Her only requirement was the first name on the papers had to be "King's" and the rest had to be an easter theme and she had to approve it.

That is how we came up with King's Little Easter Bunnie. We did call her Bunnie as a call name, but the breeder didn't care anything about that.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Chloe was from the breeder third litter/so she from the "C" litter. All pups were registered name had to start with a "C". So she is registered "Chloe Blackberry von Moeller Hof"

·
Registered
771 Posts

Registered names for dogs and show horses are not the same. A lot of show horses will often include the fathers name somewhere in the registered name.. but at the same time.. some don't. Even if they have the fathers name in there its almost always not the "breeder" of the horse. Almost always when studding a stallion it is not to your own mare. A lot allow you to pick the registered name you would like, if you even decide to show the horse/pony. Most ethical dog breeders register their entire litter, so the registered "show" name is already picked. Whatever you want to name them is on you.

Not the same, but I see where you are going with it; whole different ball game :D

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh... I see! Thanks guys! I was just curious haha

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
Long names are a PIA to fill out entry forms if you show a lot.:)
So are names that are hard to remember how to spell, like "cemetery", as in "Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery". For some reason, I keep wanting to put an "a" for that final "e". I've also gotten back entry confirmation with her name misspelled with an "a". Then again, there are the weird looks I sometimes get about her name. But hey, I found her at Pear Orchard Cemetery, so, really, what else should her registered name be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts