Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide if this belongs here or in the puppy forum!

I love to think back to the day we brought our girl home, and the first couple days after. This was our first dog, and although I wish I'd done more research (I would never have left the breeder's house with a dog, and I would definitely have called animal control on her, if I'd known what we'd gotten into, for example), my husband and I resolved to do whatever we had to, to make sure Ari could stay with us and live a happy, healthy, doggy life. I can't believe how much she has blessed my life. I HATED dogs before I met her, and now I can't wait for my college roommate to send me pictures of her dog, or to look at all of these pictures here.

The night we brought Ari home, we'd contacted a breeder who lived two hours from our home, and went out to see if we liked what she had. I was shocked at the place; it was so dirty! Piss-soaked rags and feces were everywhere, with smears where the dogs had run through them. The puppies were all terribly frightened at the smallest noises. The mom had to be locked up in another part of the house. Two aggressive, large, male dogs hovered; the owner quickly grabbed them and shut them up in another room. The atmosphere was one of two elderly BYBs who didn't do a single thing for the betterment of Dobermans.

I didn't know any better at the time, and neither did my husband. I wish we had, but the way I see it, even wonderful gifts can come from the scummiest places.

Ari was the only puppy in the litter who stood her ground, while the rest whimpered and huddled in a corner as far away from us as possible. We liked the way she held her head, lofty and proud. She was the right color for us--we wanted a little black Dobe and the rest were reds.

When we chose her, the breeder pulled her into the kitchen (also covered in soaked rags--ew!), and we studied her, stroked her, and talked with the breeder. She tried to tell us that we could show Ari, or breed her, or whatever we wanted--it's all cool with her! We never intended Ari to be a show dog--we wanted a companion instead--and I flat-out refused to let her breed, so it was never an issue, but after researching after the fact, I have become more and more enraged with the irresponsible attitude of the breeder.

We put her in the car, cuddled up in my husband's lap. When she threw up on the drive home, he patiently set her outside and cleaned her up before we continued on home. It was late at night by the time we got home, and my hubby had to work the graveyard shift, so we put her in a little kennel we'd prepared for her, with food and blankets (boy was that a mistake! :lol2: ).

Good thing hubby came home early--before the night was over, she'd relieved herself in the middle of the kennel and in her panic over her new place, she ran through the poop up and down the kennel, covering the blankets!

Our first couple days with her were spent introducing her little by little to our house and just falling in love with her.

This was Ari the night be brought her home:

She already likes her daddy!

And two months after...naps!

What were your first few days like?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My first day with Cher was actually only about 5 months ago. I met Elaine at a halfway point between our homes, a couple of hours north of here. Cher was fine, Elaine tried hard to act okay, but I knew she was a bit of a wreck ;) Elaine and I are friends, she knew Cher was going to a good home and would be well taken care of, but it's always hard placing an older dog that you have raised. I was excited to share my life with Cher, but at the same time I felt for Elaine. Cher moved right in with no problem, got along great with all the other dogs, the cat, and the birds here, and followed me around everywhere I went. "Where ya goin'?" "What'cha doin'?" "Do you need any help?" "Can I be a lap dog?" "Can I perch on top of your shoulder from behind the couch?" She never skipped a meal, she never whined, she never acted stressed, she was just very mellow about the move. And boy I'll tell you, it's WAY easier aquiring a 15 month old puppy who has been well raised, housebroken, and trained already than it is a 12 week old puppy! LOL

Here's Cher during her first days here....

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
January 2nd I woke up ready to start the New Year, full of hope that this year wouldn't be so full of loss as the past two had been. I was determined to face my Dad's death anniversary coming on January 6th with a happy heart. With in moments of getting up and taking my Weim Mason out....I could tell he was going to have a seizure, he was due and I could always tell by looking at him one was eminent. But this time was different. By 9:30am he was still going into full blown seizures, so I took him to the vet. She gave us additional medication to take him home, it didn't work so we took him back by noon. The vet put him on IV Pheno to try and stop the seizures, his temp sored to 107.5. By 5:30pm.....the vet called and said we should do the right thing....he was brain damaged and the seizures still didn't stop. He was suffering beyond belief. I had only put my Weim Uno down 3 short months before....I was numb with grief. Mason was a rescue and the sweetest dog I've ever owned. We did the right thing. This was a Tuesday.....I was so miserable that I said NO MORE DOGS EVER, I can't take the pain! Well by Friday....I was looking for a Male Red Doberman puppy! I had wanted one for over 20 years, but always ended up with a different dog because I adopted. I wanted one last puppy in my lifetime. By Sunday I had a picture of my Petey, and by Monday I committed to buying him. We drove to pick him up on Friday. The breeder carried out this little 20 pound guy and placed him on the floor, he looked a tiny bit confused and then immediately started looking for trouble! His little wiggly butt just won me over! The first weeks were a blurr, a mix of sadness over my fresh loss and total happiness at finally having my Dobie. Petey has been a total crazy handful since day one! One moment I will remember is when I walked into my vets office with him for the first time, the girls at the desk all came running out and had tears in their eyes....all went through Uno's cancer and Mason's death with me, they were soooo happy to see me joyful again. Now when I come in, they still come out to see the monster! The last 6 months have been a blurr ....but now I see why Uno and Mason were taken from me at only 9 & 6, because Petey was meant to join our lives. He is my hiking buddy, and loves everyone in my family the same, unlike Uno and Mason who only loved me. My boys are just nuts over Petey.....and he is hubby's baby boy! Petey is fun, he brings laughter and joy to our home. Knowing how much my dad would have loved Petey's personality....I know he had a hand leading him to me.

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Me and hubby had talked for a long long time about adding to our family. Our first thoughts were that we would like a weimeraner - they are such beautiful looking dogs - and so our research started. After much reading and delving into the breed we decided that a weimeraner wouldn't be suitable and then started looking at other breeds. My husband (Richard) had always had a long distance love affair with the beauty of the doberman and so our research started again - this time we felt this would be the breed for us.

We then started looking for a suitable breeder and found Tia. We went to visit her and her family and instantly fell in love. She climbed on my knee and refused to get down - and that was it, love!! We couldn't take her home for a couple of weeks as we were going away and so the long wait started!!

Eventually came the day that we could go and pick her up and it was beautiful! I picked her up and she just never wanted to be put down. We had a 2 hour drive home and she was as good as gold - a little darling. We have never looked back since, she is such a massive part of our family. She is given total love and gives it back every single day. She is a total sweetheart!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts