Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

961 - 980 of 983 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Some more "learning" videos.

This first one is at an NW3 from back in July. A video to share of Sypha's interiors search from our NW3 back in July in Barnum. These are such interesting and valuable learning tools. This is a challenging search space, IMO. Slick cement floor. The roll-down door at the back is just slightly open, and I think you can see by her behavior that the odor is being sucked out the back. It takes her a bit of time to narrow down that the source is on the clear plastic box. After that, she's confident there are no other odor sources and wants to leave. I'm ...not so sure, so I ask her to keep searching. :) But she indulges me and keeps looking, and I call the finish correctly.

This container search is a good example of making sure you give your dog adequate time to check all the containers. Sypha didn't show interest in the second container hide the first time we passed it, but she hit on it very clearly on the second pass.

·
Da Boss
3,467 Posts
I had a picture to share of Newtie with the L2V (level 2 vehicle) ribbon he earned this weekend, but Imgur is not cooperating! We passed four different vehicle searches on Saturday earning our title. :2smile:
It's funny how time does some crazy things when you're competing. I was convinced that we were close to timing out on the first search of the day, but we weren't even that close. He did waste a lot of time, but we took 1 minute, 42 seconds out of 3 minutes.
The first two searches we did, he was all over the place. The second set, he did beautifully! The difference? He had to poop! Once he got that out of the way, he worked so much better! I knew he had to go, but he was much more interested in smelling all the dog smells than taking care of business. So of course he decided to go right when they called our name to go into search number 3. Dogs! LOL Our times went from 1:41.94 and 0:54.78 on the first two to 0:35.34 and 0:33.78 on the second two! What a difference a poo makes! :grin2:

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
We did some work for the first time in forever on Saturday. (Seriously, the last nosework video I have on YouTube was from when we were in Arkansas at the end of August.) Lily did great. Leo forgot was nosework is. And yes, my husband's car has had a rough year.

Reactions: Isra

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Sypha and I did a level 2 exteriors trial this weekend. The environment was a HUGE challenge. We were at a boy scout camp, out in "farm country." The weather had just dropped to freezing. Leaves all over the ground, and fun smells galore - we saw deer as we drove in, so you can imagine the kinds of smells that were all over. One of the search spaces, for example, was an archery range - 2 hides in that space, one on the archery target, one on a tree. Large search space. Another was in a fire pit space with picnic tables. Tree logs everywhere, an actual fire pit with burned logs...3 hides to find. Sypha searched like a champ. We managed to get a leg, but our last search was only 1 hide on a concrete slab crowded with picnic tables. Short search time of 90 seconds, and we didn't manage to nail it down fast enough. In hindsight, I was crowding her while she searched and she couldn't move through the space well enough - I know this, because the CO was my trainer, and he told me ;)

Oh, also, there were rifle shots and like, cannon booms? going off during some of the searching and waiting. So, quite the experience!

Pretty happy with our leg.

Two more trials coming up the next couple of weeks. Still trying for that elusive NW3.

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
I'm so incredibly thrilled to share that Sypha and I earned our first NW3!!!!

We had a perfect day...we got every call correct, even the very first search, which was a blank. Our teamwork just felt great. She was clear in her alerts, and it was clear when there was nothing left to find. The weather warmed up enough to be nice (mid-40s, warming up more as the day went on). Good wind. Just one of those days where things go the way you want! I'm so so proud of us.

2020-10-31_04-34-09 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Team Dax traveled to Palymra VA for an Elite trail this past Thursday. We arrive at the trail site as a hurricane was passing through. Torrential rains, huge puddles and soaked grounds with red Virginia clay everywhere. Our last search had to be changed as it was washed out. One search was a hybrid an exterior in the pouring rain immediately followed by an interior. That search took every ounce of willpower on Dax's part as their were puddles everywhere you could not walk without stepping into some sort of water hole. I was so proud of my girl as this was the first time wearing a rain coat that Dax searched for hides. We found 13 out of 17 hides with two No's. We placed 11th out of 28 dogs.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Congratulations!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Team Dax traveled to Palymra VA for an Elite trail this past Thursday. We arrive at the trail site as a hurricane was passing through. Torrential rains, huge puddles and soaked grounds with red Virginia clay everywhere. Our last search had to be changed as it was washed out. One search was a hybrid an exterior in the pouring rain immediately followed by an interior. That search took every ounce of willpower on Dax's part as their were puddles everywhere you could not walk without stepping into some sort of water hole. I was so proud of my girl as this was the first time wearing a rain coat that Dax searched for hides. We found 13 out of 17 hides with two No's. We placed 11th out of 28 dogs.
Wow! What a challenge. Way to go!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
I'm so incredibly thrilled to share that Sypha and I earned our first NW3!!!!

We had a perfect day...we got every call correct, even the very first search, which was a blank. Our teamwork just felt great. She was clear in her alerts, and it was clear when there was nothing left to find. The weather warmed up enough to be nice (mid-40s, warming up more as the day went on). Good wind. Just one of those days where things go the way you want! I'm so so proud of us.

2020-10-31_04-34-09 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr
Beautiful - Just Beautiful !

Great job MC and also to your owner - Sypha !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello every one I'd like to share one little video of Sirah searching for clove. I want to mention that I didn't teach her to sit or lay down, she just have in her brain that in order to get a reward she needs to do something, so she sits or lays down almost automatically so she can get her ball.
What do you think?
Sirah at scent work

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello every one I'd like to share one little video of Sirah searching for clove. I want to mention that I didn't teach her to sit or lay down, she just have in her brain that in order to get a reward she needs to do something, so she sits or lays down almost automatically so she can get her ball.
What do you think?
Sirah at scent work
I don't know how to insert a video by the way, sorry

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,083 Posts
When it's a youtube video, all you have to do is copy the url directly to your post.

Of course, remember to set your video to public.

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Love the happy wagging tail as she's searching! She actually alerts before she lies down - you can see her look at you as she finds the hide and her body language is clearly saying "found it!" You could pretty easily fade the behavior of sitting or lying down if you wanted by rewarding her before she does it, when she's right at source and has found it, but it's not necessary. Nice work!

·
Registered
35 Posts
When it's a youtube video, all you have to do is copy the url directly to your post.

Of course, remember to set your video to public.
ok I should have known that, well I did it, but it didn't show up in the preview so I wasn't sure..... I'll do it next time, thank you!
Love the happy wagging tail as she's searching! She actually alerts before she lies down - you can see her look at you as she finds the hide and her body language is clearly saying "found it!" You could pretty easily fade the behavior of sitting or lying down if you wanted by rewarding her before she does it, when she's right at source and has found it, but it's not necessary. Nice work!
Thank you!.....Yes! I've notice that before, and I've been thinking in clicking right when she turns to look at me, but I don't know, I kinda like when she marks

961 - 980 of 983 Posts