Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm going to have Eli tested on Saturday. We are doing the Thyroid profile 5 panel test.

I found a new vet and will be working with her. I took Eli off the Atopica for a couple of reasons. The first being I wanted him off for at least 10 days before any testing and the second being on it makes him sick. Yes, *sigh*, he vomits from it. If I give it two days in a row then skip a day he is okay. I can do that according to instructions and he should build a tolerance for it after a few weeks but need to keep him off until we have the testing done, thyroid first then if necessary allergy. He is shedding more, I can see skin on his shoulders and back. I am hoping it is thyroid as you can imagine. He still is having some very dry/excema like skin under his belly and on the underside of his back legs. He is not very itchy and I'm giving him zyrtec twice a day which is keeping his eyes clear. If it is not his thyroid then I get a refererral to a dermatologist.

The good thing is his bowels are doing well. ;) Hey gotta be happy about something. Happy New Year to all. Maybe this will be Eli's healthy year! You never know.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,494 Posts
We started a food allergy trial with Kip several months ago, but gave it up because he kept throwing up the single protein etc. (kangaroo!) dog food they wanted him to use (and losing weight). OK, I'll admit to a little owner fatigue--I decided that well enough was just going to have to be enough.

It sure seems like there's always something with dogs. Hope you get to your answer place soon.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ever hopeful. ;)

We started a food allergy trial with Kip several months ago, but gave it up because he kept throwing up the single protein etc. (kangaroo!) dog food they wanted him to use (and losing weight). OK, I'll admit to a little owner fatigue--I decided that well enough was just going to have to be enough.

It sure seems like there's always something with dogs. Hope you get to your answer place soon.

Gosh, that is awful. I am close to where you are in my mind. Not quite there but when he started throwing up the Atopica, I was thinking, "seriously Eli, the one thing that 'might' help you" *sigh* Cross your fingers it is thyroid."
Well - I am hoping for your sake it is his thyroid. Easy enough to fix with meds and then you will have a happy energetic boy!

Interesting. I thought he was mellowing out because of his age, what if it is his thyroid? huh. Never thought of that. Yeah, I'll take energy over this any day. Let's hope hard this is what is wrong because it is an easy fix. I guess it depends on how lucky Eli is. He doesn't have any weight gain though so I really don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts