Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry this is about to get long- prepare yourself)

It has taken me a week to post this, but I feel like I am finally ready. For those who haven't seen my other posts, here is my story. Zane (my 6 yr old male dobe) was diagnosed with DCM in March of this year and passed away June 23rd (sudden death). Phoebe (6 yr old female dobe) was diagnosed with DCM in September and we lost her last Thursday Nov. 24th. They were not from the same litter or breeder. Perhaps bad luck, perhaps they were just so used to doing everything together.

She was doing okay after diagnosis. Heavier breathing than normal, but still a happy girl otherwise. Last week we noticed her coughing a little more than usual, thought maybe it was the cold weather- but I knew in my heart we wouldn't have her with us much longer. Thanksgiving night I was at my husband's family dinner and Phoebe was at my parents house. She was never left alone after diagnosis. They called me to let me know she was not doing well and could tell her lungs were filled with fluid. We were an hour away and rushed home to be with her. When I got there, her breathing was terrible and wheezing badly, but she calmed down and she laid with her head in my lap, resting for about 20 minutes. I will forever cherish those last peaceful moments with her. My mom had decided to give her a Xanax (shh don't tell the vet) before I got there to keep her from panicking from struggling to breath- I think that helped.

After she got up and I could see that she could hardly walk because of her coughing, I knew it was time. After she was diagnosed, I promised myself when she started to suffer, no matter how much it hurt me, I would make that decision for HER and I will forever be proud of myself for making that decision and having no regrets. To know Phoebe was to know how funny she was. Always making us laugh and she did that until her last moment. On the way to the vet, despite not being able to breath, she jumped from the back of the car to the front passenger seat and rode there the whole way. That's my girl- if she's going out, it will be like the queen she always was- silly girl. I was absolutely terrified of the euth process, but ended up being shocked by how peaceful it was. She gave me a final kiss, then let me know just by looking at me that she had enough.

She left this earth Thanksgiving night around 11:50pm- the exact day and hour we lost our family dog, Kelly seven years ago. This leads me to believe that not only is she back with Zane at last, but I think Kelly as well :) I miss my puppies every minute of every day, but I smile thinking of them together.

To all of you who have supported me, educated me, and comforted me these last 8 months, thank you- from the bottom of my heart. You have been a lifesaver to me in a situation that was really, really hard. I love this breed so much, but I don't think I will be getting another doberman- this was just too much heartbreak for me. I will try to stay active on this board though- paying it forward to others who have to face this difficult situation.

Thank you, friends.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am sorry for your losses. I am sure Phoebe, Zane and Kelly are all up there running around together and looking over you.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your losses, so close together. It's tough enough to lose one, but I know how heartbreaking it is to lose one after another in such a short time. I feel for you. :(

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
You are such a strong young women. I am in awe of how you have handled Phoebes passing coming so close to Zane's. I am deeply sorry, you are in my thoughts. You should post some of those gorgeous photos you have of you, Zane and Phoebe.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I am so sorry. Such a heartbreak to lose two so close together from this demon disease.

I second Luvbirds' suggestion that you post some photos here.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
So very sorry for your loss.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Sincere condolences and (((hugs)))
I can only imagine how hard and horrible it is to go through two losses to this cruel disease in such short succession like this....my heart aches for you....just one loss can be unbearable...but two...oh my...the only comfort is that they are both playing freely together once again.
run free and happy beautiful babies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh dear,
I was thinking of you a lot - now it happened so fast. I am so, so sorry. Your text made my eyes fill with tears. I can not imagine what it was like for you to go through all that again with your second dog.
Yes, on the final and last way to the vet Greta as well was the typical car-Greta, acting almost like always, I am still thinking about these moments. Such a feeling of closeness, these moments have been so normal in one way, but there was no denying, it was the right moment to say goodbye. The more time passes now, the more I think that this disease is so horrible, it is crucial to not wait too long for the final moment. You have done the right thing.
Oh, you must be so exhausted, physically and mentally. A long year of grief is this 2011. Take your time to heal (I know, what else can you do...)
A warm hug
Violet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to share pics! The first pic is our little family- about a month before Zane died. The 2nd is my favorite of Phoebe and I- just a few weeks ago. I miss my babies.

Take pictures- all the time. You will be forever grateful for the captured memories- I know I am.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would love to share pics! The first pic is our little family- about a month before Zane died. The 2nd is my favorite of Phoebe and I- just a few weeks ago. I miss my babies.

Take pictures- all the time. You will be forever grateful for the captured memories- I know I am.
Beautiful pictures, and agree so much. Take many many pictures.

I am so sorry for your loss, and feel your pain. *hugs*

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,597 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Zane and Phoebe. Your pictures are really sweet.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I remember when you posted about Phoebe's diagnosis and could not believe it, just after Zane. I'm so sad to hear that she has passed too. My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Oh my goodness girl. Of course you miss your babies with your whole heart and soul. I'm very sorry for your loss. That is just almost too much. I, too, lost a wonderful companion to DCM. My heart and hugs go out to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear your story of Zane and Phoebe. I lost my 3.5 yr old Kenya In Sept. This loss has been the most difficult thing for me and I feel no better off today than I was when she first went into CHF on 2 Aug. But TWO, for you. It is truly unfathomable. Stay strong. It's just not right. This disease needs to be stopped soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts