Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just brought duke home from the vet. He looks great. Anyways he will be going in for taping about once a week. I was wondering what can I do for him to care for his ears at home in the meantime. Any tips or tricks or things to look out for would be great, any vitamins help the ears stand? etc... thanks

EDIT: This turned into advice on how to care to now is he ok??, check my post with pics on page 2. Please advise.

From my post on page 2

I came home from work and much to my dismay here is Dukes ear, now if this is normal I will shut up. If not he is going to the vet ASAP. I feel like a bad owner, I tried to keep it clean he got upset and he wouldnt go near me. I have been giving him alot of love and comfort and trying to take his mind off it. He feel asleep on my lap and I did clean it alittle but he woke up and got upset again. Its impossible to touch his ears...He shakes his head alot, I can tell he is uncomfortable. I didnt expect it to be this bad. I was embarrassed to post the photos because I feel like they are a relfection on what a bad job im doing. Now with the photos up if you can all chime in and confirm it to be normal or advise me on what to do next. I hope that they look normal for day 2 and im just worrying like a new owner. Ive been stressed out.

He has some dry blood and he was playing outside so I think it might be some dirt. I dont really notice "puss" per say...

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
alienex said:
I was wondering what can I do for him to care for his ears at home in the meantime. Any tips or tricks or things to look out for would be great, any vitamins help the ears stand? etc...
Sock bonnets are a big help until the cups come off..they keep the cut area clean, the scabs aren't as thick,so healing is fater. and they provide a bit of cushioning for the puppy. Take clean, used socks, cut them up the length about half way on two sides, stretch over the cups and tie under the chin.

If your puppy is being fed a quality diet, there's no need to give them any supplements, and many of the ones recommended in the past can actually be harmful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is eating Nutro. I feel so bad, he scratches his ears and then has a really loud crying bark. I feel horrible.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would just keep the area clean and dry. Keep him busy with other things so that he doesn't concentrate on the ears and try to get him nice and tired so that he can sleep through without messing with his ears. I don't know if you are crating him or not but this would be a great time to crate as he will have less chances of hurting himself if he has the run of the house.

It doesn't look like the stiches are off yet so when you go back to have them removed make sure you have all of your questions answered. My vet just told me to keep it clean, dry, and apply ointment (check with the vet) to help it heal without any problems.

Once the stiches are off the thing to make sure is the amount of time the posts are on (don't want to keep them on for too long at a time) and to check for signs of "puss" "smell" and overall appearance of the ear. But since the vets office is doing the taping you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I applied NeoSporin (the "Ointment+Pain" type) to the edges of Mensa's ears daily as long as she had the "cone-head" on her head.

I used the "sock-bonnet" too. It kept Mensa from kicking the cone/tape off her head.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Everyone really talked up Jezbera their office didnt really give me instructions just to bring him back in 10-12 days. I think the ears look nice, I wanted a medium long crop I showed him a few pictures but Dukes ears look awfully longer then what I though. I will get the ointment and do the sock thing as well. I am crating him I just took him out to get some energy out I will put him back in shortly. Thanks for the tips keep em coming. I am not complaining about Jezbera he was a nice guy and like I said the ears look nice from what I can tell. I had to leave him overnight :-/ last night but he is home now... I didnt have the experience at the vet I thought I dont want to publicly get into it online but I was dissapointed.

I was wondering if the ears grow with the dog or is that why they are long so he will grow into his ears...?

·
Registered
602 Posts
He will def grow into the ears. A "medium long crop" is a pretty long crop and usually takes longer to stand than the other shorter crops. As long as the vet has had previous experience cropping Dobie ears and has met your expectations BEFORE the crop, than they should turn out good. I think all vets who "specialize" in cropping have their own styles of doing it.

You can see lots of different crops in the gallery section to get an idea of what they look like on a fully grown Dobie.

Naveen

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
From my experience with my puppy, the dog grows into the ears. They look WAAAAAY long at first, but you have to remember...your puppy is tiny, he has ALOT of growing to do.

My puppy has a medium-long crop, I will post some pics in a second.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts

Thats what Rommels look like. Like I said, it is a medium long..and he is only 9 months. Much younger than that in the second picture.

I know that this is the internet...and you never know...but I personally would totally trust the opinions of the members that recommended that vet. They are long time Doberman owner/handler's and they have seen alot of ears.

This is a stressful time for you and your puppy, but it will all be worth it in the end. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is Mensa in her "sock-bonnet":

I made four of them so she could always have a clean one.

I think I know what you're saying about Dr Jezbera. He seems to be sort of a "no nonsense" kind of guy, but he is a wizard with Doberman crops. All my other vet-business is taken care of by Dr Eaton in Calimesa. Her office is closer to my house and she has Dobermans herself.

Alienex, to avoid the killer Central/Magnolia traffic going to and from Jezbera's office, try this. Get off the 91 frwy at Central, take the first right turn (Riverside ave.). As soon as you cross the train-tracks make a quick left turn (Elizabeth) and drive through a residential neighborhood past a couple stop signs. Keep going straight into the back of Jezbera's parking lot. It saves me at least ten or fifteen minutes every trip.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
BackInBlack said:
[ I personally would totally trust the opinions of the members that recommended that vet. They are long time Doberman owner/handler's and they have seen alot of ears.
I've personally had Dr. Jezbera crop about 20 puppies for me over the years, and know many, many more dogs who he cropped. He does beautiful work.

IMO, if the ears don't look too long now, they'll be too short when the dog is mature. Here are a couple of Dr. Jezbera's medium length show crops.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BackinBlack, you hit the nail on the head "its a stressful time for you and your puppy but it will all be worth it in the end." I also like your pictures as well.

Murrey, I like both your pictures, I think dukes ears are more like the one on the bottom.

Chaz mensa is cute, thanks for the traffic advice. I will use it.

Thanks for all the pictures and comments everyone, I feel better now.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Its a Stressful time alright but after a few months go by and you see the progress the worrying will be way behind you. Your gonna be like wow that wasnt so bad after all.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
alienex said:
BackinBlack, you hit the nail on the head "its a stressful time for you and your puppy but it will all be worth it in the end."
This is why many of us believe breeders aren't living up to their responsibilities by placing uncropped puppies..the whole thing can be really overwhelming to the owners.

I''m not saying there's no stress involved for the puppies, but I think many times the novice owner's stress level bleeds over onto the puppies. ONce you've gone thorugh this a time or two, you're pretty matter of fact about it, and the puppies seem to follow suit.

I also think cropping the entire litter prior to placement makes it easier on the puppies due to the distraction level they provide for one another..they've got one another to play with. That keeps them busy, and they don't have time to think about scratching at their ears, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is blood ok? He is making progress with the scratching but he does have some blood from where the stiches are

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You might see blood for a few days, Duke was probably scratching at it when you weren't looking.

If you go with the Sock-Bonnet, make sure you change it at least every day.

Mensa had the same thing. When I took her in to have her stitches out I thought her ears looked like hell, but the Vet Tech thought they looked good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried putting the sock bonnet and he didnt go for it at all. lol. I hate hearing him in pain. I will try again today. I think his ears look like hell with all the dried blood. Thanks for your post chaz now I know its not a big deal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I came home from work and much to my dismay here is Dukes ear, now if this is normal I will shut up. If not he is going to the vet ASAP. I feel like a bad owner, I tried to keep it clean he got upset and he wouldnt go near me. I have been giving him alot of love and comfort and trying to take his mind off it. He feel asleep on my lap and I did clean it alittle but he woke up and got upset again. Its impossible to touch his ears...He shakes his head alot, I can tell he is uncomfortable. I didnt expect it to be this bad. I was embarrassed to post the photos because I feel like they are a relfection on what a bad job im doing. Now with the photos up if you can all chime in and confirm it to be normal or advise me on what to do next. I hope that they look normal for day 2 and im just worrying like a new owner. Ive been stressed out.

He has some dry blood and he was playing outside so I think it might be some dirt. I dont really notice "puss" per say...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts