Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my boy's ears done on Monday. The vet said that the left ear has some weak cartilage in the middle and that it could present a problem with that ear standing. I was just curious how common this is and if anyone else here has run into this before. He's 9 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
When I first got into dobes, on both of my girls, the vet said the same thing. They wanted me to get a short crop instead. I said no, please crop them the way I want. Maybe I was lucky, but on both of them, their ears stood. One took a little longer to stand--just over 1 year. Just keep wrapping those ears. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. But I am sure that the scenario you painted must happen from time to time. If you really want standing ears, I say to go ahead and chance it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first got into dobes, on both of my girls, the vet said the same thing. They wanted me to get a short crop instead. I said no, please crop them the way I want. Maybe I was lucky, but on both of them, their ears stood. One took a little longer to stand--just over 1 year. Just keep wrapping those ears. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. But I am sure that the scenario you painted must happen from time to time. If you really want standing ears, I say to go ahead and chance it.
I'll wrap them for two years if I have to! I'll do whatever it takes. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I was just curious if anyone else had heard this before. Thanks for sharing!

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My Bella has a beautiful crop from a very good vet. He never said anything to indicate her ears were weak, however I can feel a significant difference between her ears and Nexus. Bella has one ear which absolutely will not stand, it had been posted for what felt like forever, to no avail. She did have bigger natural ears than Nexus, and the vet did not do a short crop on them, but you can feel the weakness in the ear that flops, and her upright ear is very bendy. We dont know if her ear infection posed a problem when it happened, but she does have thinner, weaker ears than I have seen on other dobes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to update Joey's ear situation. He's 14 weeks now and the ears have been standing well between posts. This is a pic from 2 weeks ago and you can see the crease in the left ear. That is gone now and I just have a pocket to get rid of. Thanks for everyone's advice!

I'll take another pic this weekend when I remove the posts before re-wrapping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts