Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm happy to join dobermantalk.com even though I don't have the pleasure of having a doberman as a pet (yet!). I thought many of you might be interested in reading a true story about my aunt's doberman "Maverick." Maverick eluded dogcatchers, dog-lovers and irritated citizens during his four year stint as a stray and after he was finally captured, his story made headlines in newspapers across the country (and even in England) and also appeared in Time magazine (1958). The link to Maverick's story is as follows and also is in my profile (be sure to check out the clippings and photos at the end of the story):

http://geocities.com/thought332000/maverick.html

Enjoy,
Maverick58 (Deb)

Note: My avatar is a photo of Maverick (sorry about the poor quality)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
What an excellant story! Thank you so much for posting and giving me a great smile tonight!

Welcome to Doberman Talk by the way, glad to have you! I have a two year old female dobie named Lexus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reading Maverick's story

Hi Lexus and Jamie,

Thanks for reading Maverick's story; I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Lexus is beautiful and Jamie your pups Jack, Reno and Java are precious!

Again, thanks for taking the time to read about Maverick.

Maverick58 (Deb)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Deb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to chronicle Maverick's story and share it with us! I love the part with the female Boxer - What a classic "Lady and The Tramp" story :)

It sounds like Maverick embodied everything that I love about this breed. I'm sure your Aunt and Uncle loved him dearly and felt that love returned :)

Welcome to dobermantalk :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tracyjo

Tracy,

Maverick's story was such a pleasure to write and sharing it with kindred dog lovers who enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it, is indeed "the icing on the cake."

Chihiro is gorgeous and you've gotta love those floppy ears (like Maverick's)!

Thanks for writing,
Maverick58 (Deb)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi Deb and welcome to the forum,what a brilliant story and the quote there
" The vexed veteran told his boss and his peers that the cunning dog was the most intelligent animal he'd ever encountered"
shows he found out what we already know, this breed thinks quicker than a rattlesnake.
I live in the U.K.and i am owned by my three girls Amber,Chelsie and my show girl Tia.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I enjoyed the story also and I agree with TracyJo, that would make a fanastic children's book. When I was in grammer school I loved reading storys of horses and dogs, I imagined myself in the middle of those exciting escapades. Oh the imagination can be so much fun.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I'm going to agree also, would make an awesome childrens book! (And I'm not partial to dobermans and boxers or anything :) )

That is such a NEAT story, a pleasure to read. It is amazing what animals are capable of, and what they are capable of overcoming. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the wonderful feedback about Maverick's story. I thought it would make a great children's book/story also and I'm very inspired to give it a try. I am not very familiar with dobermans, but judging by what Maverick did to outwit so many people for four years and from what I've read on this site and the internet about dobies, they certainly are a super intelligent breed!

Maverick58 (Deb)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Deb
that was great. Your aunt was a wonderful woman to recognize what a terrific dog he was. I am so glad you share that with us.

I have a 5 year old rescue named apollo who has stolen my heart in only a few weeks (don't tell hubby:) )

TD: we need some emoticons that are crying with boxes of tissues. sort of a warning that the upcoming post will be a tear jerker - this one got me all verklempt (sp?) and no tissues handy!

cc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts