Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, My name is Michaela,i am new to the site,i have been looking at the forum for a couple of days as a non member and i have found it very useful so decided to sign up.

I have been thinking about getting a doberman puppy it is not a quick decision and i am still deciding if it is the right choice for me. I train dogs as a hobby but i really train people about dog behaviour, dogs are my passion they always have been. I have a 5 year old german shepherd who i have had since he was 8 weeks old, he is my pride and joy.In the past 2 years i have lost 2 dogs due to old age so i now just have Bear. I really want a doberman, i have done a lot of research about the breedbut it is always better to speak to people who have them and live with them.

Bear is very much a mammys boy and follows me everywhere, i would really like a male doberman i just prefer male dogs to females buti just wanted to know what you all think regarding dominance the last thing i want is for Bear to be bullied. I understand that the way you raise themdoes have a huge impact but does anyone have any issues with 2 male dogs living together. Bear has been castrated and the male doberman probably would be too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
from my experience, and i'm sure others will chime in, there is a higher occurrence of same-sex aggression among male Dobermans. to be honest, for the sake of your current dog, i wouldn't risk it--especially since you are a novice when it comes to Dobermans.

good luck.~

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for the loss of your other dogs.

Same-sex aggression is common in Dobes whether or not either dog is altered. Some people are able to house two males together successfully but those individuals tend to be extremely experienced with Dobermans. They're not your average dog owner and it's not a good idea for most dog owners to attempt to house a male Doberman with other males.

There can also be same-sex aggression among female Dobermans although it's generally not as common as it is among males.

If you're getting your first Doberman and introducing the pup/dog into an already male household, the majority recommendation is probably going to be to consider getting a female. I don't know how it is in the UK but in the states, most good breeders won't sell a newbie a male pup if they already own a male dog because it can be such a challenging situation to manage, and potentially dangerous if the dogs were to get a hold of each other at maturity. Speaking for myself, I honestly can't imagine any circumstances where I could pull 2 large breed adult male dogs off each other.

If I were in your situation, I'd consider a female Doberman.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I agree with punkischic and brw, since you are new to the breed I would Get a female dobe. I was once new to the breed as well but my first dobe was a 3 year old male and my other dog at the time was female.

Have you hand any hands on experience with doberman yet. I know some people have dog pitted or even fostered doberman's first before they got one to see if the breed was for them. I have no doubts you tho that you won't fall in love. I have found that a lot of people that love GSD love doberman as well including myself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your responses, we have had dobermans and doberman mixes in the family before but i have never owned one myself.

Bear is the most submissive dog around he has a couldnt care less where he is the pecking order attitude, with the dogs i have owned and fostered before the females always seemed to be the bossier ones and the males a bit more goofy. But like i said i have never owned a dobe so just wanted to know if they are more known to be male-male dominant.

There is only so much you can read in books so it would be nice to hear from anyone that can tell me in their opinion how the temperament/traits differ from female and male dobermans? I know a lot depends on the dog and how he/she is raised but are there any big differences that you have found between the male female doberman?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I agree with what's been said already. I have a male Doberman who is friendly with all other dogs, but I still would not risk bringing another male dog into my home. Most breeders won't even consider selling a male puppy to a home with an exisiting male dog. People have done it, but it's definitely not recommended. I'd look at getting a female if I were in your position. :)

There is only so much you can read in books so it would be nice to hear from anyone that can tell me in their opinion how the temperament/traits differ from female and male dobermans? I know a lot depends on the dog and how he/she is raised but are there any big differences that you have found between the male female doberman?
The biggest difference I notice between males and females is that males are much more in your face needy for attention, and females tend to be a little nicer about it. Also, males are worshippingly in love with you where as females, again, are a little more subtle about it. Keira adores us just as much as Ripley does, but she's not as needy about it. I find that females think for themselves a bit more also. Keira thinks about what she's doing and why, and Ripley just does what other dogs do or wants what another dog has. I'm constantly telling him to think for himself. He's sweet, he's cute, but he's kind of dopey sometimes. I do find my boys were easier to train than Keira (my girl). They're so mushy gushy and slightly more pleasing, where as Keira is more interested in what's going on around her and what's going to please her vs. what exactly I want from her that will make me happy, haha. I've owned two males and one female, but I've interacted with and taken care of many Dobermans over the past seven years or so and have seen similarities between those dogs and my dogs.

I always said that if I could only have one Doberman, it'd be a male. But to be honest, now that Keira's matured and found her brain, I prefer her temperament. I tend to prefer females in any breed really. They seem to think more (sometimes deviously), they're often not as in your face, they love you but not nauseatingly so (sorry Ripley!), they're smaller, they might be a little more "what's in it for me?" but they still enjoy working with you and I kinda like the challenge sometimes, etc. I find these same differences between male and female Dobermans can pretty well be applied to differences between the sexes in any breed, not just Dobes.

A dog is a dog, and gender does not play a huge role IMO, but there are definitely some differences. and there are always going to be exceptions also. My biggest thing with prefering females over males is that I just find males to be too mushy and almost push button. I prefer a dog that thinks for themselves a bit more and is not as emotionally needy as all of the boys I've been around have been. I like a little more independence in my dogs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the link to those other forum posts, I genuinely didnt realise that it could be that serious because so many people do own more than one male (not dobermans), but if i do decide a dobe is right for me i am not going to risk getting a male.

The 2 dogs we lost were both female and they were definately the boss and they would snap at Bear and put him in his place when he got a bit over the top and boisterous, i think after reading all the information you have given me and also due to the fact that Bear has grown up living with females getting a girl is going to be the best choice.

Thank you all so much for your advice it has helped a lot :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to dt!
Please don't make same mistake as I did and get two males. Two males in my family do not live together but when family gets together it is not relaxing vacation because we are always watching dogs like hawks and they are never allowed to be alone for two seconds. They usuly play well but things could get bad in split second. They are not even allowed to run in back yard together. Goodluck!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
......A dog is a dog, and gender does not play a huge role IMO, but there are definitely some differences. and there are always going to be exceptions also. My biggest thing with prefering females over males is that I just find males to be too mushy and almost push button. I prefer a dog that thinks for themselves a bit more and is not as emotionally needy as all of the boys I've been around have been. I like a little more independence in my dogs.
^^^^ +!
- bully puppies can come in M & FM both / and the opposite, is also true / proper puppy selection, will go a long in getting the one you seek for Bear

................Bear is very much a mammys boy and follows me everywhere, i would really like a male doberman i just prefer male dogs to females buti just wanted to know what you all think regarding dominance the last thing i want is for Bear to be bullied. I understand that the way you raise themdoes have a huge impact but does anyone have any issues with 2 male dogs living together. Bear has been castrated and the male doberman probably would be too.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x
Get a FM puppy that was bullied in the litter (one that got play bitten by the litter mates) and was submissive to the attacks.
- andmay be rolled on its belly, instead of fighting back.

Train it playing tug-of-war daily, to build up its confidence...once home / let pup win the daily games and encourage it to play growl.
Train it with a soft hand, harshness will shut this puppy down.
These dogs generally just what to please, and dont question the authority in the house, as much (just my opinion).

Many breeders evaluate their puppies with 10 tests at 49 days old...in a seperate room.
This tells them which puppy is submissive (in range) all the way up to the alpha (bully) ones...kind of a grading system.

My girl Amy, started as the submissive one...and we got the girl of our dreams / and even protected my wife from a dog attack once (very loyal).
Often we baby sit 2 YourkiePoos (one sons dog, and the other dog has 3 legs now).
Our dobe is perfectly gentle around the little ones.
But once she got snarly and nipped at a 150 lb. male that wanted to mount her, from behind.
Just like your boy Bear, she is very needy of love and shows much affection to her family members...our bond is strong.
Strange dogs that treat her with respect, get the same treatment returned / other, not so much...she is full of confidence in herself now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts