Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
crxman321 said:
I came across this Site im just curious if anyone knows anything or has had dealings with them.

http://www.geocities.com/kalora.geo/
I see them in the show ring often. I really don't have an opinion of them as I don't know the people personally. I will say that their pet prices are way out of wack IMHO. Pet prices keep going up and it is really making it hard for the average person to afford one. We are not supposed to be in it for the money but when I see prices like that I have to wonder.

It costs big bucks to finish a championship on even a very nice Doberman, but that should not drive the price of the puppies. It also costs a lot to raise a litter when you factor in the cost of docking and cropping. I don't begrudge breeders trying to at least break even on a decent sized litter........it's not like breeders are rich, but prices like that are over the top. My personal opinion is that show quality and pet quality should cost close to the same. Show quality goes with a co-ownership. Except for the few breeders who also handle the dogs they produce for free, it cost major $$ to put a championship on even a nice dog............... I should know as I'm doing it right now.

If you are interested in her dogs, I would call her up and talk to her.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I seen her prices I was like wow.. $2,000.00 Pet and $2,800.00 Show and up I really like how most of Her dogs look she seems like the real deal

·
Registered
821 Posts
Velmadobe I also can feel your pain in the pocket/pocketbook as I am doing the same with Gaston.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
wow is that what the price is? I dont care mentioning that Duch was 1,200 for pet...the shows were 1,800....so after doing all that math(LOL!)...that breeder is exactly a thousand more. I didnt take a look at the site...considering I don't know anything about breeders reputations :) Ill take a look though after this.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
velmadobe said:
My personal opinion is that show quality and pet quality should cost close to the same.
I've always thought there should be a greater difference in price between pet quality and show prospect puppies. If a litter is graded realistically and conservatively, there are probably always going to be more pet quality puppies and I'd rather see them be made more affordable.

I don't think $2800 is that outrageous for a top quality show prospect. I know of puppies that sold for $3500 close to 10 years ago.

But I wouldn't consider paying $2,000 for a pet quality puppy. The $1500 that's probably the norm right now is pushing the limits of what I think is reasonable.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Here in Ontario, $2000.00 is becoming the norm, if not the norm I'm pretty sure. That's cdn. dollars of course, although that does not really matter in the big picture. And this is for pet quality.

·
Extraordimary
4,985 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Here in Ontario, $2000.00 is becoming the norm, if not the norm I'm pretty sure. That's cdn. dollars of course, although that does not really matter in the big picture. And this is for pet quality.
It might be becoming the norm, but it's ridiculous. And it's funny that the ones asking for $2000 are usually the ones producing litter after litter after litter.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I think Andie is very pretty, they do have alot of nice looking dogs (although I know nothing about what a show prospect would look like). But I do think $2000 is alot for a pet quality puppy.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java was $1800. Titles up the wazoo on both sides and she was the only pup in her litter not going to a show home. Dam got constant vet care, puppies docked and cropped by a vet, socialization from day one. Our breeder only bred every two years. Guest cottage where puppies stayed was immaculate, as were their cages, blankets. Well worth it to find a breeder who loved the breed and took excellent care of her dogs.

Most prices when I was doing my search were $1200-1800. Anything in the $3000-$4000 is a crime. Put the puppy down and walk away.

Java had a funny vertical wrinkle on her bridge that the others didn't have, and which probably made her a pet prospect. As she grew, the wrinkle flattened out, so if the proportions and stacking are good when they are 8 weeks, is that enough of a guarantee of a winning dog?

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
JavasMom said:
Java was $1800. Titles up the wazoo on both sides and she was the only pup in her litter not going to a show home. Dam got constant vet care, puppies docked and cropped by a vet, socialization from day one. Our breeder only bred every two years. Guest cottage where puppies stayed was immaculate, as were their cages, blankets. Well worth it to find a breeder who loved the breed and took excellent care of her dogs.

Most prices when I was doing my search were $1200-1800. Anything in the $3000-$4000 is a crime. Put the puppy down and walk away.

Java had a funny vertical wrinkle on her bridge that the others didn't have, and which probably made her a pet prospect. As she grew, the wrinkle flattened out, so if the proportions and stacking are good when they are 8 weeks, is that enough of a guarantee of a winning dog?
I'm not experienced at judging show vs pet puppies. When it comes time to rate my own litter, I will call in the big guns - LOL!!

While there are litters that have many show quality puppies in them, they are the exception and not the rule. It is possible for an 8 week old puppy to look fantastic and then grow up to be very mediocre - that is the risk you take. That is also why I can't see charging a huge amount more for show quality than pet quality unless you grow them out some and have a much better idea of how good they are. The same can be said about pet quality. There are plenty of puppies that go to pet homes that could be shown - especially males.

To me, the people who are cranking out numerous litters per year and charging huge sums for them are in it for the money. They may also be breeding lovely dogs........but how can you possibly keep track of all of them??

It is hard to explain this to my husband who knows that I have already poured $1000's of dollars into Louise. I will be lucky if we break even on a decent sized litter, and I sure am not counting on it.......... especially since we don't even know if it will happen yet!

What most hobby breeders/show people do is hope to make enough on a litter to pay for the expences of finishing the next champion. I guess that sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. That is my goal - I sure don't plan on remodeling my house with the money - LOL!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Codysmom said:
is there a show dobe out there that Gwen DeMilta has not handled? she is on everybodys website!

cc
Mine :)

But, she did handle his father (Dagger) and her current special is Cy's half sister (Ada)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Then you two belong to a very small club :)

sometimes I think there are more pictures of Gwen, than dobes on some of the sites!

cc

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Codysmom said:
is there a show dobe out there that Gwen DeMilta has not handled? she is on everybodys website!

cc
Gwen is mostly an East Coast handler - she lives near me in Pennsylvania. The east coast and the California geographic area have the biggest concentration of Doberman breeders. Gwen travels in a big custom motorhome that truly is her second home. Today, Louise is with her in Alabama :)

·
Premium Member
10,884 Posts
Codysmom said:

cc
Nor mine

But I'm on the West Coast so that probably has something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts