Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another warning for those that don't know:

Green Lawn Pesticides and Canine Malignant Lymphoma

"...The study, conducted over a six year period at the Foster Hospital for Small Animals at Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, showed that exposure to lawn pesticides – specifically those applied by professional lawn care companies – raised the risk of canine malignant lymphoma (CML) by as much as 70 percent.

According to The Merck Veterinary Manual:

'Canine malignant lymphoma is a progressive, fatal disease caused by the malignant clonal expansion of lymphoid cells. Although lymphoid cell neoplastic transformation is not restricted to specific anatomic compartments, lymphoma most commonly arises from organized lymphoid tissues including the bone marrow, thymus, lymph nodes, and spleen. In addition to these primary and secondary lymphoid organs, common extranodal sites include the skin, eye, CNS, testis, and bone. Lymphoma is reported to be the most common...'

...Avoid lawn care and other gardening products that contain insect growth regulators (IGRs). (And be aware that the chemical pyriproxyfen, an IGR, is used in certain flea/tick spot-on treatments.)..."

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Thanks for the link! Our neighbor thinks we're crazy because we do not treat our lawns. We don't have the nice weed free lawn she does, but hopefully will have a happy healthy dog because of it!

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Good article. Thank you. I do use a lawn service but do not have them apply any insect inhibitor, mainly because just the fertilizer and weed control is so expensive. I had thought about treating for grubs but didn't. I wonder if the weed control would be conducive to lymphoma.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good article. Thank you. I do use a lawn service but do not have them apply any insect inhibitor, mainly because just the fertilizer and weed control is so expensive. I had thought about treating for grubs but didn't. I wonder if the weed control would be conducive to lymphoma.
I just did a quick yahoo search of "herbicides and pets" and pulled up enough to keep anyone busy for a bit and, UGH, it doesn't look too promising!

herbicides and pets - Yahoo! Search Results

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I've already called them to try and get a list of the chemicals they use. Of course I was told as long as the spray was dry, the dogs would be fine. However, they do eat the grass like horses.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I wish more people would pay attention to all this.

our pets, (and us), are dying because we cannot stand weeds and bare patches in our freakin' lawns, how sad is that.

a couple of weeks ago my best buds yorkie got very sick, after all the tests were done............it is now suspected he got 'poisoned' just walking around her boyfriends grounds ,he has a very ritzie place and has a grounds keeper who had recently treated the yards with pesticides, herbicides, weed killers and feritlizer!

scary stuff.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think Dr. Becker must have been asleep at the wheel for a while... this is very old news. There is a correlation between use of the herbicide 2,4-D and the development of lymphoma in dogs... this was established at least a dozen years ago (which is when I first heard it). Even the links she supplies while advising against the use of insect growth regulators do NOT provide any evidence whatsoever that IGR's pose any risk of cancer at all.

I would post a comment with regard to this, had she not taken exception to some other comment I once made and unceremoniously unsubscribed me from her site. Usually, even though I don't much like her, she has a perspective that is worth considering. Too often, though, she takes non-information or wrong information or she misinterprets information and packages it in an hysterical, alarmist rant. I would take anything on her site with a grain of salt and do further research before I would assume that what she says is correct.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Really, I must admit I didnt read her sources, sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. It would be great if IGR are fine since so many put them on their pets monthly PLUS treat their lawns with same. Back in the '70s when I was selling a lot of chemicals off the shelf, including 2, 4D, and using some, they were touted as perfectly safe. A fellow I went to school with died two years ago from using them on his farm. A lot of farmers have died from chemical exposure. My first doberman also had a pup borm without a front leg and another with no hock joints. It was years before I realized this was probably caused by Bowater spraying 2, 4D on their tree farm down the road. The state here has inspectors to make sure these chemicals are being applied correctly, but they cant be there for every use. I believe warnings and precautions are appropriate. Remember, old news is new news if you werent a aware of it. There is a lot of excellent holistic information on Karen Becker, DVM's site that has helped many dogs. Out of room

1 - 8 of 8 Posts