Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Diesel has this whiteish discharge that sometimes is on his um lets call it his rocket ;) is that normal? He doesn't seemed phased by it and occasionally licks down there but I've noticed it lately. Is it just a hormone thing or is it an infection? It seems to be when he gets "excited" We have a vet appointment Saturday to get microchipped but I'm going to ask them as well it just seems weird and kind of gross haha

This might be the strangest question I've had to ask haha

Thanks!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Yep, Dreizehn gets it from time to time. It has decreased as he's gotten older.

At first I freaked out and asked all the vets that I worked with. They laughed at me and told me that it was normal.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Dreizehn gets it from time to time. It has decreased as he's gotten older.

At first I freaked out and asked all the vets that I worked with. They laughed at me and told me that it was normal.
I freaked out too. Here I thought I had some weird dog with stuff coming out of him haha

Is there a reason it happens?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I think that it is just something people don't talk about day in and day out in casual conversation.

"Hey Joe, would you like to hear about what's been oozing out of my dog's penis?"

Breeders likely don't give it a second thought. Before I joined dog forums and became educated on a lot of things and surrounded myself by dog people, I never used the correct terminology for a female dog in conversation and it took some getting used to to see and hear it thrown around like nothing. So I understand both sides of it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why is it awkward? If there was something on his toe, would that be awkward? It's just another body part, for crying out loud. I don't know why people have so much trouble mentioning that their dogs have vulvas or penises, etc.
I wasn't trying to upset anyone. It's not something I talk about often or wonder about and I don't see people asking questions about it a lot which was the only reason I worded it the way I did. I get that it's called a penis but is that what the pink thing is called as well? I have no idea I refer to it as his red rocket because I don't know the actual term. I just know its part of his body and it has uses.

I'm sorry if I upset you somehow.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I wasn't trying to upset anyone. It's not something I talk about often or wonder about and I don't see people asking questions about it a lot which was the only reason I worded it the way I did. I get that it's called a penis but is that what the pink thing is called as well? I have no idea I refer to it as his red rocket because I don't know the actual term. I just know its part of his body and it has uses.

I'm sorry if I upset you somehow.
I don't think anyone is upset!

The part that you are thinking is the penis is actually called the prepuce or sheath. The "pink thing/red rocket" is the actual penis. The discharge you have noticed is smegma.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think anyone is upset!

The part that you are thinking is the penis is actually called the prepuce or sheath. The "pink thing/red rocket" is the actual penis. The discharge you have noticed is smegma.
Thank you! See I learned something new. I always thought maybe that's what it actually was but I never needed to look it up so I meet really knew

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
LOL I still cant call a female dog a bitch even though that's the proper term >.< while I am at the shows.
Well, not at a UKC show, at least... it is against their code of conduct (or, whatever it's called).

In other venues, it is wholly appropriate. I'm sure you could become comfortable with it if you practice... it's one criteria for sitting at the grownups' table LOL!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts