Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love talking about Rally, but I only know about AKC rally.
Some of the signs are redundant for the sake of laying out a course (right/left) and also to build skills for the next level (Figure 8s with and without distractions, Halt-Turn vs Halt/Pivot - which I find redundant if you just train a pivot, but that is another story.)

What do you mean: "Any moves that aren't in your beginner novice through excellent classes? (before open and utility style stuff)"? BN Obed has a sit-for-exam, Nov Obed has stand-for-exam but AKC Rally never has the judge put his/her hands on the dog. Or are you looking for things you'd do in Rally that you'd never do in Obed?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes to the bold, just wondering if there is anything new to train, like I know for example there is a "back up" sign

And yea, the like stop halt stop or something like that, i overthink them they are so redundant. I just stare at it like...ok this can't be that complicated?...or is it lol
Well, I'm not sure which sign you mean there, but there are some signs that seem to overstate and others that seem to say something other than what it means. ie, inconsistencies. ;)

The Send To Jump is at an angle/in a way that you wouldn't do in Obed.

You don't do a German Left (in AKC Rally called Left About Turn) in AKC Obed, but you do in SchH.

The Leave Dog 2 Steps Call to Heel isn't something you'd do in Obed, and there's plenty of interpretation on how that one is supposed vs allowed to be executed.

There's also stuff where the rules say things, people interpret multiple ways, and then the AKC puts it in the newsletters to the judges on how they expect them to judge it, so it's helpful/useful to read those.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Any general tips and tricks you've learned? Personal problem areas?

It's not just me that can benefit :)
Teach a kickback stand, not the step-forward. (My mistake made 7 years ago and am not going to fix now.) With some of the stationary combination stands (into downs/from sits) some judges are really critical if your dog gets out of heel position as it transitions from one position (sit/stand) to another (down/sit/stand). So if your dog steps with his back legs rather than his front, you will control heel position.

You will likely make a lot of fast progress through Novice and Advanced. (Hey, we've got Dobes, they make it exponentially easier than some other breeds!) Expect to lose some traction as you get into Excellent. It will prove where your foundation was lacking - so, in other words, don't be in a rush to get through Novice & Advanced because you might not be as solid as you think. Then also realize that learning and reliably executing the Excellent level stuff could take longer than it took you to do Nov/Adv. Don't get frustrated if that happens.

My best piece of advice though is to be a good sport. Nothing ruins this like the folks who don't respect the honest efforts it takes to get there, whether by cheating their way through or dismissing the hard work of others.

·
Registered
376 Posts
:fireworks: :welldone: :yeahbaby: :tropthy:
Miranadobe, I see that congratulations are in order. A 391 out of 400 is very nice. :)
:thanx: Thank you!

I looked at myself in the mirror the night before Nationals, wearing our Nationals sweatshirt, and grinned with excitement. Then ran over to my dog to hug and thank her for being such an awesome dog! NONE of that whole experience of being at Nationals would have been possible if she hadn't been the kind of dog she is.

She was sort of "over it" by the fourth ring, but she is so reliable and consistent that I knew what to expect could unravel. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw her up! In the last run, even when she forged ahead at a station (2pt for each out of position) and flubbed a stationary call front (which is typically the first thing to go when she is "done") it was still good enough for a 97.

I liked what someone else mentioned earlier. DO NOT get mad at your dog. If you trained and something went wrong, well, that's the pressure of competition vs training and stuff happens. If you didn't train enough and something went wrong, well, that's your fault, not the dog's. People who compete before the dog is ready and then get mad at the dog just make me feel sooo badly for the dog.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Funny you should say that - I had a surprising number of people from across the country approach me while in Oklahoma saying "you just never see Dobes out in obedience anymore." In fact, if memory serves, there literally was only one Dobe in the Obed competition there, and just 3-4 of us in Rally. I hope that by being out there it encourages others to try. I *loved* having her in the line-up of top 4. :D

Around here I only see a handful of Dobes - and I can often name them all when I see them at shows. There should be so many new faces that naming them all isn't possible! Dobes are naturals in obedience and Rally!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts