Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, but don't worry i'm not here to support those guys. I just spent the last 2 hours reading kimbertal threads and even if they weren't a puppy mill at this point i wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. i just wanted to share my story and ask for advice on how to proceed;

So i have an odd story. 30 years ago my dad brought home an AKC registered doberman pinscher puppy named Nubian Sundancer. When he was about 2 years old i was born, and although he was good with the baby (aka me), i had inherited my mothers allergies, so we had to be separated most of the time. He started to poop on the floor from separation anxiety i suppose, and around the time i turned 2 or 3 it was too much because they didn't have the time to train him and with me with their jobs. so they gave him up. His breeder was affiliated with a kimbertal kennel, who actually got his parents from kimbertal kennel. he was returned to the kimbertal (yes he was nuetered)and it seems like he was able to live out his life in peace. i grew up always thinking that someday i would rescue Sundance and bring him home. Around the age of 16 i realized that he had probably passed away. i never really knew sundance as i was so little so i don't have any good memories of him, just what the folks tell me. (his name was my first word) They are very old school, so their description is pretty much" ya he was a good dog but he pooped on the floor"

i became a dog lover/rescue worker/ and dog sitter etc. i looooove dogs. When i was old enough to rescue a dog, i took in Chuck the german shepherd mutt from my shelter and he lived to the age of 16. now i'm ready for a new dog, and after checking my lifestyle and personality and consulting many professionals (okay co-workers), i've decided to get a doberman, and since the breeder where sundance came from is still active i was interested in pursuing his family line... is there a way to make sure that this is the same family line or to find out if sundance's family was not bred again? will they think i'm crazy for wanting this? how should i go about doing this? i want to get a dobe and raise him right, and get him from a good breeder but i'm afraid i'll come off as a crazy person. and now seeing that kimbertal is such a huge commercial operation i'm just so disappointed. do you have any advice for me?

all my hard work on animal rescue has probably been influenced by the one dog i could never rescue but always wanted back. if you could give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it. i've dedicated so much of my life to helping dogs, saving pit bulls and rotties, rescuing older dobies, and training them. the loss of this one dog has turned me into a fighting force for responsible dog ownership. i know i can't buy from kimbertal but my heart is broken.

please don't mistake, i still work at a great shelter and will probably end up taking one of those sweeties home too. This is just something I can't let go. i have always wanted a doberman puppy to show the world how amazing this breed is. Hopefully no one will judge me for wanting this. it took a long time for me to come to terms with getting a pure bred puppy instead of a rescue, but the heart wants what it wants. please be gentle with me...

thanks~!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If your specifically looking for his line you could try to call Kimbertal or find and call his actual breeder and ask but I don't think your chances of finding anything are all that good.

No reputable breeder in the US uses Kimbertal lines, however, there are some amazing breeders here.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
To be perfectly honest, chances are that Sundance did not come from a good breeder, if they were using Kimbertal lines they were not a good breeder, if they are still using Kimbertal lines, they are still not a good breeder.

DT will not support people buying puppies from BYBs, greeders or puppymills. We can however, point you in the right direction towards buying a puppy from an ethical, reputable breeder.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I totally get where you are coming from. I lost my girl of almost 11 years this summer. I was heartbroken, to the point of contemplating the crazy (I just want another Julie, I have to find her BYB family). Particuarly insane since I am active in our dobe rescue. I got over it, and have a sweet little GCDR puppy, but there was that moment.

I have read on here that k'tal tattoos their puppies, and ALOT of those wind up in rescue in their neck of the woods. A perfect, sent from your Sundance, scenario would be to look to the rescues and see if they have who you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
8,615 Posts
There was a time .... many many years ago, that Kimbertal was semi reputable - so it is not inconceivable that he came from decent breeding.

At this point thought I'd just plan on finding a good breeder if you want a puppy or look at rescue. It is not at all unusual to find kimbertal dogs in rescue.

There is apparently and "Nubia Dobermans" in Maryland, but I don't know anything at all about them. No website that I could find.

·
sandy2233
2,462 Posts
As much as you hope, a full brother or sister or even the same breeding will not bring your previous dog back. Each dog deserves to be loved for its individuality. I think all of us agree that we love dobies for their dobie "personalities" That is universal. But to expect a litter mate to be "that" dog that you are trying to replace is setting a new pup up for some expectations that it might not be able to live up to. I speak with experience. I did want my dog to be replaced that I had lost. But I expected those new pups to be my old dog. And they were GOOD DOGS on their own merit. But it took me way too long to figure that out. Each has its own spot in your heart. Love them for that.

·
Premium Member
8,615 Posts
I must have been typing with my eyes closed..... just saw my spelling errors - YIKES!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
As much as you hope, a full brother or sister or even the same breeding will not bring your previous dog back. Each dog deserves to be loved for its individuality. I think all of us agree that we love dobies for their dobie "personalities" That is universal. But to expect a litter mate to be "that" dog that you are trying to replace is setting a new pup up for some expectations that it might not be able to live up to. I speak with experience. I did want my dog to be replaced that I had lost. But I expected those new pups to be my old dog. And they were GOOD DOGS on their own merit. But it took me way too long to figure that out. Each has its own spot in your heart. Love them for that.
The OPs dog died like 20 yrs ago, if I am reading the post correctly. I doubt he is looking for a littermate or full sibling.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
OP, you're in MD? Check out DARE, they're a very active Doberman rescue with lots of Dobes who need homes. You might find a good Doberman there. Sometimes puppies do turn up in rescues.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
There is a huge difference between BYBs/mass breeding operations and ethical breeders. I am heavily involved in dog rescue and have a background working in the animal care field like you. I have fostered and personally saved countless abused and neglected dogs over the years and have built up a great reputation in the rescue community. I did my research and purchased a Doberman pup from an ethical breeder last year. I got some flack from fellow rescuers, some weren't educated about the world of responsible breeding and backed off once I explained things, and others still put me down to this day. In fact, I lost one of my good rescue friends who I've known for 6 years because of my choice to purchase a puppy. She called me a hypocrite for rescuing dogs yet buying a puppy and constantly put me down about being interested in conformation so I finally cut her out of my life. I also lost a friend of 5 years over my choice to be pro-cropping. So yeah, you'll probably be judged but if the rescue nuts don't want to understand then there's nothing you can do but live your own life and be confident and happy with your choices. I am passionate about rescue BUT I also am a rational person with a level head and an understanding of both sides.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
@Zelda- huh? What gave you the impression anyone was being judgmental?
I was responding to the OP's concern about being judged that she stated in her post and telling her about my experiences with being a rescuer who bought a puppy:

please don't mistake, i still work at a great shelter and will probably end up taking one of those sweeties home too. This is just something I can't let go. i have always wanted a doberman puppy to show the world how amazing this breed is. Hopefully no one will judge me for wanting this. it took a long time for me to come to terms with getting a pure bred puppy instead of a rescue, but the heart wants what it wants. please be gentle with me...

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Hey, I didn't mean to seem like I was being judgmental. All I was doing was mentioning that pups do come along in rescue, and if you want to rescue and still have a puppy that there are ways to do it.

I have nothing against buying a puppy from an ethical breeder. I might go that route for my SAR dog someday, if I am lucky enough to have that opportunity.

Whoops, I just read your other post. Teach me to post before reading the rest of the thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts