Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for some advice on tanks ears. This is my first time with cropped ears. They were done at 8 weeks old and now he's 6 months, and have been standing for a little over 24 hours. Do they look ok? Should I keep posting? Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks...:)

Attachments

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
He's a cutie! :nicejob:

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When in dought post again. 6 mo there still teething. Its a pretty short crop with alot of bell so you may be ok. keep an eye on them if they start showing any weekness up they go. But your on the right track

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I would leave them down until they start to fall again; if they start to fall again.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Personally, if it were me, i would leave them down and if they dont drop within a week, your good to go. A friend of mine many years ago, told me that was his rule of thumb and it seems to work, or i got lucky..

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
They look great but dont be fooled though keep an eye out for them getting week. My lil guys ears pulled that on me. 4 days they stood and one of them flopped I think he slept on it wrong. But we are still posting it and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If you leave them down, don't wait UNTIL they fall if you have to put them back up. Look for signs of "weakness" and if you see it, get them up ASAP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Tanks ears made it 3 days then they started to get weak and fall so their posted again. Its only been 4 months so hopefully another month or so. :)

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
I was given several rules to go by, and even though each is a bit different, essentially they all indicate the same thing - if you wait until they flop, you are extending the amount of time they'll need to be posted...... some say for every hour they have fallen, it adds a day of posting, but most, including a few breeders I know, say that for every day they have flopped, you've added an extra week they'll need to be posted... so better not to be in a rush (especially during teething time, when they are most apt to fall), and keep posting for an extra few months - leave them unwrapped for no more than a day, and then post, even if you're tempted not to - you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I was given several rules to go by, and even though each is a bit different, essentially they all indicate the same thing - if you wait until they flop, you are extending the amount of time they'll need to be posted...... some say for every hour they have fallen, it adds a day of posting, but most, including a few breeders I know, say that for every day they have flopped, you've added an extra week they'll need to be posted... so better not to be in a rush (especially during teething time, when they are most apt to fall), and keep posting for an extra few months - leave them unwrapped for no more than a day, and then post, even if you're tempted not to - you'll be glad you did.
This is exactly what I've seen and believe.....don't leave them down for more than an afternoon so that they can use them. One of the ears looks like it has a slight wrinkle in it....so you need to pull the ears up tight so that they don't have that. Keep posting till they are done teething and so true, if you let them fall you will post longer....it takes awhile and you only get one shot at making them right.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
I think the best advice I got was not to brace or bridge after the first couple of weeks... post at about "11 & 1 o'clock", and let them use their muscles to strengthen their ears. Annie's did fabulously that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts