Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are brand new at this and need some help. We are looking into a puppy to become our first dog as not only a family pet, but also as a protection dog. We aren't interested in breeding or showing, but I want to make sure we are getting a good, healthy puppy? Prices go from 300-3000 dollars and I'm truly wondering what a fair price generally is. We don't want a back yard breeder, but I don't want to get overcharged either. Any thoughts? I will take any or all advice openly. Thanks

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
The price of the puppy is the price you are willing to pay for it.

If you decide to go cheap, aren't particular as to the kind of Dobe you want and are patient, you can haunt your local Craigslist postings and pounce on the first "Free to Good Home" Dobe listed. However, you should set aside a large sum of money in a savings account to pay for treating the dog's probable serious health/behavioral issues.

If you insist on having a well-bred, well-socialized, spectacularly healthy pup who has the genetic and conformational wherewithal to do some serious winning in competition or protecting your family, then expect to pay $2500 and up.

You will find your Dobe somewhere between these two extremes.

My advice is to read past threads and the articles in the educational forum to educate yourself on how to define the kind of Dobe you want and at which breeder or rescue group you will most likely find him/her.

Best wishes for a successful DoberSearch:wavey:

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I would say anywhere from 1500 to 2500 is about right. This should get you a puppy whose parents have been fully health tested (not just VWD) , ears cropped, tail docked, dew claws removed, deworming done and at least first set of shots depending on how old puppy is when you get it.

You should be able to take your puppy home at 8-10 weeks of age depending on the breeder. Do not buy a puppy from someone that lets them go earlier than that

You don't have to want a show puppy to buy from a show breeder. Not every single puppy born in the litter is right for the ring. You might not be able to tell the difference between the puppies in the litter, but the breeder will be able to tell who should be shown and who would be best in a pet home.

I vote you save your money and buy from a breeder that cares where this breed ends up over the next 100 years and not someone that has a slick website or a nice boy and girl dobe that make cute puppies....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No we are certainly not the "Craig's List" Dog buyers. We have only begun researching the
breed and are therefore nowhere near bringing one home. I'm only curious what is a reasonable expected amount from a reputable breeder, but as a "pet quality" not a "show quality." However thank you for the direction to the educational forum. I've just joined this community and am already finding it very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I live fairly near you, so I've done a lot of research on the area breeders. I really don't know if there are any breeders in Ohio worth supporting with your money. The one I got my dog from certainly wasn't. (I love my dog, just not his breeder.)

However, we have some amazing rescue options. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Northcoast Doberman Rescue. Also, if you don't mind driving a couple of hours, you can find a great breeder in a neighboring state-- just don't be surprised if you have to wait a few months. Dobes are not a healthy breed, and trust me, it is well worth waiting to get a puppy from someone who does full health testing rather than buying the puppy that is available right now.

You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions. :)

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
No we are certainly not the "Craig's List" Dog buyers. We have only begun researching the
breed and are therefore nowhere near bringing one home. I'm only curious what is a reasonable expected amount from a reputable breeder, but as a "pet quality" not a "show quality." However thank you for the direction to the educational forum. I've just joined this community and am already finding it very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
A lot of breeders charge the same price for show and pet puppies from the same litter. After all, each puppy has cost the same to be brought into this world (usually). Their ears all cost the same, tails, dew claws, shots etc. In fact, the new owners of the show puppies from the litter have show entry fees, show equipment, professional handler costs, hotel and travel costs so really, if anyone should be paying less, it's the show homes, not the pet homes!

The differences from the show puppies and pet puppies really are often very small. Sometimes a breeder doesn't have enough show homes for the litter and lets show quality puppies go to pet homes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.