Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m new here and thought I would see if anyone has had recent experience with their Doberman’s ear tips losing some blood circulation from posting? My puppy is 4 months and teething. I was using long pieces of vet wrap and not wrapping tight, but read that it shrinks in heat and well, we live in Arizona…

Roscoe’s posts get changed every 4 days and yesterday was the 4 day mark. We took them out early evening around 4pm and saw his tips were noticeably lacking blood circulation and were cold to the touch. We left his ears out and bought vitamin E oil to massage on his ears. After a few hours, his ears were gaining some warmth back.

This morning the color is much less dark than last night and feels warm again. His right ear has more color than left. Photos are as of this morning. Is there anything more that I can try to home remedy for this? My next question is what to do with his posting? They’ve been out for almost 24 hours. His right ear stands great on its own but left is slightly floppy at times. We’ve been doing the zip tie method so I could post his ears and then just bridge them with sports tape without having to wrap his whole ears from top to bottom. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Head Cat Eye Felidae Carnivore

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100% agree with everything dobebug said!

Just wanted to add, as someone who is using the zip tie (cork and stay) method, we use zonas-like tape on the tips, BUT the piece that is on the ear tip is applied vertically... not around the ear, in other words . We put a piece of tape on the ear tip and loosely wrap it up and over to the backside of the ear. Then just lightly press it down. This way, there isn't just a little piece of ear tip sticking out that can get wrapped too tight and have issues. (you can take a little piece to go around horizontally to secure the first piece if you want, but again, wrap loosely and press down)
I am not great at graphics, but hopefully this helps.
View attachment 149891
Yes this makes sense! When posting, I cut one longer piece of the sports tape that holds the zip tie and vertically fold it over the tip of his ear. I also use the torbot glue to keep the zip tie in place since he’s very active. I’ve been so careful with posting his ears but clearly didn’t realize that the vet wrap shrinks with heat. As long as I can continue posting without worrying I’ll cause further harm to his poor ears, I’ll probably only use sports tape since the post should stay in pretty well without needing to over tape his ears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts