Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I really was a big fan of frontline......but now I am not so sure.

We went into the woods today, and when we got home I picked at LEAST 5 or 6 ticks off of each of them (okay, okay Scott picked them off)

Honestly, I didnt even know they were ticks! Scott being a marine, all that time in the field spotted them right away.

There was even one on me!!!!!!!!!!

We have used the frontline plus religiously since forever.....but they were still on them! Does it just kill them once they get on them, or is it supposed to keep them off????? anyone know???

Also, anyone know of anything safe you can spray on them before they come inside to kill them just in case we didnt get them all???

We are bombing the car with a flea tick bomb as we speak!:help_up_2

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Some of the stuff doesn't kill them until they bit I think, I can't remember which ones or that may be for fleas. So I'm no help, maybe someone else can tell you more.

Ticks are bad here too and we have picked off quite a few from both dogs already. I just check them real good when I bring them in.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
AHHH!!! they got you too!!! yesterday morning Duchess had one below her right eye...and we have only been in the yard...which is fenced it...yes it has a marsh behind it...but we have never had a tick before this year...and we use to take her to so many places...dog park...no hardcore woods but still! We think it was one that was from when I brought her back from the dog park a couple weeks ago...anyways she had it at 8:30am and I was the only one home! I was trying to take it off making sure I did it right for 3 hours but no luck...I had to wait till my mom got home...GRRRR!!!! Me and DreamDobie were talking and I was wondering what purpose in life does a Tick have?????
They gross me out and I hope I never have one on me!!! lol it will prevent me from going camping this summer! lol my mom said when she went camping the girls had them all in their bra lines! AND THEY ARE SO HARD TO SEE on a dog!!! especially since dogs have fur and they get right up against the skin!!! I wash my sheets almost every 2 days now just cause im paranoid there in the house! lol
here is that site of the store we go to to get our food etc...there are some sprays...I dont know enough about them but just figure its an option to look into...??
http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/category_detail.cfm?categoryid=154&varpageid=999&uplevel=Health&level=Flea%20%26%20Tick%20Control

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can buy a peice of exipment for removeing ticks its like tweezers but it get the ticks head out as well so they don't go septic .also a good dab of vasaline gets them of as they suffocate and fall off.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have used the frontline plus religiously since forever.....but they were still on them! Does it just kill them once they get on them, or is it supposed to keep them off????? anyone know???
I used to swear by Frontline since it does such a good job killing ticks but no, it does not repel them. The thing that caused me to switch to Advantix(it kills ticks much faster and once the ticks are on the dog, it makes them want to get off) was that with Frontline, I'd be finding dead ticks all over my house. That alone didn't bother me all that much but when I'd find them on the couch or in bed. Yeah, I suppose I could keep Ava off the couch or the bed for the day but you try and say no to that face. :) I've found that with Advantix, the ticks have usually found their way off the dogs before we get home from the woods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts