Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just found out about this site and I registered immediately.

I'm a big Doberman fan, and, finally, I will be getting one, very soon.

My precious pup will be around 3.5 months old when I get her and I'd appreciate your tips and tricks on how to teach her to stay home alone for longer periods of time.

My boyfriend and I both work 8 hours a day, and I'm afraid that is way too much for a young pup like her to be left alone. How do I make it easier for her?

She would be getting playtime and exercise early in the morning before we both leave for work. I was thinking of feeding her first, and then taking her outside. What do you think about that? Good or bad idea? I want to make her tired as much as possible before we both leave so that can be napping during our absence. Toys would be provided to her, but I don't know how long can the toys keep her occupied and busy in case she wakes up and feels bored.

She's currently staying outside in the backyard during the time her current owners work. They also work 8 hours a day. But, the problem is, she's not completely alone, she has her parent(s) and other dogs with her AND she's outside, where she is free to pee and poop everytime she wants. I'm afraid that putting her all alone in an appartment for 8 hours a day will be too much stress and a big shock for her. I'm scared she'll develop separation anxiety or something.

·
Premium Member
10,587 Posts
It's not going to work well especially in an apartment situation.

I hope she's at least been exposed to crates at night because you are not going to be able to just leave her loose in an apartment for 8 hours. In fact at 3.5 months I made a deal with my employer to take two 20 minute breaks and only take 1/2 hour for lunch. Fortunately I was very close to where I worked and could run home--let a puppy out in the morning--let him out again at lunch time and let him out a third time in the afternoon. He was crated--but I also had a yard and could get home let him out to pee or poop and fix his lunch (was getting fed three times a day at that age) after a few days he didn't have any accidents in the crate and he got a fair amount of exercise in the morning before I left and in the evening after I got home.

If I were in your place I'd be trying to take a week or two to let her settle in--you may not be able to leave her alone at all at that point--some puppies are pretty quiet in a crate alone and some aren't--you'll get complaints from neighbors is she turns out to be one of the noisy ones.

Puppies actually do a lot of sleeping but someone is going to have to be able to get her out to potty and have lunch. No way a puppy at that age can go anything like 8 hours.

You may have to do puppy day care or find someone who does day care in their home unless you can figure out a way for someone to come and take her out at least three times during that 8 hour stretch.

Good luck...

·
Zuko's Mom
191 Posts
Hello and thanks for joining DT.

My husband and I also work the 8-5 gig and have pretty much since our Zuko was brought home. First let me say that this is not an ideal situation, but it is not impossible. Have you looked into a doggie daycare where your pup can go during the day you are away at work? Just a thought, essentially it's the same as bringing a human baby to daycare. They'll get play and exercise, at least.

We didn't do that with Zuko. He was crate trained as so we would get up around 6am and let him out to go to the bathroom, fed him, play for at least an hour (remember, going on walks won't come into play until your dog is older) and then into the crate he went until we came home for lunch. Then after work he'd be out until bedtime again and we'd play and romp around with him as much as we could. I think it worked because we could both come home for lunch and let him out, otherwise it would have been very difficult. Puppies shouldn't be in a crate for more than a couple hours at a time. Would I do it again? Probably not. I won't get another dog until I can be home full-time, just because I'm sure he was very bored sitting in his crate for most of the day. He is now 5 and has free reign of the house, has no destruction issues and is a well-behaved boy. Just FYI we live in a house and are able to let him outside often. In an apartment setting this is not ideal.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
Is this a breeder you are getting her from, or a rehome, or?

If it's a breeder, I am gently going to suggest you take a good, hard look at whether that's the sort of environment you really want your puppy to come from. A pup that's been raised to be able to potty wherever is extra hard to housetrain, and if the owners are working 8 hours a day during her most formative time for socialization she's really not getting the early socialization she needs. Just my opinion, but I'd personally think twice about taking this puppy home.

In terms of raising a pup with an 8 hour workday, you have to figure out a way to get a mid-day break in...whether it means hiring a dog walker, or arranging to come home for a short break, or whatever it takes...young pups just simply can't hold it that long. It will make your house training go VERY slowly if you have to do a potty pad area, and it will get pretty icky pretty quickly as she gets bigger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, guys.

I have decided that I will be waiting until October to get my Doberman puppy.

I will have more free time during the autumun/winter so the puppy won't be left alone for 8 hours, but will be spending much more than with me instead.

Thank you all for this lovely tips!

This Doberman puppy is from a well known and good breeder from my country, so I know it will be socialized properly.

Please, if anyone knows any good, male puppy names that start with O, list them down below, I'd appreciate that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts