Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

link to his petfinder page:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5399743

My mom volunteers at this shelter...and she has fallen for this American Bulldog probably a little pit mix...well at the shelter the workers clean the kennels with the dogs still in it using a hose...well Tito I guess jumped up on the worker while she was spraying...and now the workers all think he is a "bad" dog and "cant be trusted"....My mom and this other volunteer said that he is the best behaved dog at the shelter right now...but all b.c of a dumb little incident I guess they have labeled the dog...You would think they'd be more understanding if they work with animals all the time. anways...so they aren't letting anyone adopt him...and they only want to find a rescue for him to go to. My mom has spent a lot of time with him and does a lot of training with him...the only thing we dont know is if he gets along with other dogs...he doesnt have an obvious dog aggression...but he has never been observed while playing with another dog...anyways she asked me if I thought it was an okay idea to foster him...and since we dont know how he is with other dogs...it is hard to say if we should. If we fostered him we would have to find him a home or a rescue too I think...and so we really don't know how long it could be for. We're in Illinois...does anyone know a rescue or possible family for Tito?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My old Pit, Storm, was the model dog. Her only pet-peeve was water. She would go bonkers if you turned a hose on her or sprayed her with a water bottle or water gun. Not sure why but she would not hesitate to draw blood if you turned a hose on her, in fact she did once and that's how we learned of this phobia. She was fine in the tub and ocean though... Go figure...
It was an easy "problem" to manage though.
I say bring him home and try him out. Be careful on how you introduce him to new dogs. If it doesn't work out, at least you've tried, if it does, then WOOHOO! :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think it's terrible when ppl label a breed because of this. You've actually reminded me of a story my sister told me...

Her Dobe was put in quarantine because some old bitty decided to say he had scratched her while she was walking her dogs (neighbour's witnessed it...said she was full of it and it was her great dane that did it in the excitment to see her two dobes). So anyway he had 10 day quarantine and the lady that was taking care of him told my sister as she visited him (she went the full 10 days) that he's showing signs of aggression. So my sister asked how so? Since he was only a year old or so. The lady then went on to tell her that she tried to SHOVE Bobo in a creat by the rear. So she was trying to PUSH this poor dog into a creat (Which he wasn't introduced to yet before) by the butt and didn't expect him to get upset. My sister just shook her head. Then she went on to tell her that he gave her a weird "look". But wouldn't you know it at the end of the 10 days she praised my sister on what a well behaved dog he is. It just amazes me these ppl that are trained to work with animals are quick to misjudge an animal so fast.

Anyway, sorry I got side tracked lol. I think it's worth a shot to give the little guy a try. As someone said, it won't hurt to see if he does well. If he doesn't, then you know next time :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, It's totally up to my mom...it is probably just in case their "view" of Tito gets any worse...and they continue to push him away from getting a home of his own. I guess someone came in because they were interested in adopting him...but the shelter wouldn't let them. I guess they temperment tested him again after he jumped on the lady and he passed...so I was thinking...what if he tested for Canine Good Citizen would they have any reason to refuse adoption by a family for him then?

yeah people these days are so uptight about dogs...I was walking Duchess to a parade...cause I needed to hand out stuff since my work was sponsoring it...and on the way a lady was walking on the sidewalk...and I was too...I moved over a little so that she had room...and Duchess being the curious social butterfly she is just stuck her long nose out to just sniff/touch her hand...and she lifted her hand away Fast!...as if Duchess was trying to bite it off. PUH! please!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts