Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for a young adult for a few months while getting ready for a new dog. I've been looking at a 2 year old brown female for quite a while, and now I'm ready and are considering buying her.

The thing is she is a show dog (3 times youth winner, 4 times winner of national shows in class with title CAC, best of breed). I know nothing about dog shows. Is there anything I should be aware of when buying a show dog? I'm not talking about things show-related, but if there is some characteristics for dogs which do good in shows that I should be aware of? Besides the obvious fact that they look good of course.

FYI the breeder seems reputable, several people in here bought from him with great experience, she's health tested, grew up in the family with children etc.

I have not met her yet because the breeder lives in eastern europe but I would be looking at flying down to meet them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So maybe to do well in shows the dog needs a higher temperament. I use this phrase "higher temperament" the way it is used in Europe or by the Germans on the ZTP. That doesn't mean the temperament will be high however :). Also, the dog will already have a lot of desire for a ball, so that’s fun. Are you looking for a dog to show? In my experience, you're not going to find much difference in personality between show dogs and non-show dogs that could not ge explained by individual differences and early training/preparation/socialization.

Reactions: Jones

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is a beautiful dog, i love the reds too! I guess you don't plan to show her any more? I didn't think you could show cropped dogs in Sweden?
I'm not 100% sure about the rules as I think they seems a bit unclear (Swedish is not my native language though, but I understand most of it). Cropped dogs born before January 2008 is allowed for sure, but I'm not sure if they are born after. Showing would not be my primary motivation for buying her for sure, but if possible if would definitely consider looking into it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So maybe to do well in shows the dog needs a higher temperament. I use this phrase "higher temperament" the way it is used in Europe or by the Germans on the ZTP. That doesn't mean the temperament will be high however :). Also, the dog will already have a lot of desire for a ball, so that’s fun. Are you looking for a dog to show? In my experience, you're not going to find much difference in personality between show dogs and non-show dogs that could not ge explained by individual differences and early training/preparation/socialization.
Exactly something like this I was thinking about. Thank you :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
She looks lovely in those pictures. If those pictures are representative of her overall quality I wouldn't sell her. But then again, I don't have an elaborate kennel system, breed 5 litters a year, have run out of room, ect...

For whatever reason, understand that this man is selling this dog because it is somehow not up to his standards. Part of that *might* be personality (or what we would call temperament in America), somehow I doubt it is due to personality though.

She should have hips checked already if she is 2 years old?

Reactions: Jones

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She looks lovely in those pictures. If those pictures are representative of her overall quality I wouldn't sell her. But then again, I don't have an elaborate kennel system, breed 5 litters a year, have run out of room, ect...

For whatever reason, understand that this man is selling this dog because it is somehow not up to his standards. Part of that *might* be personality (or what we would call temperament in America), somehow I doubt it is due to personality though.

She should have hips checked already if she is 2 years old?
Yes I thought about his motivation for selling too - I asked him and his explanation had nothing to do with the dog, but more of personals reason which I won't mention here. Of course you can never be sure if people tell the truth when money is involved, but he seems like a legit guy. I'm also aware though that of course it's not his number 1 dog as he obviously would not sell it. But it doesn't have to be to be the perfect dog in my family.

Regarding the hips she's tested with HD-A result :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It was my understanding that most breeders who need to rehome a show dog, for whatever reason, usually will charge a smallish rehoming fee. That might be reason for me to raise an eyebrow over this. Maybe a breeder could provide a better perspective on this, since I've never actually inquired myself about a retired show dog. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was my understanding that most breeders who need to rehome a show dog, for whatever reason, usually will charge a smallish rehoming fee. That might be reason for me to raise an eyebrow over this. Maybe a breeder could provide a better perspective on this, since I've never actually inquired myself about a retired show dog. Just something to think about.
I would like to hear if someone has an opinion on this?

I knew a breeder in Thailand who imported a lot of European dogs, and the prices I know he paid was around the same that I'm asked for this one. Let me throw it out there if it makes it easier for some breeder in here to judge this sale. He want 7.000 USD for it.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I would like to hear if someone has an opinion on this?

I knew a breeder in Thailand who imported a lot of European dogs, and the prices I know he paid was around the same that I'm asked for this one. Let me throw it out there if it makes it easier for some breeder in here to judge this sale. He want 7.000 USD for it.
A top quality, health tested AKC champion would probably sell for a lot more than it, IF you could get someone to sell the dog. People generally don't let good quality bitches go....

This isn't the same as a breeder retiring a brood bitch or a show washout and placing the dog for little to no money..those dogs are spayed/neutered prior to purchase, they're not being sold as breeding stock.

I think the only people willing to pay that kind of money are those looking for a dog to continue showing as a champion, and ultimately breed. If I was just looking for a companion and didn't want to do the whole breed/show thing, I sure wouldn't pay that kind of money.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts