Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, this morning rather, at 2am my sister called me saying she was on her way over. I thought it was a bit odd, but she gets off from work at a little after midnight, so I didn't think too much of it. Well, when she arrived she called me to meet her at the car. She stepped out of the car and told me to take a look inside...what do you suppose was sitting calmly in the back seat?...

A massive fawn doberman.

She had found him wandering the streets by her work, and she eventually persuaded him to come to her. Naturally, once she got him into the car, she thought of me. She's putting up some flyers today, but I'm honestly hoping no one responds, lol.

The first thing we did was to give him a nice flea bath. Then I set him up in one of Apollo's crates (He has one in the living room and one in the bedroom), where he peacefully slept the night through. He's very quiet but he does not seem afraid or cautious at all. He's curious, and will trot right over to you and give your face a nice big lick. He's an extremely friendly boy, and gorgeous, even though he looks a little under weight.

I also think he may be mixed because his face looks kind of like the face of a pit, and his coat is a bit more rough than Apollo's (but that could just be because it was dirty and not taken very good care of). When I post pics you can give me your opinions. As I said, he is fawn, and has the normal dobie rust markings, and has a docked tail, cropped ears and has his dew claws removed. He let me take a look at his teeth and they're all there, and the gums look very healthy and the teeth are very white.

I believe he is housetrained (he kept trying to get my attention but I wasn't sure what he wanted...which ended in a nice big puddle on the floor) although he appears as though he was an outside dog. He has scratches on his nose and face, and his coat loks very weathered and deffinitely needs a lot of TLC. The tub was absolutely FILTHY after his bath, so I can immagine he was outside a lot.

He is an absolute terror to walk (and I thought Apollo was bad)! I added some links to Apollo's prong and even with that he is still walking ME, but I imagine he was just tossed in someone's back yard and never really walked much. I have discovered so far that he does not have food agression, nor is he agressive towards people...although he goes INSANE at the sight of a squirell.

He's going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, so I've been keeping Apollo in the bedroom until we know if he's healthy and whatnot. He has poopied, and it looks normal and he has gone through two bowls of food and about a million bowls of water...including some dirty bathwater, yuck! He likes to sit with his head on my lap, and he's very playful...although he doesn't quite understand fetch. He also understands "NO" and "sit" although I'm thinking he's possibly just sitting because he's wondering what the hell it is I want him to do.

I have a few questions before we visit the vet tomorrow!

1) How will I know if he's properly vaccinated?
2) What is the best way to introduce him to Apollo? They have seen each other when I took Apollo out for a walk, but they have not actually met.
3) Is it really going to be a big problem having two males?

Thanks so much for reading my novel of a post!! And thanks in advance for any advice/comments!

·
Registered
93 Posts

I used to have 2 male Dobermans. There were no problems between them (they were both three-month puppies) but at that time I didn't know anything. I listened to people's advice not to have 2 male Dobes so I gave one of them to my uncle. Sometimes I miss him a lot and I wish I had not done so.

Maxi on the left, Hercules on the right.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Two males can be a huge problem. It cna work but no one can tell you if it will specifically in your situation.

As far as vacinations you can have him tittered(titered,which is it?!), but the vet will probally just reccomend revaccinating to make sure.

to introduce them,maybe a park. But keep them seperated in the house for now anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It can Work out, Good but if it doesnt boy will You know. The way You Described Him it seems like it would be ok. But, You just never know until You try, of course. Taking, them Both to the Park is also a Good idea. Good Luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pippin said:

I used to have 2 male Dobermans. There were no problems between them (they were both three-month puppies) but at that time I didn't know anything. I listened to people's advice not to have 2 male Dobes so I gave one of them to my uncle. Sometimes I miss him a lot and I wish I had not done so.

Awww, they're really adorable! It's sad that you gave one away :( Do you still see him?

·
Registered
93 Posts
IloveMyDobie31 said:
Awww, they're really adorable! It's sad that you gave one away :( Do you still see him?
Yes it's really sad. My uncle lives far from me and I've only met Maxi once since the day I gave him to my uncle.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh poor dog.. I really hope that it works out for you.. and him. My friend has two male one intact the other not and all is fine between them. I am sure each family is different. well, good luck..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
1) How will I know if he's properly vaccinated?
2) What is the best way to introduce him to Apollo? They have seen each other when I took Apollo out for a walk, but they have not actually met.

You really can't know if he is properly vaccinated, best bet is too just have it done..

When you introduce them, keep them leashed. And just let them sniff eachother. Maybe go for a walk with both of them so they can get a little accustomed to eachother's company first (with another person!)

And have the vet check for a microchip... you never know! Might be someone lost beloved pet!

As for two males, I've heard both ways... I had a male dobe and a male shepard that lived fine together. And many people have had male dobes with no problem. But I know many people have had problems also, and serious ones at that. Definetely don't leave them alone together, just to be safe.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Pippin said:
3) I used to have 2 male Dobermans. There were no problems between them (they were both three-month puppies) but at that time I didn't know anything. I listened to people's advice not to have 2 male Dobes so I gave one of them to my uncle. Sometimes I miss him a lot and I wish I had not done so.

Awww, they are dolls, must have broke your heart... But maybe it saved one of their lives too.. I guess you just will never know.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
the problem with two male dogs is that its not always something obviously apparent -- they may get along great for a LONG TIME, and then one day (maybe the other dog hits sexually maturity, maybe there is a bitch in heat, maybe one feels sick that day, etc) things hit the fan and then they never go back.

personally, despite having a well trained adult male doberman that minds me, is good with ALL dogs in the house, and has been around multiple dogs, i would never bring a male dog into the to live there - because i love my dog, would never want anything to happen to him, and living in the stressful environment of having to keep two dogs separate at all times is just something i would never want to do.

so yea, personally, i wouldnt do it. while my dog may get along with a nother dog for days, months, even years - someday it could and probably WILL blow up. and after that it isnt pretty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the problem with two male dogs is that its not always something obviously apparent -- they may get along great for a LONG TIME, and then one day (maybe the other dog hits sexually maturity, maybe there is a bitch in heat, maybe one feels sick that day, etc) things hit the fan and then they never go back.
I know we're talking about males here but I know of a couple who have two female Dobermans, that if left in the same room together, would fight to the death. Things were alright between the two dogs for a couple years til they had it out... Pretty badly at that. Now they cannot have them in the same room together and must rotate the two of them between the living room and the bedroom.

I'd hate to tell you not to keep the new guy but at the same time, you're trying to raise a puppy and bringing in a new dog(male or not) during this time, might prove to be more than you can handle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dobe_Paws said:
I know we're talking about males here but I know of a couple who have two female Dobermans, that if left in the same room together, would fight to the death. Things were alright between the two dogs for a couple years til they had it out... Pretty badly at that. Now they cannot have them in the same room together and must rotate the two of them between the living room and the bedroom.

I'd hate to tell you not to keep the new guy but at the same time, you're trying to raise a puppy and bringing in a new dog(male or not) during this time, might prove to be more than you can handle.
The fact that I am trying to raise a puppy is also one of my major concerns. I feel like I'm nowhere near being "finished" (if you ever can be) bonding with Apollo, and teaching him how to be a good dog. I just think he's still so young and I wouldn't want anything to interfere with his learning process...Not to sound heartless, but Apollo IS my main concern.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
doberkim said:

personally, despite having a well trained adult male doberman that minds me, is good with ALL dogs in the house, and has been around multiple dogs, i would never bring a male dog into the to live there - because i love my dog, would never want anything to happen to him, and living in the stressful environment of having to keep two dogs separate at all times is just something i would never want to do.

so yea, personally, i wouldnt do it. while my dog may get along with a nother dog for days, months, even years - someday it could and probably WILL blow up. and after that it isnt pretty.
I love my dog very much as well, and I would never want to put him in an unhealthy situation...but I would also love to help this other dog any way I possibly can. Although Apollo's well being is deffinitely my main concern, I know that every dog/situation is different, and it may be possible that this could work out...but as you said, it could work for a time and then fall apart abruptly one day...it's a risk I'm going to have to decide if I want to take :-/

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
personally, if apollo is your first concern, i dont think its a horrible thing to rehome this dobe - you did not g out looking for him, and youve already done enough. contact a local rescue and explain the situation. you have a valid concern - you already have one puppy at home, and he needs a LOT of attention - its a very hard situation to bring a second dog into, whether or not the second dog is a male.

i forget - did you guys check to see if his owners are looking for him?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
He needs to be scanned for a microchip. Someone could be looking for him. I read that you are going to put up signs, most papers also let you run a found dog ad for free.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CoAl-s-Mom said:
He needs to be scanned for a microchip. Someone could be looking for him. I read that you are going to put up signs, most papers also let you run a found dog ad for free.
He was scanned and doesn't have a microchip. Thanks for the paper idea, I hadn't thought about that! Right now he's staying with my sister while we keep looking for his owners. If we can't find them then she's just going to keep him because we decided it would be best for both dogs if they aren't in the same living situation. She also has a lot of time on her hands and a nice big back yard for him to run around it, so I guess it'll work out for the best if she does end up keeping him.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doberkim said:
personally, if apollo is your first concern, i dont think its a horrible thing to rehome this dobe - you did not g out looking for him, and youve already done enough. contact a local rescue and explain the situation. you have a valid concern - you already have one puppy at home, and he needs a LOT of attention - its a very hard situation to bring a second dog into, whether or not the second dog is a male.

i forget - did you guys check to see if his owners are looking for him?
We posted signs around where she found him hoping someone would respond, but no one has as of yet. We told the humane society and they said they would let us know if someone called about a missing dog. Thanks to everyone's advice and giving it a lot of thought, we've decided that my sister should hold onto him for the time being until we can locate his family. She's waiting to see how her badly her boyfriend's allergies annoy him, and if it's not too bad with him back on his medication then she'll decide if she wants to keep him if he's not claimed. She picked him up last night and as of now they're all doing well, so who knows. She also doesn't have any dogs so if he gets his allergies under control (actually takes his medicine) it should work out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks to everyone's advice and giving it a lot of thought, we've decided that my sister should hold onto him for the time being until we can locate his family.
I'm glad you've come to a decision. :) I know it's temping to want to give another dog a good home but before you let your heart run away with your head, you need to make a realistic decision, if not your own sake, for Apollo's. We do a lot of cat rescue at the clinic where I work and about three months ago a gorgeous young Persian was brought in for adoption and it was so difficult for me not to take him home. On top of being in love with the breed, he was just the most laid back, affectionate cat(aside from my Sampson, of course!) but I had to keep reminding myself that I already had four cats(at the time :( ) and that's my limit. Sometimes you wish you could save them all but then you'd wind up on the 6 o'clock news as an animal hoarder. lol

Now go give Apollo a big hug to remind him of what a good mom he has. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts