Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like, does your Dobe.... Know what time it is? I swear Toby has a built in alarm clock that wakes him up at precisely 6am every morning no matter how late a night he has had. And then goes off at precisely 4pm every single day so he can remind me it is time to go for a walk. You see I have always taken Toby for his last walk just as dusk is falling. Now during the Winter this is around 4pm so naturally that is when I have been taking him. But as Spring approaches I start to let the time slip so that we still go for our walks at dusk. Thing is, Toby seems to like going at 4pm and so comes to me and bothers me until I take him.

He also knows when I go to change my shoes to go and work on the farm. He can be outside sunning himself and I can be in my bedroom alone when suddenly there he is, watching me like a hawk and won't let me go anywhere without him.

What do your Dobes do???

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Occasionally I get up in the middle of the night, leave the dogs sound asleep and snoring, and decide to have a little snack. I creep down the stairs--no dogs. I open the refrigerator door quietly--no dogs--and get out the plastic baggy of cheese and open it--no dogs. I open the drawer to get out the cheese knife--I have an audience when I turn around.

Not just the two dogs, but also the cat, sitting hopefully in a row--two of them drooling.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel gets me up promptly at 7, I set an alarm for that on my days off for two weeks and haven't had to since :rolleyesww:

She knows she eats at 6 p.m. for dinner and starts asking exactly at 5 lol and if I go near the fridge in that hour EVER! it must mean I'm getting her chicken, so it's "look ma I'm in my crate, runs to poke me, runs back "see look feed me!" and if that doesn't work then she just jumps up and down and up and down until I walk away from the fridge and get a look of utter disappointment!

I think my favorite smart quirk is when she won't be quite, shut up and all that never works but if I tell her something like "cry me a river" "do I look like I care" or "nobody asked you" she immediately stops and looks at me like "How rude!!" :p

Gotta love a dobe and all their quirks, it keeps life.....interesting :)

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Max hates his cage but today decided he needed to whine at me until i followed him upstairs and put him in his cage for a nap. Hes certainly a funny one!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Torque knows the difference between his collars... When he is just on the farm I only put on his Invisible Fence collar (he never goes anywhere far enough away from me that I have to worry about him wondering off). Whenever we leave the farm he gets his collar with his tags. He gets way more excited when I put that collar on him.

He also knows when its time to eat and will roll around on the floor and rub his face with his paws and groan until I get up to feed him...

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah knows what time it is 3x's a day. Meal times! I have been waking up early the last few mornings and am praying I dont reset her clock to 5:30am instead of 6:00am. She normally starts letting me know an hour before dinner/supper time. She knows what cabinet the cereal is in and tries to open it for me so I can hurry and eat my breakfast! But she better get a few nibbles first. They know as soon as I am done with breakfast outside we go. They know this by me drinking the milk out the bottom of my bowl. Somehow they know if I am going somewhere and they are coming. There is an excitement about them. She also knows which one is her e-collar. They know which back pack is there training bag. I am sure she knows more but cant think right now. They seem to know plenty! Probably more than they should!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When I go to work on the land and trees Toby comes into the Almacen (Store/warehouse where I keep my tools) and watches me pick out which tools I am going to use. If it is the chainsaw he goes and lies down if it is the handsaw, rake or the like he literally glues himself to my legs so I take him with me.

A few weeks ago I was repairing a dry stone wall that retains the land back into the terraces my farm is mainly made up of. As I was building Toby kept running back and forth, digging a hole and planting a carob pod into the bottom of the hole, covered it up and then set off to start again. He must have done this 20 or 30 times along the length of the terraces I was working on. When I asked him what he was doing he just looked up at me with a huge grin across his face as if to say. 'this is fun.' And off he went again.

Because the evenings have been pretty cool we have had a log burner going in the sitting room, Toby often helps me bring the wood in for the evening, picking a particularly nice piece of wood each and everytime, carefully laying it by the fireplace. He then proceeds to lay down and wait for me to light it with a look of "hurry up mum" written across his face.

Then there is his feedtime routine. At precisely 6.30pm he barks at me to be fed, it isn't a minute earlier or a minute later, you could actually set your watch by it I swear, and woe betide me if I tell him he will have to wait. Jeez World War III or what.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
This started the day Devon came into our home she gets up and looks at me right in the face and licks me........it's 5:30am hurry let me out and then I'll eat..........LOL! Don't forget my vitamins and mix the cornsilk with applesauce..........
Last night we went to sleep at 10:30pm and we woke up at 1:30am well I was eating some mixed granola and who had her head hanging over the baby door to come into the office...I shared a hand full with her. We went back to bed and this morning she was hogging the pillow..I treasure every day I have with her..........:)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I only figured out last week, what was getting Nubis up before the alarm clock by about 30 minutes.... The coffee maker coming on. Not sure if its the coffee brewing smell or the actual noise from the coffee maker. I just figured on the weekends, he was a smart cookie, but no,,,,the coffee maker is not set to go off on the weekends...DOH

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Whiskey will take any toy and drop it in his water bowl then take it outside and roll it around in the dirt.. then come to me and beg to play tug. If I try and put the slimy filthy thing in the wash first he is absolutely beside himself... inconsolable...no other toy will do.

I love this dang dog.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Java is still a baby, but for the week that he's been here, he's woken up at almost exactly 2am and 6am, every single night. Luckily, he goes back to sleep quickly after we take him out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts