Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Java is only five months old, so it remains to be seen definitively whether he'll be a good candidate for it, but if he is, I would love to do some volunteering in nursing homes with him. Is there anyone here willing to share their experiences in this? How does the certification process work? What was the evaluation like? I've done some preliminary poking around on the Delta and TDI websites, but I'd love to hear some experiences or suggestions from members here. :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I've been looking into this too so it will be interesting to see the responses you get. I know there are a few members here who do this with their dog.

Working towards the CGC is a good place to start - with the program in the town that I live you need to have your CGC before you can start the therapy classes.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Java is only five months old, so it remains to be seen definitively whether he'll be a good candidate for it, but if he is, I would love to do some volunteering in nursing homes with him. Is there anyone here willing to share their experiences in this? How does the certification process work? What was the evaluation like? I've done some preliminary poking around on the Delta and TDI websites, but I'd love to hear some experiences or suggestions from members here. :)
I personally chose to test through Delta because I really liked how rigorous their testing is. With Shanoa's issues, I wanted to be absolutely certain she was able to do it.

That said, we are currently on a break and re-evaluating whether we should continue therapy work.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Hope Shanoa's ok.

I personally chose to test through Delta because I really liked how rigorous their testing is. With Shanoa's issues, I wanted to be absolutely certain she was able to do it.

That said, we are currently on a break and re-evaluating whether we should continue therapy work.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Hope Shanoa's ok.
Thanks. She's okay. I haven't posted publicly about it because it was a really hard decision to make. We're working with the behaviorist and we're changing her medication right now. We had a long, hard talk about it (lots of tears), and decided that for now we need to take a break. I kept expecting her to settle in more, and be more relaxed as we did more visits. She did fine (great, actually), but she clearly is just doing a job, and isn't enjoying it. It's tough, because this is kind of the last dream I had for her. We've pretty much let go of everything we've wanted to do with her because of her issues, so stopping this has been really hard. We're going to see where we're at when the new meds are at full efficacy and go from there.

Right now I'm looking into taking a nose work or tracking class with her, because those are both things a reactive dog can do well, as they don't involve interaction with other people or other dogs, and are really "dog directed" rather than "handler directed," if that makes sense.

Anyway, more than you probably wanted to know.

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Sometimes they just have to find their niche.

You are a wonderful dog mom.

Thanks. She's okay. I haven't posted publicly about it because it was a really hard decision to make. We're working with the behaviorist and we're changing her medication right now. We had a long, hard talk about it (lots of tears), and decided that for now we need to take a break. I kept expecting her to settle in more, and be more relaxed as we did more visits. She did fine (great, actually), but she clearly is just doing a job, and isn't enjoying it. It's tough, because this is kind of the last dream I had for her. We've pretty much let go of everything we've wanted to do with her because of her issues, so stopping this has been really hard. We're going to see where we're at when the new meds are at full efficacy and go from there.

Right now I'm looking into taking a nose work or tracking class with her, because those are both things a reactive dog can do well, as they don't involve interaction with other people or other dogs, and are really "dog directed" rather than "handler directed," if that makes sense.

Anyway, more than you probably wanted to know.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
My Roxy works with Therapy Dogs Inc. She is CGC certified. I went through the CGC classes as I wanted her to have been exposed to the test items. It was a great fun class. When I went for the test through TDInc. it was the exact test that Roxy just completed through CGC. My suggestion would be to take a class for CGC. This will give you an idea what is expected, you can practice with the other dogs and it forces you to complete homework so you are ready for the following week's class. Roxy lovers her therapy work and the smiles that she gets it my reward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts