Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought we were done with Gunner's ears. His right one is perfect and very strong. It's been without posting or breath-rite strips for about a month and looks great. The left one though is about to drive me CRAZY!!! I have been using breath-rite strips which work well, but as soon as the strip comes out, it is falling again within a few hours. It does stand on it's own, so I know it's not broken or anything, but I'm just wondering if all of this is for nothing. He is 11 months old. I was so upset at seeing it flopping this morning that I just posted the whole ear again but honestly I'm so sick of worrying about it. Should I give up or keep going? Is there any chance it will somehow get strong enough to stand on it's own? I'm so bummed :(

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Does it flop over completely or is it just the tip? A picture would help to see where it's falling.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's wrapped right now so I can't get a picture but the tip flops over. It's not the entire ear (like a hound dog) but the tip flops forward :(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In this picture look at his left ear...you will see the breath-rite strip (about to fall out I know..he got wet). Beside that on the outside is a little kink. That is where the ear tends to break forward and droop.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Ok. Tips can take a while so don't get discouraged just yet. I'd keep posting and put away the breathe rights for now. I'd just keep posting that ear until it starts standing on it's own consistently and then I'd strengthen/reinforce it with breathe-rights for a bit longer.

Fiona has a week ear tip - her right ear - it's a little floppy. I posted her for about a year and then switched to breathe rights. Her tip would actually remain solid for up to 2 weeks before it would start to flop again. I eventually said to hell with it (she was around 14-months old). It's a little floppy but it's not ugly - just a bit weaker than her left - and most people don't even see it unless I point it out in a picture taken at the right time/angle. LOL

Looking back, I probably could have strengthened it enough had I continued full posting until maybe 14-16 months and then switched to breathe rights but I didn't. I looked at it like, "They're standing, she's a pet, we're done."

ETA...Oooh. Where it's flopping and that little kink in the ear, I'd definitely go back to full posting and be sure to stretch the ear up the post.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I don't mind continuing with posting as long as there is a chance it will pay off in the end. It's just SOOOOOO frustrating to put in so much work and see it flopping so easily. Ugh! I feel like we are close...just not there yet :(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, another question. I've read things that say both ears should always be posted even if one is finished. Is that really true? The right one is fine so I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. I don't see the point in irritating it or risking an infection by posting it again. Can I only post the left one?

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I don't know of any problems with posting just the one ear. I know of a lot of people who have done that when one ear is taking longer than the other. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I know.

You may want to PM Dobebug - she is pretty much a crop/posting guru! :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would NOT give up and it should be fine to post 1 ear. My friend used mole foam until her dog was 3, NOT KIDDING. Her situation started way worse than your's did :) She learned the hard way and it wasn't an awful cropper but a worse "taper" so to speak so she started off with really bad pockets and the vet saying it was fine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Definately dont give up ! I sympathize, my girl has a floppy sort of ear or ears, her left one if she lays on it folds over and it also folds inward when super excited. But that was my fault. Thin ears too. :rolleyesww:

I have gotten used to them ( but it does make getting moving/running photos hard, ears flopping all over the place ) :D

his ears look pretty good, just keep going

1 - 10 of 10 Posts