Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel compelled to do this because I see so often on here people post pictures of overweight Dobermans and they make outrageous claims (IMO) of things like the dog is "solid muscle" and "not an ounce of fat on him/her." The dog inevitably is always a porker.

So, for future reference everyone, THIS IS NOT A FAT DOBERMAN.
This is actually pretty damn close to "not having an ounce of fat on her". She's not a Hulk by any means but the girl is literally 75-lbs of agile muscle.
Notice you can actually see muscle, not ripples of fat, not a gut, there are no neck rolls around the collar (and she has a wet neck!).

And since Tali is no longer a fatty, she doesn't mind donating a couple fat pics to convey what a fat Doberman looks like.

FAT DOBERMAN
(and still shockingly not as bad as many I see posted on here with people claiming they're "all muscle")

Just because Tali and I have worked hard to get her back down to 59-lbs I'll post a couple NOT FAT pics of Tali for reference (and for her self-esteem).

If you see a GUT, NECK ROLLS, RIPPLES/WAVES ACROSS THEIR BODY, if you CAN NOT FEEL THE RIBS, SEE SOME RIBS when they move YOUR DOBERMAN IS FAT. I don't care if they're a puppy. YOU CAN MAKE PUPPIES FAT.

Everyone, please, feel free to post examples of your dogs whether they're fat or not fat examples.

I am continually amazed by the BYB's dogs some people are impressed by and actually brag that the dog weighs 120-lbs when the poor fatty looks like it couldn't even get up for another sandwich. I seriously think some people need a picture reference of what FAT does and does not look like.

/rant :screama:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, this helps in dealing with the rescues. We (I) assume their under wait just because they are a rescue, and so do others this will help in giving a physical profile of the dog to the adopters as well.:D

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts

Not a Dobe, but also not fat.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
:thewoman: Amen (((Brigette)))) :thewoman:

What a timely thread. Someone I talked to @Kalamazoo show said "seems today we were judged by the pound".
It needs to STOP!!!
Took Nina into the vet yesterday(a doberman person also) who said the weights they keep them @ in TT, mostly males, is UNHEALTHY.
But I guess it's not just a problem in dobermans.

I highly recommend the book "Show Dog" by Josh Dean(great for newbies interested in showing also), it mentions the problem as well.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What were you feeding in the fat pics and how much and what did you change to get to not fat?

Here's Fei at 54-55lbs at 25".
I guess I should give some numbers, too, for full disclosure.

Tali is 4-years old, 24" at the withers. She came to me weighing 58-lbs and I stupidly overfed her because I treated her exactly as I do Fiona when it comes to food. At her heaviest she was 69-lbs. YIKES. Fat, fat, fat and I made her that way. She is now down to 59-lbs and I intend to keep her that way for life.

I was feeding Acana Prarie Harvest, two meals per day, just over a cup each meal. She was also getting training treats, and yummy chews a few times per week - bully sticks, raw bones, peanut butter frozen in kongs, etc. Way, way, way too much for Tali's body type and metabolism.

I basically made the mistake of treating her as though she could/should eat like Fiona with nary a thought as to what her metabolism and appetite may be like. Fiona is not a dog who overeats. Ever. I could dump 10-lbs of food in front of her and she'd eat about a cup and leave the rest. If I dump 10-lbs of food in front of Tali, she'll eat 10-lbs of food, probably vomit, and then eat her vomit, too. Tali has *no* restraint when it comes to food and she puts on weight really easily.

In order to get the weight off I cut her food, increased her exercise/training, cut out calorie intense treats, and on the rare occasion she does get a calorie intense treat - those calories come out of her next meal to balance it.

She's still eating Acana Prarie Harvest, two meals per day, but she's eating 3/4 cup each meal. On days she gets lots of training treats, the meal following is cut to between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of food, scoop of green beans are added to fill her tummy. I also give her a small tablespoon of cottage cheese with dinner just for the probiotics.

She gets about an hour walk per day, free running play in the backyard for as long as she wants, and 4 days per week we are in formal training (obedience and agility, alternating days) for 2-hours at a time. On weekends we hike and play ball to keep her moving.

Fiona's super easy to keep trim and fit because she regulates her meals without any interference from me. I can give her a raw bone as a treat and she may only eat 1/2 cup of food at the next meal no matter how much I put in her bowl. On days without calorie intense treats Fiona gets 1-1/2 cups of Acana Prarie Harvest, two meals per day, 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese with dinner, and 2 scoops of canned chunk chicken breast. Fiona gets the same for meals on training days, and with calorie dense treats in case she wants more (she often doesn't), because her metabolism runs so high and she's so active that she has to have the extra calories or she'd look emaciated.

For reference, Fiona is 3-years old, 27-3/4" at the withers and 75-lbs. Fiona's training schedule and activity schedule virtually mirrors Tali's. Just different body types that require different efforts from me to keep them healthy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
BRW: Your girls are Gorgeous!! Good work!!
And I love the collars (especially the yellow beaded one)

I hope to get Zeus close to fit, only hard work and time can tell :)

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Ilka was two in December. She is 22 inches tall, and in the picture, weighed 52/53 pounds. She is now at 49/50.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sofia weighs just a hair under 90 lbs. She is 28 inches at the shoulder and has never tucked up after her litters.. ( don't know how many the poor girl had before we got her) she also has benign fatty tumors under her belly.. so even though there is a lovely rib shadow showing, she looks.. ummm.. 'full figured'. Here she is being a DoberNanny to me when I was sick.. Such a sweetie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tanner is 26" at the withers and is 65ish pounds She is fed Prey model Raw Diet of : Chicken, Deer, Mackerel, Duck & Goose, 1.5 pounds of meat 2 times a day + home made goose jerky treats for training

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Good idea!

Too skinny:

^ Young, intact boy who wouldn't eat combined also with the fact that any food he did eat just went right through him.

In shape/not fat:

^ I wish I had more and better side shots of him, but it was hard to find any. He looks different too depending on how he's standing or breathing. But I certainly would not want him any thinner. I can easily feel his ribs and when he moves you can see them easily.

In shape/not fat:

Keira's tuck never quite went back to normal after an exploratory after her spay, no matter how good of shape she's in.

^ Don't have many good side shots of her either that show anything well unfortunately. But these are maybe a bit better than Ripley's. :)

Ripley also went through a stage where he was slightly heavy but I can't find any pictures that show that well. It happened accidentally (neutered and also found a food that he could eat and didn't realize he was getting fat until he was) and it didn't last long. I think he was about 78lbs at the time.

ETA: Keira is 24" tall and fluctuates between 58-60lbs. Ripley is (I think) 27" tall and weighs about 73lbs.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Amen. One of the many reasons I love this picture is it shows how lean Flirt is and should be. FYI - we didn't show much and I showed her at this weight, BUT she had a false pregnancy so looked 15 lbs heavier :( I typically show my dogs at the same weight I do agility.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dylan is 29 1/2" or so, and weighed in yesterday at 80.2 (I popped him on the scale at the vet when we went to pick up some Heartguard, just out of curiosity). I am very comfortable with his body condition. I like to see a little rib - lean but not too ribby. He could use some more muscle tone, but he could also use some more exercise. I'm open to comments...

These were all taken this weekend - he's 20 months old

This one was taken last August - he was about 11 months old

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The vet at my regular clinic was a bit shocked when I asked to have another thyroid test done less than 6 months after the previous one as Nietzsche hadn't gained an ounce, but had he been given the freedom to eat as he pleases, he would have turned into a whale. It's because of his skin/coat issues AND the amount of food I had to cut back to keep him from gaining that I knew his thyroid gland had virtually given up.

Being diligent about monitoring weight is such a big deal to me because I loathe seeing fat dogs. Dogs can't enjoy being dogs when they're overweight, and though most adore food and human snacks, mine enjoy running, fetching, swimming, and generally getting into trouble even more. If your dog can't walk a city block without becoming extremely winded, please adjust their diet and gradually increase exercise! You'll both be happier and healthier in the long run!

I have a hard time putting enough weight on Liberty for shows as she is naturally very, very lean and does not overeat. Nietzsche is like Tali in that he would eat everything in sight and then some given the opportunity.

Liberty is on the smaller side of the standard height-wise but she has pretty solid bone for a bitch. I haven't measured her at the withers in quite some time, but she looks her best right around 62lbs. Nietzsche is about 27-27.5 inches but he has very light bone and is quite pointy. He starts to look pudgy if I let him exceed 75lbs, and he typically hovers between 70-72lbs.

Here are my two at what I believe to be healthy weights:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
FAT:

This is mabels sister...exact same size and frame, who briefly came back to us at 87#'s (down from 93#)....she is now a healthy 57-59#'s 3 months later and her owners no longer think the fat rolls on her ribs were muscles...sigh

NOT FAT:

Mabel, she does best at 58#, 60 she looks tubby and 55 she looks a little to ribby

both dogs are about 24.5 in with a decent amount of bone structure.

When I got mabel..too skinny (49-51lbs)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts