Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been almost a week since Bruno has had the Medi-Cal Hypo. Food. And he's doing AWESOME! His nose is looking better, his ears are clearing up. AND he hasn't itched at all :D

So my boy is allergic to his food. Which is fine by me. But sucks that the food is only available at the vets (As far as I know). They also have wet food and treats. So I need to get some for Bruno. He's not use'd to not having treats or any special treats from our plate!! So he's probably wondering wth is going on LOL

But anyway, he's doing a ton better :D I'm really glad we figured it out. Now I wish the first vet would have suggested this instead of treating him for mites--even after seeing none with the scrape @@.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey thats great news. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Naveen

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing better :) I can understand though, how the first vet treated him for mites, it just seemed so obvious, and common enough not to actually see any in a scraping.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand that as well. But they treated him 2x for mites. You would think after the first time with no results they would have suggested to switch his foods. But not once did they.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's great news for Bruno! LMB, there are plenty hypoallergenic foods available outside of the vet's office. The key is to find which INGREDIENT in his old food was giving him the itchies....I'd bet it was something corn-based (Iams, Eukanuba). Our boys are about the same age. Feel free to send me an e-mail if you want some particular food suggestions that worked for us.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

We did switch him to Wellness for a month or two. He had the same reaction with that. The only problem I have about switching to one outside of the vets office, like the one he's on. Is him going through the whole poop stage again and having his belly adjust to another food. I hate that he has to go through that.

However, if I can find something that is close to the same and will work just as good. I might consider changing. Just because the vets isn't open all the time like a pet store might be, ya know?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Can you print the ingredient list on the Medi-Cal?

As for the poop stage, that's bound to happen anytime you change food abruptly. The secret is to wean slowly off/on by mixing 75-25, then 50-50, then 25-75 over a period of at least a week or two so his body adjusts.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Thats great news, i too would be interested in some sort of ingredient list as Tia has always been a little spotty which i put down to food but i have tried everything that is available here.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Did you or they narrow it down of what was in the food that caused the allergies. I have heard that some dogs my be allergic to turkey or what not. If you narrow it down, then it would be alot easier, maybe or not, to find other food than he can also tolerate.

Its good that it was only the food that is causing this.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet told me that this once it was fine not to give half and half. Just to switch. Because he wanted Bruno over ASAP. He has settled down as far as the poops go. Which I'm happy lol. The surprise on the floor I got the first monring was NOT pleasent! ha.

Here is the link to the Medi Cal site which is the food he has http://www.medi-cal.ca/consumers/Canine/HypoAllergenicPage2_EN.asp#Special_Ingredients I think it tells some stuff about the ingredients and what not.

I went and got him 3 cans today and he loves them just as much ;) We haven't exactly figured out what he is allergic too. But we see the vet in another 3 weeks. And then a month after that. I guess around 2 months we will see if he can go on something else or if we should just keep him on this food.

I really am glad we figured it out tho. I felt so bad for hte lil guy. But now he's all better :D His ears are even clearing up really well.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thats great news LMB. There is a Duck/potato food out there. I don't remember who sells it. I think that it is Natural Balance. I just remember seeing it at the naturals store that I get my dog food from. Maybe someone else would know which one it is.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I feed Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal to one of mine with allergies, it works great for him. I use both the canned and kibble.
Glad you are seeing progress with your Bruno.
It really can be hard to narrow down the cause if it is allergies, I had a dog with allergies and it was awful seeing him go thru what he did until we finally figured out what works best for him.
Best of luck with the new food for your boy.
What is wrong with his ears? I know a really good solution you can home make for itchy ears or ears with a yeast infection if that is what he is going through. My holistic vet gave it to me and I have since made copies and gave them to friends with ear issues, worked in every case.
I also found if you google "blue miracle ear" or something to that effect you can find the solution online. Follow the directions closely, you have to use it a lot in the beginning, three times per day if I remember correctly.
The holistic vet made some changes to mine; it was half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol. Also I only put three to four drops of the gentian violet so it wouldn't stain my clothes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts