Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last about 2 weeks Bronson wakes me up every morning chewing/scratching like crazy.
Chewing his feet/legs. Lots of scratching.
But after about an hour he stops and is fine for the rest of the day.

He sleeps in bed with us and our sheets/comforter is all cotton. But I have a blanket I keep over the comforter (mainly for him) that is fleece.
All his beds/blankets are fleece and he has slept on this blanket for months.
I only use all natural scent/dye free laundry soaps because I have sensitive skin.
We even just washed the sheets because I thought maybe he rolled in some pollen or something and got it all over the bed, but no.

He doesn't have any odors, he is bathed every few weeks. Just started using Earth Bath last time I bathed him.
One day I'll feel like his coat is kind of dry, the next it feels normal and soft.
Never any skin flakes.
Dont use any yard pesticides or anything. No fleas.
Cats are indoor only but arent doing any scratching.

Right now his diet is raw:
chicken
beef
pork
turkey
1 sardine a day
chicken liver/heart
and raw bones
egg once in a while
this multivitamin
FidoNutrients | Liquid Health? Pets (Anyone recommend a better multivitamin? I cant find many 'all in 1s' that aren't filled with wheat/soy/fillers. Thats also not in pill form)
Wheat Germ oil for Vit E - I don't always give so I don't think this is causing it
Super C 2000 - I give this once in a while. Too much gives him diarrhea
Leerburg | Super C 2000

I am thinking it might be seasonal but why would it only be in the morning?
Guess I also worry it might be dust allergies, no idea what to do for that.
He also tries to eat grass a lot. Always keep an eye on him and tell him to cut it out.

Considering trying Aller'G Free. Anyone have experience with it?
Leerburg | Aller'G Free

Sorry for such a long post, trying to be thorough.

picture for your time

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
There could be any number of possibilities really.

The dust allergies or pollen is a possibility but like you said it's only in the morning, which could be explainable by the fact that at night he stays in for a solid period of time and during the day he can go out and get into the fresh air.

He could have developed an allergy to something in the sheets, it's not unheard of but not the most common either.

From the sounds of his coat after earth bath and that it is relatively new that sounds like your most likely culprit. I would stop using it and see how he handles the next few weeks, and at most give him a plain water bath or a nice brushing to encourage the skin to keep producing the oils and rid itself of the shampoo. (I hope that makes sense)

Sort of off topic but when I had a rat I bathed her once. I get a dry scalp myself from sulfates and there was one in the rat shampoo, once that mixed with her coat oils I couldnt touch her for weeks until it was all out of her system or I broke out in itchy hives.

So my advice basically is ditch the shampooing, let his body refresh its oils/get it out of his system, and see how he is then. Good luck! and if he really gets worse or is creating sores obviously its vet time :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Off hand, I got no clue why the scratching. I did want to mention that your vitamin liquid contains black walnut, which I would not choose to use. Thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to remember if he was scratching before I used the Earth Bath but I am not sure. You might be right on that Sam.

Thanks for mentioning the black walnut mmctaq.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,258 Posts
You could also try using one of those allergy mattress pads and even pillow covers designed to keep dust mites down--also wash your bedding (including the mattress pad) in super hot water to kill any mites that are around.

It would seem to me that licking feet and scratching only in the morning would show that he is coming into contact with an allergen during the night.

I think I would also remove any loose bedding that you can't or don't want to wash (fleece, dog bed) for a few weeks and see if there is any difference. Just because he has shown no sign of sensitivity up to this point doesn't mean he hasn't developed that sensitivity now.

You can also wipe him down, his feet and legs in particular, with hypoallergenic baby wipes whenever he comes in from inside, just in case it is a seasonal thing (pollen, etc,) that he is bringing inside with him and depositing on his sleeping areas.

Another idea--do you still have your heater on inside? Does it mostly come on in the early morning when the house is at its chilliest? Maybe there is an allergen getting into the air and moving around when the heater is moving air around.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
google and do some research on MSM as a supplement to help with many skin issues as well as allergies.

Hugz to your itchy boy!

Black walnut is a usefull medicinal herb, but should not be taken everyday. it is usefull in removing some parasites, can aid digestion and can help with issues from fungal infections and warts..........it does have quite a few nutrients in it as well........calcium, iron, selenium, zinc and more.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Are you giving a suppliment or something at nite you dont give any other time of the day. If you are, stop giving it for several weeks to see if the itching stops.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It's been really hot here and I've noticed my girl scratching more.............last night she was barking at something and I saw my first big rat on the porch.....not funny!!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
spring is springing in!!!

forgot to mention..........some dogs as they start their spring coat shed/change, will get itchy, scratchy.

but the foot/leg chewy thing has not been one i have seen on my pre shed dogs.

but it seems to almost always be caused by a sensitvity to something...usually something they are being fed.

Hugz to Bronson!!!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I would have him checked by a chriopractic vet. Could be he has a pinched nerve that makes the foot tingle and it will cause them to chew and scratch to try to relieve it.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
If the Earth Bath is the only change, I'd not use that again.

There's a product called De-Mite that is pricey, but that removes dust mites in fabric when you launder, without having to have the water at 140 degrees. I use it for all our bedding except our sheets, which I do launder on a sanitary cycle.

De-Mite is still around $50 a quart, but a quart will give you about 50 launderings, so I don't use more than a bottle a year, as I'm only using it for the mattress pads, blankets, and bedspreads.

Hard surface flooring, hard surface window coverings in the bedroom. Dust mites like carpet and fabric window coverings.

I'd likely see my regular vet instead of going straight to a chiropractic, I also would have concern that his feet might tingle or feel some other kind of "funny" to him. First, though, given that we belive Bronson may have a pit bull in his background, I'd have a skin scraping done; demodex difficulty is common in the breed. I know it doesn't usually start with feet, but it can. And, while the treatment seems to go on forever, it's easier than trying to eliminate dust mites from his environment.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks guys!

He doesn't get anything at night. He is fed in the mornings with his supplements. Sometimes he gets dinner scraps and some treats at night. But nothing consistant.
(Last night he got some steak and baked potato skins, also gave him some cooked spinach but he wouldnt touch it lol)

I was thinking more about it and I dont think I used the Earth Bath last, I had taken him to work and bathed him with the shampoo there. So I'll have to go back to his old shampoo he never had problems with and test the Earth Bath again in a few weeks.

I did a water bath last night and a rub down with the zoom groom. Isn't shedding yet but he does a good coat drop every 4 months or so and I think its about time.
He seemed to be scratching less this morning, but still scratching.

Didnt think about a pinched nerve. He's due for a vet check anyway so I'll probably take him in.

I also remembered my bf has been using a carpet powder on the carpet in the bedroom/hallway and that might be causing it.
We have hard floors in the rest of the house and hes not really in the bedroom/hallway much during the day.

Or it might just be allergies. I woke up this morning with my sinuses killing me/eyes practically glued shut.
Too many options/causes!!!

He also has been peeing on his feet lately so I'm going to have to start wiping his legs/feet when he comes in. Sigh boys.

I cut out his supplements today. He only got a chicken leg quarter, sardine and egg white today.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try giving him benadryl, one 25mgs per 25 lbs bodyweight, for 3 or 4 days and see if they have an effect. Be sure to use the regular allergy formula, NOT the cold formula.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How often does he get egg white, how much and is it raw or cooked?
Used to give one whole raw egg everyday, but last few weeks he's had maybe 4 raw eggs. (BF eats them all :rolleyesww:)

BF will give him some of his scrambled eggs every once in a while.

I only gave just the white this time because we were out of eggs, but had some egg whites in the carton.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Used to give one whole raw egg everyday, but last few weeks he's had maybe 4 raw eggs. (BF eats them all :rolleyesww:)

BF will give him some of his scrambled eggs every once in a while.

I only gave just the white this time because we were out of eggs, but had some egg whites in the carton.
Never mind, then. Regular consumption of raw egg white without yolk could potentially cause a biotin deficiency, and biotin is necessary to skin and coat health. Occasional raw whites wouldn't be an issue or a factor in what's going on, though. Oh, well. I thought for a minute there that I'd had a useful idea, but nooooooo... LOL!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Plus, cooking the egg or egg white, before giving, stops any biotin destruction. Your dog gets optimum benefit from a boiled egg. Hmmm, cooking in olive oil over low heat would be good, too.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Plus, cooking the egg or egg white, before giving, stops any biotin destruction. Your dog gets optimum benefit from a boiled egg. Hmmm, cooking in olive oil over low heat would be good, too.
I wouldn't worry about cooking unless whites only were being given frequently. There is more than enough biotin present in the yolk to make it a non-issue to feed whole eggs raw.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Key word was optimum.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts