Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m new here and thought I would see if anyone has had recent experience with their Doberman’s ear tips losing some blood circulation from posting? My puppy is 4 months and teething. I was using long pieces of vet wrap and not wrapping tight, but read that it shrinks in heat and well, we live in Arizona…

Roscoe’s posts get changed every 4 days and yesterday was the 4 day mark. We took them out early evening around 4pm and saw his tips were noticeably lacking blood circulation and were cold to the touch. We left his ears out and bought vitamin E oil to massage on his ears. After a few hours, his ears were gaining some warmth back.

This morning the color is much less dark than last night and feels warm again. His right ear has more color than left. Photos are as of this morning. Is there anything more that I can try to home remedy for this? My next question is what to do with his posting? They’ve been out for almost 24 hours. His right ear stands great on its own but left is slightly floppy at times. We’ve been doing the zip tie method so I could post his ears and then just bridge them with sports tape without having to wrap his whole ears from top to bottom. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Head Cat Eye Felidae Carnivore

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,396 Posts
Please--for the sake of your puppy--do not use Vet Wrap or any other self amalgamating tape on ears. The possible advantages do not outweigh the kind of disaster you narrowly avoided.

You can go on posting with tie wraps but instead of the Vet Wrap use one of the Johnson & Johnson products (Zonas or Coach sometimes labeled Sport tape) These are medical grade, low tack (not terribly sticky) breathable tapes and work well for ear posting. Also you should have or get some Uni-Solve an adhesive remover which works so well the tape and/or anything glued in will practically fall off.

For complete information go to the Puppy sub forum and read greenkouki's complete pictoral instruction information on how to post long show crop--it is for doing it with backer rod but you can substitute the tie wraps

At this point I don't think you can or need to do anything more to deal with the circulation to the ear tip. But for future reference--when taping ears (and I can't stress enough what a very bad idea it is to substituted Vet Wrap or anything like Vet Wrap for the J & J medical grade tape. Since both ear tips are now warm I'd be less concerned about the color.

Also I've found that to avoid taping too tight becomes less of a problem if you lay the tape on--use tape wrapped to just before you get to the tip. At the tip instead of a wrap cut a short piece of tape, press the ear tip to the end of the tie wrap (it should be back wrapped at the end so the ear tip will stick to it) and lay that piece of tape over the ear tip and down the back side of the tie wrap. You can't cut off circulation posting the tip that way because it doesn't go around. Then wrap your hand around the taped ear and scrunch the tape so it sticks to itself and the ear.

It's easier than you think to cut off circulation to an ear tip. And unfortunately the self amalgamating tapes like Vet Wrap can tighten up pretty easily depending on weather conditions. Everyone seems to know that you shouldn't stretch it when putting it on but it's not so commonly known that hot weather and high humidity can cause shrinkage and sometimes just high humidity will do it--it doesn't have to get wet because the puppy fell in the pool or got rained on.

Hope this helps some and good luck.

dobebug

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
100% agree with everything dobebug said!

Just wanted to add, as someone who is using the zip tie (cork and stay) method, we use zonas-like tape on the tips, BUT the piece that is on the ear tip is applied vertically... not around the ear, in other words . We put a piece of tape on the ear tip and loosely wrap it up and over to the backside of the ear. Then just lightly press it down. This way, there isn't just a little piece of ear tip sticking out that can get wrapped too tight and have issues. (you can take a little piece to go around horizontally to secure the first piece if you want, but again, wrap loosely and press down)
I am not great at graphics, but hopefully this helps.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Working animal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100% agree with everything dobebug said!

Just wanted to add, as someone who is using the zip tie (cork and stay) method, we use zonas-like tape on the tips, BUT the piece that is on the ear tip is applied vertically... not around the ear, in other words . We put a piece of tape on the ear tip and loosely wrap it up and over to the backside of the ear. Then just lightly press it down. This way, there isn't just a little piece of ear tip sticking out that can get wrapped too tight and have issues. (you can take a little piece to go around horizontally to secure the first piece if you want, but again, wrap loosely and press down)
I am not great at graphics, but hopefully this helps.
View attachment 149891
Yes this makes sense! When posting, I cut one longer piece of the sports tape that holds the zip tie and vertically fold it over the tip of his ear. I also use the torbot glue to keep the zip tie in place since he’s very active. I’ve been so careful with posting his ears but clearly didn’t realize that the vet wrap shrinks with heat. As long as I can continue posting without worrying I’ll cause further harm to his poor ears, I’ll probably only use sports tape since the post should stay in pretty well without needing to over tape his ears.

·
Big Lil pup
8,417 Posts
Hi alevy. Welcome from the Pacific NW. Great advice ^^^^^

It's great that you caught that. Ear tips with minimal blood flow can become necrotic very quickly. Necrosis is the the dying of living tissue and it can spread quickly from the point of origin. If he were my pup, given the high heat, I would probably drop the posting time down a day or so for the time being. Also... Make it a habit to occasionally sniff your boys ears while posted. And thoroughly inspect them in between postings. Infections tend to smell pretty rank. If you do detect a bad odor, you should take the ears down an inspect them.

dobebug, who has been posting ears for over 50 years, mentioned the visual tutorial on ear posting by member greenkouki. I have seen a number of "How to" lessons over the years since the advent of the internet and this discussion is hands down the best the I've seen. Plus, many here are completely familiar with using the backer rod method of posting, so you can get very accurate advice and knowledgable support.

Here is a link to both the lesson and a followup on the best way to remove tape and posts when swapping them out.

How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

How to: Gently Remove Ear Posts

Hope this helps.

What is your pup's name? How about a few more photos, other than just his ear! LOL

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I'm a visual person, Bug, so thought I'd give it a whirl!
I used to be so bad at keeping nails tended to, but it is now my life's work, it feels like :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts