Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this site but def not new to rescues in general, and this is kinda of a rant but i feel it needs stated and im going to omit the rescue places name. this is a copy of my email to them and their response to my email and my application, which maybe i did make some mistakes on my app as i cannot pull it back up to check but i still think the theme of what im trying to say will show:

(from me)
I am very interested in adopting. Our only problem is we are slightly out of your area as we live in Princeton IN. We do have smaller children so thats needs taken into consideration. I have adopted 2 Pits through the years off of Petfinder, and i have adopted out several Pits, my last one going out about a month ago, so i have alot of experience in both sides of the adoption process and introducing new dogs into the household. The dog would be house kept with a decent sized fenced in yard. Yes i have had one Doberman years ago so im somewhat familiar with the breed and ive been reading up!
If you are interested in adopting out to us send me an email

(their response)

I received your application and after reviewing it we don't feel you meet the criteria that our rescue groups requires. It states that you rehomed a previous dog when your wife or x-wife had a baby and that you gave up a dog two months ago because it needed a companion.

This isn't what we are looking for in adopters, that's called life changes.

You applied for a dog that bio says we know absolutely nothing about and you have children 3,8, and ten years old that doesn't make any sense at all. I would say that you are wanting the look of the Doberman by applying for Delane.

Another group may adopt to you but we won't. We want our Dobermans to be in their forever home.

Thank-you for your inquiry.

(my response and the end so far)
This is Why most rescues are a losing proposition compared to breeders. I gave up a dog 16 years ago when my wife was pregnant and I was 21 years old. I could of easily hid this from you. Honestly by not considering someone like me you are more a part of the problem instead of the solution as now I am more inclined to purchase from a breeder.
And you missunder stood about the dog 2 months ago,, I took the dog in from a person that was moving and was going to turn the dog into the local pound. I fostered the dog until I found a suitable lady that needed a companion! Shame on me for saving said dog and giving him a home and then rehoming him to a suitable home FREE OF CHARGE.
My kids in house are confusing because I have recently divorced and now have a full time girlfriend/fiancee so I have two different groups of children.
As for another reference let's try Gail at mutts and stuff,, I've adopted from her and fostered for her but that was almost a decade ago now.
You're really dropping the ball on this one and like I stated above this is why puppy mills thrive - buyers don't have to pass a CIA inspection from someone on an ivory tower highhorse.
Thanks

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to thank that post. I wish they would move the damn thank you button.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, thanks for the accidental thank you LOL.

Honestly folks take a step back and actually think about it:

Full background checks from someone who thinks they are the only people on the planet that are capable of giving proper care to a dog (typical rescue personel - and i know because ive done and felt this myself)

If you have the cash you can have the dog, end of story (typical dog breeder)

Now who is going to move more dogs? Yes i know that some of the breeders dogs are going to end up in bad homes BUT alot are going to end up in good homes and the breeder is still moving more dogs than the rescue EVER will.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I think that if you had provided more information and clarity in first email and less anger in the second one, you'd have a better chance at adopting a dog from them. They have every right to be careful about who their dogs go to--those dogs have already had owners who had given them up before. They don't need to be left behind again, and the rescues have every right to make sure that their dogs don't end up in that situation. Good breeders also have the same concerns. The reason why it's so easy to buy from a puppymiller is because they don't care, and often times, dogs can go to people who don't care so much either. Good breeders and rescues aren't trying to move volume, they're trying to find good homes.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Not sure why you have a problem with this rescue. You don't fit their criteria.

1. Small children- many rescues AND breeders will not adopt/sell a Doberman to a family with small children.

2. You live outside their adoption area.

3. You gave up a dog in the past. Yes, this is a red flag for rescues and they have every right to deny an applicant because of this.

I did find your responses to the rescue unprofessional.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keep in mind i was being HONEST when i stated i gave up a dog when i was 21 years old, i am now 37. ask yourself if you made any life mistakes when you were 21 years of age......

yes i may be out of their area,, but if you truly want do to what a rescue is SUPPOSED to do which is place dogs into good homes is a lil bit out of your area that big of a deal?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,428 Posts
One reason rescues want to place dogs only in their area is that they often want to check out the new home carefully to make sure the environment is as it is claimed to be, and also because they want to keep a bit of an eye on the dog and his new owner as they adjust to each other. They also want to be easily available to help the new owner if problems crop up.

Rescue workers are generally volunteers and have regular jobs/families/responsibilities--the last thing they need is to be drafted into what could become hours of travel just to keep tabs on a dog because they have stretched one of their guidelines to adopt out of their area.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
The first response did not explain things like the second response the first sounded wrong for a person to adopt a pet out to if you had taken more time to explain things.They may have adopted to you. Good Luck in your quest for a dog.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Most everyone, have made mistakes, in the past...hind-sight is 20/20...and especially at a younger age.

I too got my first dobe at 21 y/o and didn't have 2 nickles to scrape together.
Got nearly evicted from an apartment until I hired a lawyer, kept my dog at all costs and moved into a semi. (1/2 house) when the yearly lease was up.
Some people give up on a dog once (in their life) while others would never think of it...just saying.

However good luck and move on.
- a learning experience, nothing to fret over / rescue had a job to do, they made their decision, based on your application

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

This is NOT your typical reputable breeder, BYB maybe but not a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
IMO it is a privilege to rescue a dog. Rescue organizations have the right to turn down applicants that do not quite meet their criteria. Just because the rescue hurt your pride doesn't mean you should throw a hissy fit. Take what they say with a grain of salt and listen to their criticisms.

If you truly want to adopt a dog from them, ask if you can volunteer, or volunteer somewhere else, foster a dog, then go back and apply with these new references.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
My responses are in purple

i am new to this site but def not new to rescues in general, and this is kinda of a rant but i feel it needs stated and im going to omit the rescue places name. this is a copy of my email to them and their response to my email and my application, which maybe i did make some mistakes on my app as i cannot pull it back up to check but i still think the theme of what im trying to say will show:

If I were the one filling out an application, I would take the time to make sure that I didn't make ANY mistakes. I would think with your "experience" in regards to rescue that you would've taken the time to fill out the application properly.

(from me)
I am very interested in adopting. Our only problem is we are slightly out of your area as we live in Princeton IN. We do have smaller children so thats needs taken into consideration. I have adopted 2 Pits through the years off of Petfinder, and i have adopted out several Pits, my last one going out about a month ago, so i have alot of experience in both sides of the adoption process and introducing new dogs into the household. The dog would be house kept with a decent sized fenced in yard. Yes i have had one Doberman years ago so im somewhat familiar with the breed and ive been reading up!
If you are interested in adopting out to us send me an email

You start off by saying that you are out of the rescues approved adoption area. problem #1.

You state that you have smaller children. Does this rescue have a policy about adopting to homes with children under a certain age (most rescues do and for very good reasons)? If so, problem #2.

You clearly state that you "have adopted out several Pits, my last one going out about a month ago". Without giving a better explanation, this would be a red flag for any rescue, so now there is problem #3.

(their response)

I received your application and after reviewing it we don't feel you meet the criteria that our rescue groups requires. It states that you rehomed a previous dog when your wife or x-wife had a baby and that you gave up a dog two months ago because it needed a companion.

This isn't what we are looking for in adopters, that's called life changes.

You applied for a dog that bio says we know absolutely nothing about and you have children 3,8, and ten years old that doesn't make any sense at all. I would say that you are wanting the look of the Doberman by applying for Delane.

Another group may adopt to you but we won't. We want our Dobermans to be in their forever home.

Thank-you for your inquiry.

In my opinion, the rescue gave you a very clear explanation of the reasons why they do not feel as though you are a qualified adopter through their rescue. Truthfully, some rescues wouldn't have taken the time to do that and just sent a response saying that you weren't an approved adopter without any explanation at all, so I take my hat off to this rescue.

(my response and the end so far)
This is Why most rescues are a losing proposition compared to breeders. I gave up a dog 16 years ago when my wife was pregnant and I was 21 years old. I could of easily hid this from you. Honestly by not considering someone like me you are more a part of the problem instead of the solution as now I am more inclined to purchase from a breeder.

I think your choice of words here is more telling than any information that you could've provided on the application about yourself. Saying that a RESCUE is "more a part of the problem instead of the solution" is utterly RIDICULOUS and you should really be ashamed of your choice of words. In my opinion, you owe that rescue an apology just based on this statement alone.

And you missunder stood about the dog 2 months ago,, I took the dog in from a person that was moving and was going to turn the dog into the local pound. I fostered the dog until I found a suitable lady that needed a companion! Shame on me for saving said dog and giving him a home and then rehoming him to a suitable home FREE OF CHARGE.

Perhaps if you would've explaned all of this from the get go there wouldn't be any confusion. Don't blame the rescue for the lack of information that YOU failed to provide.

My kids in house are confusing because I have recently divorced and now have a full time girlfriend/fiancee so I have two different groups of children.
As for another reference let's try Gail at mutts and stuff,, I've adopted from her and fostered for her but that was almost a decade ago now.
You're really dropping the ball on this one and like I stated above this is why puppy mills thrive - buyers don't have to pass a CIA inspection from someone on an ivory tower highhorse.
Thanks
Again, the "confusion" about the children in your household is no one's fault but your own.

I don't know why you even bothered to provide another reference, let alone one that is 10 years old. Did you really think after your response that they would reconsider you as an adopter?

Rescues are not the reason that "puppy mills thrive". There are many reasons that puppy mills exist, and rescues aren't one of them.

haha, thanks for the accidental thank you LOL.

Honestly folks take a step back and actually think about it:

Full background checks from someone who thinks they are the only people on the planet that are capable of giving proper care to a dog (typical rescue personel - and i know because ive done and felt this myself)

Are you saying that rescues shouldn't do homechecks and check Vet references before placing a dog in a home? If you've done this before yourself, you of all people should know how important it is to make sure that rescues choose the best possible homes for their dogs so that they never end up back in a rescue situation again.

Adara already hit the nail on the head with her response "This is NOT your typical reputable breeder, BYB maybe but not a reputable breeder."

Now who is going to move more dogs? Yes i know that some of the breeders dogs are going to end up in bad homes BUT alot are going to end up in good homes and the breeder is still moving more dogs than the rescue EVER will.
Reputable rescues don't place dogs based on numbers or how many dogs that they can "move". Reputable rescues take the time to place dogs in the best homes possible so that they hopefully will never end up back in rescue again. The "numbers" have NOTHING to do with it.

I really question what kind of rescue you voluntered for, because in my opinion, your "knowledge" on the subject and "experience" in the field seem questionable at best.

Here's a little reading material for you: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-rescue/66324-what-reputable-animal-rescue.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
youre all still missing my main point im trying to bring across, forget my personal mistakes i made in the above email and try to focus on the point.
i have a great house for a dog, i know i have helped more dogs in my life than some people on this forum have even seen, trying to prove that is hard and yes i completely understand that the rescue people want to know their animals are going to a nice stable home BUT it takes ALOT more information,time, and generally having people in your personal business to adopt a dog from a rescue than it EVER does from a breeder.

imagine you are looking at buying a NEW car or a USED car and the price of each is the same. now imagine if you decided to go the USED car route but the USED car dealer wanted to visit your home, wanted to know everyone who lived in your home, wanted to know what you did 20 years ago, wanted to know how you disciplined your children, on and on
now the NEW car dealer only wants you to give him a check and you can drive away. which dealer will 99.9% percent of the population choose to buy from?

oh and for the post directly above this one, NUMBERS have everything to do with it! heres out it works, more NUMBERS of people will buy from a puppy mill therefore more NUMBERS of dogs will go to bad homes resulting in more NUMBERS of dogs needing rescued resulting in more NUMBERS of dogs sitting in rescues which can "posibly" to hard to adopt from which in turn causes more NUMBERS of people to buy from puppy mills. anyone else see the circle here?????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh and ASTRA thanks for the personal attack,, so far ive kept the name of the rescue and the person out of it to avoid person attacks, thanks for degrading this since you find me questionable...

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Seriously? I guess I don't fully understand your comment about"moving" tons of dogs? Rescues are in no way trying to move as many dogs as possible, but are looking for quality forEVER homes even if that process takes a while. Pounds or humane society are definitely trying to move dogs quickly usually because they have limited funds, space and time limits. Unethical backyard breeding facilities are mainly concerned with making money so they do want to sell lots of puppies.. Rescues & reputable breeders want what's best for the dogs and will screen potential homes thoroughly.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
The simple fact is: If someone who claims to be somewhat educated on owning dogs would actually purchase from byb or puppy mill, they simply DO NOT need to rescue (or own dogs in general). Dogs are a privilege.

Edit: not saying you are this person ^^^ just saying....
on another note, there are many more rescues and even more doberman that need a good home. Take your experiences, learn from them and allow it to make you a better pet owner in the future. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh and ASTRA ,, why would i saying i adopted out several Pitts be a redflag? how can i helping out several dogs find homes EVER be a problem or a redflag? using that logic i guess watching said Pitts wonder the streets until they starved or got ran over in traffic would of looked better on my app??

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
oh and ASTRA ,, why would i saying i adopted out several Pitts be a redflag? how can i helping out several dogs find homes EVER be a problem or a redflag? using that logic i guess watching said Pitts wonder the streets until they starved or got ran over in traffic would of looked better on my app??
smoke229- do you run your own rescue? If not, then saying that you ADOPTED out ANY dog, let alone SEVERAL, would be a red flag to any rescue. Again, the point is that you didn't provide the rescue with enough information or an explanation on your application to explain any of this.

Please don't try to make this into an issue regarding Pitbulls. This has NOTHING to do with ANY particular breed of dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ASTRA, now your making even less sense, im in no way trying to make this out about pitbulls? lets forget i said pitbulls and we will substitute racoons instead.

Knowing that one racoon was running the street starving and the other racoon was on its way to the kill shelter should i of:
A) let both racoons make it on their own, one dying of starvation and the other being put to sleep at the kill shelter.
B) tried to do my part and take said racoons into my home, feed, shelter, and care for them until i could find suitable houses.

since i choose B , i now should be "red flagged" to adopt a dog from a rescue?

im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are one of those "your way is the only right way" type of personalities?

Gee your "love,peace, and harmony" sig soo totally dont fit our discussion!!!!!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Before you get super combativeness, I think Astra's point is that from what you said, without much explanation given, it sounds like you have had plenty of dogs that have had a pretty fast turnaround rate in your home. It could be that you took them in and then decided not to keep them and "adopted them out" is a fluffy term you used for something else. No, this may not be true but there are some horrible people in this world who are able to spin a great story.

Yes, the rescue that you contacted you judged you but with your initial email I probably would have been weary of you as a potential adopter too.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts