Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you apply Musher's Secret to the pads as needed (for example: right before a walk on hot asphalt or ice/snow) or do you use it for preventative purposes (for example: massage it into the pads every few days)?

Sophie has had problems with her pads (exactly the same issue as what many report here... crack or nick in the pad that she then licks and makes worse), and I've scoured the threads here on how to combat the issue. I believe I'm going to go with a combination:
- comfrey soak for acute pain, crud, cuts/abrasions
- Tuf-Foot and Musher's Secret for protection and maintenance

The Musher's Secret directions infer that you use it as needed and it's not intended as a maintenance measure. I love directions, but I'm also interested in users experience here.

Any information is always greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've always used it as needed and apply it to all pads (stopper pads too) before they go out running on hard, dry, hot ground. Doesn't take much to burn pads up in this weather.

You can use something like Bag Balm on a regular basis if the pads are dry.

Reactions: WillyStDobe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used it as needed and apply it to all pads (stopper pads too) before they go out running on hard, dry, hot ground. Doesn't take much to burn pads up in this weather.

You can use something like Bag Balm on a regular basis if the pads are dry.
Thank you! I will look at the Bag Balm. Here's hoping that these new measures will give her some relief! Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My girl gets horrible dry pads- Sometimes to the point of bleeding. I purchased the large tub of Mushers secret. Then once a week when I do her nails with the dremel, I also lightly dremel her pads if there are any rough spots and use a little paint brush to brush on the MS.

Then for good measure and frankly I like to use it as bonding time, I will give her foot pads a good massage.

It has done WONDERS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts