Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Capone got his ears cropped by Dr. Jezbera on friday. Everything went well and he did great this whole weekend. Doesn't mess with the cup on his head, but does the occasional shaking of the the head. I woke up this morning to find his forehead and the back of his head sticky on the perimeter of the cup. Its definitely puss because u can smell it. we called Dr. Jezberas office and they said it has to be the new tape that they are using, because this has come up with other dogs lately...WHY WOULD YOU USE A TAPE THAT HAS CAUSED THIS PROBLEM WITH OTHER DOGS!!!!!!!!! my poor little guy woke up in so much pain...my gf is at the vet with Capone waiting to be seen, but i have no idea how they are going to fix this. Somebody at the office said that they only have experience with the upside down cup method. I cant imagine putting a cup on him with his head like this....ANY SUGGESTIONS???

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Poor Capone :(

To answer your question as to why they would continue to use that tape, like humans, all dogs have different reactions to different materials.

I hope everything at the Vet goes well. Poor Capone :(

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh...btw...that pic was from friday...on his way home after surgery...i just wanted to show u guys where exactly the problem is.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
From the picture, I'm assuming the cup/tape rubbed on his forehead and the back of his head causing irritation. There are several options besides using the cup. Like Dobienut said, you can use a foam block, but that probably would just rub the same area and you'd still have a problem. The other two options are to just leave the ears hanging until the stitches are out and the edges have healed or the ears can be glued together over the top of the head to keep them from flopping around. I've had to do both methods with different pups over the years and the ears come out fine. :)

Jan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my gf just left the vet...they said that he had an allergic reaction to the tape that they used..they prescribed him some antibiotics and left his ears loose...i have a couple more questions...

will this effect how long i have to post after the stitches are out...

I've seen a method where they tie the ears together behind the head somehow, will this be a good way to go???

Marieldobes do u have pics or a link of how to tie the dogs ears behind the head so they wont flop???

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
my gf just left the vet...they said that he had an allergic reaction to the tape that they used..they prescribed him some antibiotics and left his ears loose...i have a couple more questions...

I've seen a method where they tie the ears together behind the head somehow, will this be a good way to go???

Marieldobes do u have pics or a link of how to tie the dogs ears behind the head so they wont flop???

You do not tie the ears. You glue them--I'll let Marieldobes help ya with that as I have no experience with it. Personally, I'd be inclined to leave them alone for a few days at least, to heal.

Poor little dude. Shame he's had such a nasty reaction. Hopefully the antibiotics will have him feeling better very soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im sorry, i really didnt mean tie...im just a little flustered from this morning...Dr. Jezbera is one of the best ear cropping vets in so cal. if he said just to leave them alone for 2-3 days i think i should trust him. they will try the cup with a different tape on thurs or friday depending on how his head looks...

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Too bad for the little guy
I would leave them and do not show concerns over it to the pup and redirect redirectredirect, if the pup starts messing with them.
I would demand free postings because you now, you have a setback and they were aware of other dogs having allergic reactions.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I agree with everybody else...at this point I would just leave them down and not worry about glueing them over the top of the head - they'll be fine. :)

Jan

Reactions: mpalacios1331

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts

This will NOT affect how long you have to post after the stitches are out.

They STITCH the ears together--it's NOT a good way to go. The cup, the foam block, the ears left loose, and the ears glued together over the top of the head are all proven methods that are easy on the dog.

Either that or you have seen ears that have been glued together over the top of the head--you can do that but letting them hang is just fine and the glue is an adhesive--since you don't know what the adhesive or tape was he reacted to I'd just let them be until healed and the sutures come out.

You can't ever predict when a dog will react to a particular type of tape adhesive. Just make sure you find out the brand name of the tape so that when you start posting you don't accidently get that type of tape and cause yet another tape reaction. The information that the puppy reacted to a particular type of tape should go into his vet records and your records for him so that any vet treating for any reasons knows that he has reacted to a particular tape.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all your help guys!!!

i woke up this morning and there is still pus coming out the top of his head where the cup was, its not a crazy amount, but it hasnt stopped completely...will this continue for a couple days until the antibiotics kick in???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello!

I hope your dog's ears get better fast. It is very sad and upsetting to see our dog suffering.

I guess there are many ways to do ears cropping. Most of the ones I see on the net involved putting a cup on the head and taping it. Personally, I think it is a very good way to do it. I wish the vets around here were using this method.

Here they use the Tampax Tampon method. Those tampons are rigid, just the right length and there already have absorbing material at one end. They stick it in the dog's ears then they tape around it. It works. However every 3 or 4 days, you have to remove the whole setup to let the ears breath and dry up. After 4 or 5 times the tape have removed all the hairs from the ears.

The vet that did my first 7 Dobes used to taped the ears right away after the operation. Almost all the time when you removed the tape there was gooey and smelly stuff = infection.....That was not pleasant and the vet did not gave any pain killer.....

This vet is retired now. I was lucky to find another vet who does ear cropping. She is also an old vet. All the young vets in a 100 miles radius from my place do not do ear cropping and give you the evil eye when talk about it...But this is another subject.

Anyway, this new (old) vet uses the same Tampax Tampon method, but only put them about 1 week after the surgery. During that week the ears are let to dry and the wounds heal much faster. She only put some tape at the end so the tip of the ears will not curl up. The dog is also put on pain killer for the first 3 days.

Aryaearcropped2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This photo was taken at the clinic when I picked my girl up after the surgery.
She was happy to see her daddy....

Then after that week, The ears are taped and we alternate tape on for 4 days, tape off for 3 days and so on until the ears stand up by themselves.

Arya support | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Then the final result
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doberman_1/6067519647/

Arya5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
:nicejob:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts