Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
do people confuse your dog with a Coonhound? Happened to me this weekend, and I gotta admit, it kinda bugged me. I guess people are so used to the typical "erect ear" image of a Doberman. My dog isn't full Dobe, anyhow, but I looked it up and I guess I can see how people might make that mistake.

Here's a pic of a black and tan coonhound...

The markings are very similar, although the hound has much longer ears, and I don't think their tails are usually docked either. Also, it appears that the Coonhound's ears sit much lower than a Dobe's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it depends on the size of the ears and how they lay. It would bother me too if someone asked me that. It is not that I wouldn't love a mixed breed because I have had them and loved them. It is because we respect and love our dog's so much that it does appear insulting. Like someone who asks if your child is a boy or girl. Your dog has very intelligent looking eyes. I bet that most people know he is a doberman though. My Mako has natural ears, I don't recall anyone asking what breed she was, except as a puppy. Mako has shorter ears, maybe that is why.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SeaNemesis said:
I think it depends on the size of the ears and how they lay. It would bother me too if someone asked me that. It is not that I wouldn't love a mixed breed because I have had them and loved them. It is because we respect and love our dog's so much that it does appear insulting. Like someone who asks if your child is a boy or girl. Your dog has very intelligent looking eyes. I bet that most people know he is a doberman though. My Mako has natural ears, I don't recall anyone asking what breed she was, except as a puppy. Mako has shorter ears, maybe that is why.
Ohh, sorry, perhaps you thought the picture I posted is of MY dog. That actually IS a coonhound I posted off the internet for comparison.

My dog has much shorter ears...here's a pic...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your dog looks nothing like a coonhound then. I have never seen a coonhound before though, maybe not even in picture. I have heard of them though. However, I cannot see how anyone would even think your dog looks like a coonhound. Your baby is beautiful. I love his eyes. heh thanks for adding your comment that the pic is actually a coonhound for people like me :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he he...No worries. I didn't know what a coonhound looked like either until I looked it up!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
When Rommel was really really little people asked me all the time if he was a Rottweiler. Then one day when he was about 4 months old, ears cropped and in tape, a lady at PetSmart asked me if he was fullblooded Doberman. I was thinking, come on lady, you cant be serious.

At 4 months, he looked 100% doberman

I think alot of people just arent used to seeing dobermans with ears, or doberman puppies. I honestly think people just assume that they are born with erect ears and no tail.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I doh't have an uncropped Doberman but I do know that most of the general public has never even heard of a black and tan coonhound much less know what they look like.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah while i understand how it can upset ya when asked. Also take into mind that maybe these people havent been exposed to dobermans or coondogs, and not sure of the difference. Just like i saw a supposed rat ter. who was blk and rust, and he looked pretty close to my min pin, and someone who is not around them may not notice the real difference that we can point right out. that was the first blk/rust rat ter. i had ever seen but i also have only seen a few even if it really was one or not. But i wouldnt let it bother me either. Just like people who think the min pins are mini dobes, its prob cause they just dont know any better, and those of us who know should make sure we let them know that is not correct. Just give the proper info and go on even if they dont like it. haha but no doubt i know stuff like that does get old.

·
Registered
255 Posts
micdobe said:
I doh't have an uncropped Doberman but I do know that most of the general public has never even heard of a black and tan coonhound much less know what they look like.

thats what i would have thought too, but of all places, on base here in little ole cherry point, a lady down the street actually had one! the first REAL one i had ever seen myself.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Well, that's what I mean. I've never seen one outside of a dog show, and I bet if you went to any large city and just asked the first 100 people you saw, at least 90% of them would never have heard of the breed.

Italian Greyhounds are rare outside of dog shows too. What they look like is miniature greyhounds. When my first IG was young, a woman outside a pet store asked me if she was a Great Dane puppy. I can see people not recognizing the breed but to me she didn't look anything like a Great Dane, of all breeds.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
LOL so none of ya'll grew up with hunters :)

My family, someone somewhere always had a hunting dog, black and tan or red bone as an0ther was called. Oh yeah, can't forget the beagles either LOL

One day I was at the vet with Da'Kari, she was around 6 or 7 months old, a pretty good size by then and someone came in with their little boy, he saw Da'Kari and said look grandma to which she said, aww look she has a dog just like yours, so I was thinking aw cool a little boy with a dobe, ROFL, NOT, she started telling the lady in front of her they had a little black dachhound.

HAHAHAHA! People are weird sometimes, I guess if it has a nose and tail they are all the same???? Hahaha!

·
Registered
255 Posts
micdobe said:
Well, that's what I mean. I've never seen one outside of a dog show, and I bet if you went to any large city and just asked the first 100 people you saw, at least 90% of them would never have heard of the breed.

Italian Greyhounds are rare outside of dog shows too. What they look like is miniature greyhounds. When my first IG was young, a woman outside a pet store asked me if she was a Great Dane puppy. I can see people not recognizing the breed but to me she didn't look anything like a Great Dane, of all breeds.

LOL well i wasnt disagreeing with you.

ah i went back to read it, sorry i see how it could seem confuseing. I meant it as yeah i would have thought on avg people wouldnt know what a ******* was. And of all people we met a military family who had one, and it was the first one i had seen myself. sorry sometimes i get to just typing and thinking and it dont come out right. lol sorry i will work on that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Around me there arent that many dobermans. The dog park i take trinity too I have only seen 2 or 3. I have seen 1 by my house but thats it. Everyone seems so shocked when they see trinity and they always stop me to ask me questions. I remember 1 time i was leaving petsmart walking to my car and a lady who was in her car leaving stopped me to ask me questions. She seemed interested in getting a doberman.

·
Banned
675 Posts
"LOL so none of ya'll grew up with hunters :) "

My father was a hunter, but not in the South, and not with dogs. He got a deer every year in hunting season. It's illegal to hunt anything with dogs where I come from.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I had never seen a B/T Coonhound before my first visit to South Eastern KY to visit my inlaws. I saw quite a few of them down there. In fact, my fil had one named Belle that somebody gave him as payment for fixing something on their trailer.

Chi is uncropped and nobody has ever mistaken her for anything. I did have a neighbor ask me if she was a Min. Pin when she was about 8 weeks old. I choked back laughter and told her no... Then she said something like, Ah, I see, that's what I thought... I used to be a Doberman Breeder... LOL

In the July Dog Fancy, some Doberman judge warned that uncropped/undocked dogs could be confused by the general public with Coonhounds and that mistake could be detrimental since by and large Coonhounds don't mind people rushing up to pet them and Dobermans do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
lol, that "yall" can give us away huh. Yes i grew up in GA, we had a hunting club at the end of our property, they themselves didnt use dogs to hunt. However Blk and tans were not the main dogs that were used in hunting/tracking down in GA(at the time at least not the ones we knew or came across)maybe in a different part of the state of course, so i didnt get a chance to see one till we moved here. Hubby and father-in-law hunts but they dont track with dogs either. I think you can still hunt with dogs in NC. Not sure about GA, i havent been home and around them hunters in a long time.

Oh yeah I can see how those 2 could be confussed as well. a uncropped blue and a weimaraner. My guess is that people who are not that familiar with different breeds just throw out a guess and hope its right. Even though i know it can get on nerves, but sometimes ya gotta find it funny...at how off they can be. lol like poor micdobe with the italian greyhound...being asked if it was a great dane pup.

·
Registered
255 Posts
TracyJo said:
I had never seen a B/T Coonhound before my first visit to South Eastern KY to visit my inlaws. I saw quite a few of them down there. In fact, my fil had one named Belle that somebody gave him as payment for fixing something on their trailer.

Chi is uncropped and nobody has ever mistaken her for anything. I did have a neighbor ask me if she was a Min. Pin when she was about 8 weeks old. I choked back laughter and told her no... Then she said something like, Ah, I see, that's what I thought... I used to be a Doberman Breeder... LOL

In the July Dog Fancy, some Doberman judge warned that uncropped/undocked dogs could be confused by the general public with Coonhounds and that mistake could be detrimental since by and large Coonhounds don't mind people rushing up to pet them and Dobermans do.
Hey im glad you said that, and im sorry i dont want to change the subject at all here. but want to ask now that someone mentioned it. Our dobe vegas is usually pretty good about meeting other people. you can tell he wants to check people out make sure they are ok. never tried to bite anyone or anything. he is 2yrs old now. he has always gone to the vet on base. never had a problem. now that we have moved out into town, we took him to a new vet. Jason said when the lady came out to get him, she just walked right up to him to put the slip lead on him(i call it a slip lead, its the one that makes a collar and leash at once and slips over the head) anyways he said he didnt lunge at her but was sittin there and when she went to put it on his head, he turned and snapped at her. now mind you she didnt try to introduce herself to him either....i wasnt sure how to take it other than maybe he was uncomfortable cause it was somewhere new with new people....or what...i dont want to think this is a bad sign, but maybe bad on her part. i was always told growing up that you never ever just walk up to someones dog that you dont know cause you NEVER KNOW.....some input please...Thanks

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I can see how they might see a coonhound in the face...but really only if it were to be a thicker boned doberman...or one that was bred to big like the ones we talk about in the other thread...the muzzle seems thicker...
also not only are the ears longer...isnt a coonhounds body kind of like a bloodhound? kinda rolly polly...droopy and saggy? lol Yeah people that dont see dobes in person or arent familiar with them make lots of mistakes like that...
I have been told that duchess looks like a greyhound/dobe mix....but they dont realize that dobes usually do have a long more slender nose lol ...kinda like a greyhound...but not so much.
also with the colors...it happens...blues and fawns get asked if they are Weims...and there was a red dobe at the dog park with duchess...and when they heard both were dobes they would go "BOTH ARE DOBERMANS?" lol
I guess people just recognize the markings...or ears...and assume one thing or another....whatever they are more familiar with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts