Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I will start with an update. Since my Grandmother died in Febuary, I have been very busy with my mom. She and I have been calling each other almost every day to discuss things that we want and what the rest of the family is doing. I have had a few less hours at work these last few weeks as well, but I still haven't had time to do much of anything. My other Grandmother just got put into a nursing home, as well as going there to visit her. I have been talking to my 1/2 brother that I have NEVER talked to. So these last few months I have been very busy.

Okay now on to my little new project. At my Grandmothers nursing home they want more therapy dogs. So I asked them about Gracie. (No I am not giving up my dog.) They want me to bring her in next month just to see how she reacts. After the first test which will be that day. Then we will enroll her and myself into offical training. They explained what they expect out of the dogs that go there. They told me what she needs to know and how well she needs to know it. She needs to be able to sit, stay, lay, and come all on command. It is all on leash. She also has to know how to walk on a leash somewhat they said. :) She also has to be fixed, and have all of her shots updated. Which she is due for her shots within the next few months. I explained that I don't have any paper work that says she was fixed, but she came through a rescue and I know they get all the dogs fixed before the put them up for adoption. They said that they would over look it then. So with all that said, within the next few months Gracie will be a licensed service dog in the state of Michigan. They told me that I will be able to take her to almost any nursing home and or hospital that I want. I just have to call and ask before hand.

I told my boss today that I will be able to bring her into work and there is nothing he could do about it, because she will be a licensed service dog. He laughed and said he would kick us out, so I said that all I would have to do is call a lawyer and that would be over. :) So now I might be here even less because I will be busy taking her to nursing homes. :D I can't wait. This is something I have wanted to do with her since the day I got her. She has such a huge heart and so much love to give that I wanted to share it with others. And now I will be able to. She will have so much fun being petted and loved on. Have I said that I can't wait yet?

When I take her next month I will make sure to take lots of pictures. I know I need to get some new pictures, it's just finding the time to do it that is the problem.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Oh Katie, I'm so excited for you and Gracie!!! Of course we miss you here and will miss you even more if you're going to be around even less - the only way to make up for it is at least bi-weekly updates and lots of pics!!!!
Keep us informed on her progress and how it goes on her first visit!!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to make sure to do that. Right now I just have way to much going on. I have to go see my plastic surgon two times next week. I also have my last two Grandparents going down hill in a hurry. So I have been busy making sure I have things in order so I can fly out to California again if my Grandfather dies. My other Grandmother lives here in Michigan so it won't take much for me to show up if she dies. :( I never had a chance to get to know this Grandma and now she has no clue who I am and who my father was, which was her oldest son.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That is so cool GM! Glad you get to do that with Gracie. It should be all sorts of fun. Sorry to hear about the grandparents though. I know how that goes. My grandmother is the last remaining one and we have to be introduced everytime we visit. Five minutes later you are a different person. It is tough.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ahh Gracie's Mom, that sounds awesome, I would love to do that, to me that is one of the best accomplishments there is for a Dobe, positive for the breed IMO.

Sorry to hear about your grandparents, it is hard losing loved ones, I lost my mom 6 and a half years ago and my grandpa (mom's dad) 2 years ago, but I still have my grandma though and she is in her mid 80's and still active, she is a little firecracker.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Grandmother was a firecracker. She ran everyday, swam for a few hours a day. She was in her mid 80's then her heart just stopped. My father also died 7 years ago. I really understand the pain of losing someone. I lost my best friend (my father) 7 year ago. Every day is still hard to deal with. I hold on for way to long I've been told. :(

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
That is awesome! I want Duchess to be a therapy dog someday...that is cool that your making the big step with gracie! good luck!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you LD! I really believe that she will do well at it. I did explain to them that she is "touchy" about her paws being touched. They asked if she would growl, I said no she just pulls them away. I am very excited about it, I even told her that she will be going to see other people. I don't think she cares until I say the magic words. "Want to go bye bye?!?!"

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Definitely magic in those words, it's like asking a kid if they want some candy, eyes about pop out of their sockets and smiles on their faces. Magic words indeed!

LOL we spell around our dogs anymore, they know too many words

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Okay now on to my little new project. At my Grandmothers nursing home they want more therapy dogs. So I asked them about Gracie. (No I am not giving up my dog.) They want me to bring her in next month just to see how she reacts. After the first test which will be that day. Then we will enroll her and myself into offical training. They explained what they expect out of the dogs that go there. They told me what she needs to know and how well she needs to know it. She needs to be able to sit, stay, lay, and come all on command. It is all on leash. She also has to know how to walk on a leash somewhat they said. :) She also has to be fixed, and have all of her shots updated. Which she is due for her shots within the next few months. I explained that I don't have any paper work that says she was fixed, but she came through a rescue and I know they get all the dogs fixed before the put them up for adoption. They said that they would over look it then. So with all that said, within the next few months Gracie will be a licensed service dog in the state of Michigan. They told me that I will be able to take her to almost any nursing home and or hospital that I want. I just have to call and ask before hand.

I told my boss today that I will be able to bring her into work and there is nothing he could do about it, because she will be a licensed service dog. He laughed and said he would kick us out, so I said that all I would have to do is call a lawyer and that would be over. :) So now I might be here even less because I will be busy taking her to nursing homes. :D I can't wait. This is something I have wanted to do with her since the day I got her. She has such a huge heart and so much love to give that I wanted to share it with others. And now I will be able to. She will have so much fun being petted and loved on. Have I said that I can't wait yet?

When I take her next month I will make sure to take lots of pictures. I know I need to get some new pictures, it's just finding the time to do it that is the problem.
I think it is great that you are interested in getting a therapy dog certification for your dog. I have been doing therapy dog work for awhile with Velma and had a rescued Greyhound (he died several years ago) that was my first therapy dog.

However.....just an FYI - a Therapy Dog certification is NOT the same as a service dog. They do not fit under the laws pertaining to service dogs and access to public places. There is a big difference.....so I'd check on that for sure.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
That is great! I am starting Spirit also this summer. he is such an easygoing dog who loves everyone. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your loved ones. I know it is very hard. I lost my Mother 6 yrs ago and My mother in law 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
velmadobe said:
I think it is great that you are interested in getting a therapy dog certification for your dog. I have been doing therapy dog work for awhile with Velma and had a rescued Greyhound (he died several years ago) that was my first therapy dog.

However.....just an FYI - a Therapy Dog certification is NOT the same as a service dog. They do not fit under the laws pertaining to service dogs and access to public places. There is a big difference.....so I'd check on that for sure.
Thank you. I was told that they are the same thing. Sorry for my mistake. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.