Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow Dobie owners, I have mentioned before I am new to owning dogs outside of India and new to the breed as well. I do understand that alot of what Im about to ask is scattered across this forum. But I am asking you all to do is maybe provide me (and other owners like me) a general Dos and Don'ts for any topic regarding the training and caring of the puppies.
Such as: How do you groom (how often), how do you care for it, crating training, stopping it from doing things you dislike. I'm just trying to keep my dog as perfectly possible. I have gone through google, and the best advice has come from here.
I know thre is a sticky for this, but I'm kinda looking for personal experience here. :thanx:

sidenote: -let me know if I'm doing this wrong, I like to say I'm very patient and open to criticism as they help me, not hinder-
So, because of my home situation, I have the crate in my room and I only put the puppy there at night whereas he spends the day in my family room where I supervise him. Ofcourse everynight he will cry and I let him calm himself down before I sleep. He will wake up in about 2-4 hours where he will get up crying, I always take him out to pee as I've read their bladders can only hold it for that much. A friend of mine advised against it and said to wait even longer- is this correct and what I'm doing is incorrect?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you can read all you can from different authors on training dogs in obedience,teaching tricks if at all possible check out obedience classes that you take your pup to and they train you how to train your pup. It usually is a bad idea to take your pup some where and leave it to be trained.You form a bond with your dog if you train it yourself. Not sure what you have excess to, you can google positive methods in dog training,NILF dog training,clicker training. At anytime something does not feel right do not do it find another way to train, there are many,many methods out there and no one method is correct for everyones dog. You can gather information use what you like and do not use what you do not like.
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.
As far as grooming I use a Dremel on my dogs nail look in the search at the top of the page you can find a video showing how to Dremel nails. Get you pup use to you touching his nails & toes go slow give treats you do not want to scare your pup just do one nail a day until he get use to it. I would bathe the pup about every 2 weeks even if you just get them wet with water and not use pet shampoo.Then when they grow big they will be use to it I bathe Buddy maybe twice a year,wipe him down with a wet wash cloth,I use a rubber curry brush on him also. Train 5-10 minutes a day am & pm as a pup.sit,down,come,shake paws, throw in tricks as you train obedience so it will not get boring. Good Luck with your pup.

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Your friend is Wrong 2 - 4 hours is right for an 8 week puppy. Not taking him out frequently enough will be Bad for his housetraining and won't be good for his bladder. He is a baby.

He won't be completely housetrained until physically mature enough about 2 - 6 mos old. Although as he gets older he will have to go less & less.

Good luck with Harley.

·
Registered
675 Posts
He won't be completely housetrained until physically mature enough about 2 - 6 mos old. Although as he gets older he will have to go less & less.

Sorry I meant 4 - 6 mos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts