Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE HAVE A DOBIE FRIGHTENED OF THUNDERSTORMS? IF SO, WHAT DO YOU DO FOR THEM?

I AM AT MY WITS END AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR MARIAH. SHE STARTS SHAKING AND GETS VERY CLINGY. MY BREEDER USED TO OWN MARIAH'S MOM AND 3 SUMMERS AGO, SHE DIED FROM A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A THUNDERSTORM. I AM AFRAID THAT MARIAH HAS THE SAME GENETICS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE????? I FEEL SO BAD FOR THE POOR THING AND I WOULD LIKE TO HELP HER ANYWAY I CAN.

THANKS. :sadcry:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
we have the same problem with Coco our lab mix...he shakes...paces around...slobbers...refuses to go out to go potty Before and after the storm...or even when he feels a storm coming. we just ignore him...and provide a cage with a bed he likes to go in...maybe cover it...and play music...but were stumped of an actual thing we can do without medicating him for it...

·
Registered
288 Posts
There's a natural remedy called Bach RescueRemedy. It dosen't do it all but will help settle them down. you can either get a spray or drops . you put it in their mouth. It uses flower essences.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There's two things that I have used when I used to work at the vet's. They are Bach Rescue Remedy (spray) and Comfort Zone (It's a spray or a plug in)Calms Cats and Dogs. You can get it from PetEdge, Petsmart or maybe even your Local Pet Store. I also know that if those don't work there is a pill that your vet can give before a storm comes.We also put oprea on for the kennel. That helped quite everybody down. But I'd use the other ones first. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
They are Bach Rescue Remedy (spray) and Comfort Zone (It's a spray or a plug in)Calms Cats and Dogs.
we have both of those things and atleast for coco...they arent much help for him :(

·
Extraordimary
5,011 Posts
I have a couple of thunderstorm CDs that I can play for my puppies so it never becomes an issue. Personally, if I had an older dog with the problem, I'd still try to get my hands on some thunderstorm CDs and just play them all the time. Quietly at first so they just become a part of her life and advance over time until they are louder. The goal would be to desensitize her to the real thing by constant exposure.

A couple of other things - some dogs just want to get into a den-like area when a thunderstorm comes. Setting up a spot in a closet where they can feel safe sometimes helps. Going into a crate covered by a blanket might help.

I'd also ask what your reactions are like during the storms? Are you sucking her up and being sympathetic? If so, you may be escalating the problem. When a dog gets frightened and panicky over stuff like that, it's normal for humans to reassure them and tell them "it's ok, you're fine, it's all right" etc and what you're really doing is telling them it's ok to be afraid, you're right to be fearful and you're inadvertently praising them for being afraid. If you do that, that's got to stop. Instead, ignore the storm yourself. Turn up some music or the TV, start a game with your dog, distract them, toss the ball, make it a better experience than just wandering around the house being worried.

Mariah's mother's "heart attack" may have had little to do with the storm. Dilated cardiomyopathy kills approximately 50% of Dobermans, and many of them die suddenly from a fatal arrythmia. The storm may very well have been incidental. Since you know that Mariah's dam died of dcm, I hope that you're getting her annual cardiac ultrasounds and/or ecgs. Early detection could possibly prolong her life.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
Mariah's mother's "heart attack" may have had little to do with the storm. Dilated cardiomyopathy kills approximately 50% of Dobermans, and many of them die suddenly from a fatal arrythmia. The storm may very well have been incidental. Since you know that Mariah's dam died of dcm, I hope that you're getting her annual cardiac ultrasounds and/or ecgs. Early detection could possibly prolong her life.
I was thinking the same thing. A dog with a normal heart isn't going to drop dead in a thunderstorm, no matter how scared they might be. There almost certainly was an underlying cardiac problem (DCM).

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The thunderstorm music is an idea we were going to try too...just havent gotten around to buying a CD. the only thing is coco senses the storm WAY before it gets here...so the pressure and other conditions definately play a role...

·
Extraordimary
5,011 Posts
Yes, that's true. It seems to depend on the dog, though, to some extent. For instance, I had one once that was bothered by the lightning if a storm was at night. Most think it would be the noise that bothered but for him, all I had to do was turn on a light so he didn't see the flashing and he would be fine.

For some, it is the noise. For others, it does seem to be the pressure and/or other aspects of storms.

BTW, I read previously that some dogs are calmed by running a dryer sheet over their coat. I'm not claiming it works, just that I read it before.

The closest we can come to simulating a storm is the CDs so it's reasonable to start there, IMO. BTW, the ones I have are not set to music. They are simply thunderstorms and rain. Well, the one is a little more sophisticated and has marsh noises, bugs, birds, waves, rain, etc. At first, it sounds like a marsh, later it sounds like a storm from inside a cottage, at times it sounds like it's on a beach, at times it sounds like we're in Jurassic Park (I don't know what birds and animals are calling at times!).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mary! I have tried multiple things and they just don't work. She doesn't want to be anywhere but under my feet or my husband's. A den or something like that, she has no interest in. All she wants to do is pace around, jump on my lap and shake really bad or she also will start to whine. My dog Mariah is truly a basket case! She is super sensitive to external stimuli. If I am upset, she is upset and nervous etc. I have also had the TV on and there could be a thunderstorm in a movie or something and it does not affect her. She knows real from fake unfortunately. If I try to ignore her, she follows me and still drives me nuts!

Don't really know what to do anymore, I think she is almost set in her ways.

Thanks for the advice though! I appreciate it very much.

:peace:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts