Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a male intact doberman and I was thinking of getting another male in the future. Does anyone own two intact doberman as pets and do they get along?

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
Lots of threads on this forum on SSA (Same Sex Aggression). Several members have cautionary tales. Doesn’t matter the intact status (intact or neutered). Don’t do it.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
Here's a couple of threads to check out. Having two adult male dobes in the same household is asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Not a good idea. They may be fine for a couple of years (or a slim possibility of forever), but then one day seemingly out of nowhere, they will decide that the other dog must die. Too many horror stories about this for me to ever want to keep 2 males together. I've had SSA with two sets of bitches, and have the bite scars from breaking them up to prove it. Trust me, breaking up two 70-80 pound bitches intent on killing each other is bad enough (It takes two people) - I can't even imagine trying to break up two 90+ pound males. I've had to keep bitches muzzled, and then totally separated ..... because accidents happen! It is not a fun way to live. We are currently down to one bitch (I've mostly had 3 Dobes since 2007, and two before that), and will be adding a male in the future. I will never again have two of the same sex. We are getting older and downsized our house and yard this year so having to keep two totally separate would be a major PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts