Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how far do you go? I dont really measure distance but how long we ride. I normally ride with Kyrah starting a slow trot to warm her up. Then get her into a steady trot. As we are going she will every so often do a short run for a minute or so then back to her trot. Then back and forth. She seems to really enjoy biking as she has started the running thing more. Could also be its not as hot. I normally only go for 30 -45mins at a time. Hubby got him a bike and we have been going riding. We really want to take Kyrah with us. The times that we went some were a bit long and probably wouldnt be a good outing for her. But our last outing was about 35mins but with her it would be more like 1 1/2 hrs. We wouldnt make her go as fast as we went. We are not against going for a bit and stopping for a bit also. Just need a guide line. Or maybe what to watch for if she should be getting too tired. I worry too much. I am sure she can go way longer than I think she can.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yep, my old Dobie used to LOVE LOVE LOVE biking with me, however he did try to get ahead of the bike at times and race/pull it. No bueno, my friends. I had one real good crash where the pup was fine but I was a god-awful wreck for a week.

The only other issue I ever had was the pavement. Dober-feet are not so pavement friendly. As far as how long, I would not consider this a time issue, rather a distance issue. We used to comfortably do about 2 miles, and at a speed that took about 30 minutes. We hit all speeds; some running, jogging and trotting.

·
Super Moderator
21,742 Posts
On our regular rides I go somewhere between 2 and 4 miles. Shanoa has done longer treks (around 6 miles) and was just fine. But we'd built up her endurance by starting small.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Like Meadowcat, we start slow and build up endurance. When we go to a river area where Flirt can cool off, she can run for "hours" so to speak. But when we got to a park or say bike ride, she tires much faster. I start with 1 mile and go up from there.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I have been building up. This past week I have done 2 sessions a day twice. For those worried about her pads. I ride close to the edge of the road so she is pretty much always in the grass. When we walk she walks on the road mostly. Her pads are good and I check them all the time. If anything is broken in its her pads. So far I have been lucky that her pads only once when she was younger got a bit dry and cracked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, I have been building up. This past week I have done 2 sessions a day twice. For those worried about her pads. I ride close to the edge of the road so she is pretty much always in the grass. When we walk she walks on the road mostly. Her pads are good and I check them all the time. If anything is broken in its her pads. So far I have been lucky that her pads only once when she was younger got a bit dry and cracked.
I bike with my boy a couple of days a week. No more than three miles. I apply Mushers Secret to his pads just to be safe. Here's the link if you're interested.

Mushers Secret-all season paw protection for your dog

Reactions: Herb2relax
1 - 10 of 10 Posts