Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me thinks Stella has a ringworm. she will be going to the vet as soon as i get off work.

from what i have read, it doesnt seem to be more than a fungal infection, like athletes foot.

have you battled this before? any tips or warnings?

i have hardwood floors throughout the house and leather couches. Im planning on washing all bedding on the allergen setting on my washer and wiping the couches and floors with lysol after sweeping and vacuuming thoroughly

sound good enough or should i just burn the place down?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have no advice for you, but what we do for our dobes. I like "burn the place down". I just had this thought of telling my insurance company......"I had to, for the dog".

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,469 Posts
This is the general recommendation I'm seeing:

Confine contaminated pets to one room.
Vacuum deeply and often, taking care to dispose of vacuum bags or empty canisters.
Dispose of rugs and carpets if you can.
Wash or dispose of all bedding and toys.
Wash applicable surfaces with soap and water and disinfect with a 1:10 diluted bleach solution (1 part bleach, 10 parts water) or veterinary disinfectant such as Virkon® S.
Repeat these steps often until problem is resolved.

The organism apparently can hang around for a long time--my question is how to tell if the problem is resolved without testing to see if you or the dog can get reinfected?

Good luck!

Oh, I moved your thread to the health section!

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
So RedstarDog, was it ringworm?

Vet clinics usually have an entire hand out that they will give you along with the appropriate medication for ringworm.

The two most common places for people to pick up ring worm are folks that are gardening (use rubber gloves if you are planting stuff--ring worm hangs around in the soil for a long, long time) and old paper (old records etc--that's where my mom picked it up--she was getting rid of 20 years worth of records for the company where she worked and had to go through every file before it could be shredded--ugh she got ring worm and gave it to both cats.

There are far better meds around now than there were when she and the cats had ringworm. Hers cleared up pretty fast but both cats got pretty completely shaved and I had nightmares about them for weeks it made them so bizarre looking.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So RedstarDog, was it ringworm?

Vet clinics usually have an entire hand out that they will give you along with the appropriate medication for ringworm.

The two most common places for people to pick up ring worm are folks that are gardening (use rubber gloves if you are planting stuff--ring worm hangs around in the soil for a long, long time) and old paper (old records etc--that's where my mom picked it up--she was getting rid of 20 years worth of records for the company where she worked and had to go through every file before it could be shredded--ugh she got ring worm and gave it to both cats.

There are far better meds around now than there were when she and the cats had ringworm. Hers cleared up pretty fast but both cats got pretty completely shaved and I had nightmares about them for weeks it made them so bizarre looking.

it was not.
neither fungus nor parasite....
vet said it looked like a spider bite that was in the process of healing

he gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and some daily ointment

so far so good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts