Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some of you use this brand for probiotics. I'm interested in something for Ripley because of her GI problems and a recent UTI. Which the antibiotics gave her tummy issues. The website had more options then I thought, treats, granules, liquid...what do you give to your dog(s) and why? The granules looked like a good buy. Are all the formulas pretty similar? I also have a 11yr old small dog that I'm sure would benefit from probiotics as well. Is this something I can give long term, the rest of Ripley's life, with no side effects?
Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Bump

I think Dream Valley used them for her first dog. You might try pming her, though I can't seem to pm anyone today...don't know if it is me or the system...(silent scream).

Someone else, too, but I can't remember who, maybe Fitzmar Dobermans, not sure.

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I give either Probiotics (Optimal Pets) or the Greek yogurt daily. They prefer the yogurt. Seems to help with the gas issues. Before they would run me out of the truck at 70 mph on the highway. Now we do not seem to have as much gas--some but it's not deadly. I do think the yogurt works just as well. I've been giving this to all my Dobes since I first got Joe.

Reactions: Ripley!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I once used the NZymes BacPack Plus, together with Ox-E drops, Antioxidants and Black Leaf drops. It was when Greta had a yeast infection.

I kind of liked the BacBacks (Probiotics) but I am not sure if any other Probiotics would´t do equal as well. The other stuff was especially for the yeast infection and I am not sure if it helped.

My fosters, especially one of them has a history of antibiotics and a sensible digestive system, so they both get Probiotics together with all their meals. My current box is almost empty, so I am asking myself the same question.

Does anybody know what the difference is between probiotics for dogs or probiotics for humans?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmm, I think there is a difference.

Here is some that might interest you, but really Greek yogurt or kefir has a bunch of probiotics it it.

Well, I can't do much on this damned computer, so you can try to pull up Dr Karen Becker, DVM on your search engine, when you get to her site, navigate around...sometimes the product topics show up at the bottom of the screen. Sorry, I can't do anything for you right now.......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm, I think there is a difference.
Well, I can't do much on this damned computer, so you can try to pull up Dr Karen Becker, DVM on your search engine, when you get to her site, navigate around...sometimes the product topics show up at the bottom of the screen. Sorry, I can't do anything for you right now.......
Really interesting, thank you LindaH. Found the website HERE and think it is very interesting. I checked her product and compared it with the one I use right now for the dogs and she is right: mine only has three strains and hers over 10.

Which makes me wonder again - there are a lot of human grade probiotics out there with more than 10 strains, so this makes me wonder again if a human grade probiotic may be better than a 2-4 strain pet probiotic.

In case somebody is interested, this is the list of the most beneficial probiotics for pets Dr. Karen Becker recommends. I will compare the list with a random health food store probiotics next time I go shopping I guess

Bifidobacterium lactis: a friendly bacteria often found in yogurt that is known to help stimulate immune responses.
Bifidobacterium animalis: a unique bacteria that promotes optimal health and protection within the digestive tract.
Lactobacillus acidophilus: guards the health of your pet's entire digestive tract.
Bifidobacterium longum: keeps your pet's digestive system running smoothly, and helps enhance their immune system.
Bifidobacterium bifidum: helps promote a healthy balance of flora in your pet's intestine. What's more, this organism is especially helpful for enhancing immune response.
Lactobacillus casei: works with other helpful organisms, and helps to encourage the growth of other "good" bacteria.
Lactobacillus plantarum: helps to ensure that the nutrients in vitamins and supplements are getting to your pet's cells.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus: assists your pet's elimination and occasional intestinal discomfort by working to stabilize their intestinal microflora.
Lactobacillus bulgarious: works with other Lactobacillus strains to provide your pet with a potential source of dietary antioxidants.
Bacillus coagulans: helps enhance your pet's intestinal health and provides back-up for sporadic intestinal discomfort.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! I wondered the same about human grade acceptable for pets. I read a little about kefir. Can that be found at a health food shoppe? There are just to many options.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thank you all! I wondered the same about human grade acceptable for pets. I read a little about kefir. Can that be found at a health food shoppe? There are just to many options.
I don't think the human grade probiotics cover all that a dog needs.

You can find kefir in some grocery stores, maybe in the more exotic part of milk, yogurt, cheese sections. You can also order the "seeds" online and make your own, which is where I would go with it. Eisel, on here, makes it I think. Maybe he would part with some for you somehow. I been thinking of asking him about it, too.:) Maye a health food store would have the seeds.

I think the Greek yogurt has about six or so probiotics in it.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
I once used the NZymes BacPack Plus, together with Ox-E drops, Antioxidants and Black Leaf drops. It was when Greta had a yeast infection.

I kind of liked the BacBacks (Probiotics) but I am not sure if any other Probiotics would´t do equal as well. The other stuff was especially for the yeast infection and I am not sure if it helped.

My fosters, especially one of them has a history of antibiotics and a sensible digestive system, so they both get Probiotics together with all their meals. My current box is almost empty, so I am asking myself the same question.

Does anybody know what the difference is between probiotics for dogs or probiotics for humans?
I was using the same package when Gino had ears infection and itchy skin.
Violet did it help with yeast infection?

I add Bac-Pak and Granules to my dogs raw food... not sure they need it anymore.
Granules helped Gino with itchiness. He doesn't have ear infections anymore.
It's hard to tell Nzymes helped him or his immunity became stronger.

If my dogs had any digestive problems I would use kefir. That's alive bacteria and it helps humans as well.
My co-worker gave me kefir grains and I make kefir at home. It's easy and it works like a charm.

Bragg's apple cidar vinegar with mother in it is another great source of probiotics and enzymes. Simply add 1tbs ACV to your dog food.

Reactions: Ripley!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmmm, I bought some Greek yogurt, Braggs ACV, and human probiotics today before I got back on the site. The ACV was for me, didn't pay attention to everything it has. I gave the yogurt with dinner about a tablespoon. The kefir sounds interesting to get into.

DreamValley, do you add ACV to one meal a day or more? Automatically add a full Tbls or build up to the Tbls? It's always a plus when someone has ironed out some of the kinks already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts