Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

941 - 960 of 967 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,464 Posts
Is that treats in your left front pocket OR a can of Skoal ?
That, my friend, is a baggie full of T-bone steak! Newtie gets phat paid at trials! :grin2:

Well, yes, it was clear communication, except that we got a fault for that.
Ooooo, they gave a fault for that? Newtie likes crushing the scent box too. I really don't want to take the fun out of it for him so I haven't worried too much. We haven't received a fault yet...crossing fingers and paws!

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
Ooooo, they gave a fault for that? Newtie likes crushing the scent box too. I really don't want to take the fun out of it for him so I haven't worried too much. We haven't received a fault yet...crossing fingers and paws!
Melissa, I haven't gotten faults for it before. Got TWO faults this trial...I'm kind of wondering if the judges got instructions from the CO? Because I've had one of these judges multiple times, and we've never gotten faulted before. It's not as if Sypha changed her behavior dramatically, so that's all I can think? I'm not going to stress about it too much.

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
So what is or who is a CO ? I'm so disappointed - I love that more than anything when the dogs pound the boxes = It like there says - I SAID here it is ! Dumb humans - LOL

T-Bones huh ?? I just thought you may be dipping when your working Newtie - LOL -- jkiding aobout the Skoal - but would have been funny if you had replied - it sure was - a can of wintergreen -- Long cut ! :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

You 2 have so much fun !

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
So what is or who is a CO ? I'm so disappointed - I love that more than anything when the dogs pound the boxes = It like there says - I SAID here it is ! Dumb humans - LOL
There's a fine line...you want to know when your dog has found odor, but you don't want them to damage the boxes, as entertaining as it is ;) So crushing the boxes, playing with them, etc. can be a fault. It's just part of the rules, and is at the judge's discretion.

A CO is the "certifying official." They are the person who is basically in charge of the trial. They set the hides for each search. They are the official from NACSW for each and every trial. Pretty much the most important person there. Sometime the CO is also a judge at the trial.

·
Premium Member
8,326 Posts
First congratulations Team Sypha. Dobermans and box smashers seem to go hand in hand or in our case paw in paw. I worked hard on Dax in the beginning not to smash a box. Trail nerves get to all of us when to call the Alert or do I wait. I have learned to Honor my dog and call the Alert. I want to put as much trust in her and she will have the trust in me at this game. Happy Sniffin

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
Sypha and I tried AKC Scentwork for the first time this weekend. We didn't do too bad for the first time out. She earned her SIN (Scentwork Interior Novice) and SEN (Scentwork Exterior Novice) titles this weekend. She also took first place in all three interior searches, and 2nd and 3rd place in Exteriors two of the three searches. I'm extremely proud of her! Her interior searches were incredibly fast - one was less than 6 seconds.

We struggled with the container searches, and I think it's because the odor strength is so different in AKC - much, much stronger. In containers that means it can really pool differently around the containers. She did Q in one out of three of those searches. We'll see if we decide to work on those or not...not sure if AKC will be something we spend a lot of time on, but it was fun for this weekend!

2020-09-13_12-12-57 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
Sypha and I tried AKC Scentwork for the first time this weekend. We didn't do too bad for the first time out. She earned her SIN (Scentwork Interior Novice) and SEN (Scentwork Exterior Novice) titles this weekend. She also took first place in all three interior searches, and 2nd and 3rd place in Exteriors two of the three searches. I'm extremely proud of her! Her interior searches were incredibly fast - one was less than 6 seconds.

We struggled with the container searches, and I think it's because the odor strength is so different in AKC - much, much stronger. In containers that means it can really pool differently around the containers. She did Q in one out of three of those searches. We'll see if we decide to work on those or not...not sure if AKC will be something we spend a lot of time on, but it was fun for this weekend!

2020-09-13_12-12-57 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr
You keep pilling on the ribbons and I can see Chris haven to build a bigger trophy room :grin2:

Great job you 2 !

You and Sypha will get better and better on containers - it's just something different and a little work on it at home and she will be a Pro at them too :wink2::2smile:

·
Got mutt?
13,607 Posts
Congratulations!

For a comparison on odor concentration, AKC is two drops per swab half, while NACSW is two drops per 25 to 50 swab halves. For a drug dog, think a single joint of pot versus a couple kilos of pot.

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
You keep pilling on the ribbons and I can see Chris haven to build a bigger trophy room :grin2:

Great job you 2 !

You and Sypha will get better and better on containers - it's just something different and a little work on it at home and she will be a Pro at them too :wink2::2smile:
So I shouldn't tell you all those ribbons are just in the closet, huh? ;)

Eh, I'm not sure I want to work on the containers for AKC...it's not my favorite thing to focus on and I don't know if right now I really want to throw her off for NACSW...we're really focused on earning her NW3 - that's far more important to me. I don't want to confuse her right now.

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
So I shouldn't tell you all those ribbons are just in the closet, huh? ;)

Eh, I'm not sure I want to work on the containers for AKC...it's not my favorite thing to focus on and I don't know if right now I really want to throw her off for NACSW...we're really focused on earning her NW3 - that's far more important to me. I don't want to confuse her right now.
That makes good since MC ! I could see that messing with her .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello everyone! I don't have a Doberman right now -very soon though-, but I have a female Viszla, and we used to train SAR in an actual rescue group which is part of the International Rescue Organization (IRO)-FCI and certificate our dogs through very tough competitions that includes obedience and dexterity and searches of 1, 2 or 3 fake victims depending on the level (similar to IGP 1, 2 or 3), we tried twice, unfortunately, didn't make it. Once because Sirah (my bitch) didn't mark the second victim and the second time because I failed in directing her the right way. It was frustrating because we were really well prepared. In obedience we did it good enough to pas both times.

Anyways, we moved to another state in Mexico and I can't find a place to train scent work other than IGP tracking (I've already talk to some trainers to explore that possibility), how ever they don't train tracking often. The point is I am sooooo bored!! I've never stoped training Sirah and we are working to get an online obedience title, but I need something else, and I bet Sirah does too.

Yesterday I remembered this thread and I've decided to try scent work, obviously, I am not looking for a title, because in Mexico there is no scent work competitions or schools, however, I think I will be able to train Sirah if I go step by step and I want to train as if we were to compete.

So first thing first, I've seen there are 2 or 3 organizations there in North America that have SW competitions and the main differences are the specific odors? I would like to know if there is another difference on difficulty of training or some bigger differences, similarity to real situations may be. I thought on use AKC rules to train because is the more known organization and who knows, maybe at some point we could compete in a trial there.

About the collar or harnes, I want to use a collar, because the equipment the dog wears is going to be an indication for her to differetiate one work from the other (SAR from SW). Is there an speciffic type of collar for SW or any that you prefere to use? I search in the AKC regulations and it says specificities for harness, but not for collars and NACSW is not very specific neither.

Other thing is that I understand that here is no specific way of marking, however I'm thinking in using a sitting or standing position to mark and avoid misinterpretations. For SAR she marks barking, but I will keep the bark for humans in case we train SAR again. Have you seen dogs in competitions with a trained behaviour for marking the odor sources, is that correct in SW?

I'm still in the process of reading more about the sport and reading this thread is really helpful, so I hope I can find more information here and you can help me with my little experiment out here.

Greetings to all

·
Got mutt?
13,607 Posts
I would recommend the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy classes. They are online, and the next session starts October 1st. This is their beginner class. https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/14305

There are several organizations in the US that offer nosework titles. As far as odors go, sweet birch, anise, clove, vetiver, myrrh, and cypress are the odors used. The first three are used by pretty much all of them. Vetiver and myrrh are UKC odors, and cypress is used by AKC and C-WAGS.

·
Got mutt?
13,607 Posts
Now that I'm back on the computer, these are the scent work organizations that I know of in the US and Canada.

American Kennel Club – essential oils and handler discrimination
Barn Hunt Association – rats (gerbils in some areas)
Canadian Kennel Club (Canada) – essential oils
Canine Performance Events – essential oils
Canine Works and Games – essential oils
Happy Ratters- rats
K9 ABC Games – essential oils
National Association Of Canine Scent Work – essential oils
North American Sport Dog Association – prepared/commercial rat or wildlife scent
Performance Scent Dogs – essential oils
RATS! Canada (Canada) - rats
Sporting Detection Dogs Association (Canada) – essential oils
United Kennel Club – essential oils and handler discrimination
United States Canine Scent Sports – essential oils
Wag-It Games – essential oils, handler discrimination, and sheep’s wool

The Canadian SDDA uses wintergreen, thyme, and pine.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Is it NACSW Nose and Canine Scent Work?

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Got mutt?
13,607 Posts
Is it NACSW Nose and Canine Scent Work?
Do you mean National Association of Canine Scent Work?

One thing to note is that AKC and UKC use a LOT more odor per hide than the other organizations.

Reactions: Isra and LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
Yes, NACSW is the National Association of Canine Scentwork. https://www.nacsw.net/

They are the first organization to have started this style of competitive scentwork as a solo sport (different than tracking). It was started by three people who has profession scent detection dogs and wanted to bring the fun of that to laypeople, essentially.

That's my preferred organization to trial in. As Rosemary just mentioned, different trial groups use different levels of odor. There are also slightly different rules.

I don't personally train an "alert behavior" and most people I train with do not - it's more about reading your dog's behavior. Because we have to have our dogs at odor source or as close to an inaccessible source as possible, having a trained behavior like a sit can actually interfere with identifying the location of the source at higher levels of competition with inaccessible hides that are are high height or deep back somewhere. Just my opinion and how my trainer feels about it.

Equipment - collar or harness is fine, as long as it's not a corrective piece of equipment. As far as I know all organizations are fine with either and it's totally your preference.

NACSW discourages an alert bark because it can affect competition.

·
Premium Member
6,832 Posts
Fenzi is a great place to start with nosework IMO.
Hoss and I signed up and found this course to be a great foundation for nosework.
Initially I took some classes at our local training center and at the same time I took the online course.
Online gave me a lot of details that I do not think I would have picked up on in class.
Nosework has taught me so much in the area of reading my dogs body language.
Also a lot of fun for the owner and dog.
At any given time if we get bored at home we practice nosework.
Always exhausts Hoss’s brain after 30 minutes or so.
Then he is ready for his well deserved nap!
As far as collar.....I learned this at my training center. Early on Hoss in class seemed hesitant for searches.
Instructor had me remove his collar as she felt the collar was keeping him in an obedience mode versus feeling free to roam around and search for scent.
So collar removed and 15 foot lead attached to the back of his vest.
Then Hoss really got into his searches with more determination. Guess he felt more freedom with collar off his neck.
So now we vest up only......no collars are worn during our searches.
Good luck and have fun with this sport.

·
Registered
32 Posts
https://www.nacsw.net/

They are the first organization to have started this style of competitive scentwork as a solo sport (different than tracking). It was started by three people who has profession scent detection dogs and wanted to bring the fun of that to laypeople, essentially.

That's my preferred organization to trial in. As Rosemary just mentioned, different trial groups use different levels of odor. There are also slightly different rules.

I don't personally train an "alert behavior" and most people I train with do not - it's more about reading your dog's behavior. Because we have to have our dogs at odor source or as close to an inaccessible source as possible, having a trained behavior like a sit can actually interfere with identifying the location of the source at higher levels of competition with inaccessible hides that are are high height or deep back somewhere. Just my opinion and how my trainer feels about it.

Equipment - collar or harness is fine, as long as it's not a corrective piece of equipment. As far as I know all organizations are fine with either and it's totally your preference.

NACSW discourages an alert bark because it can affect competition.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, those are very good advises. Now I tend to prefer NACSW over AKC, it sounds very interesting and also to put things a little mor difficult with the amount of odor. I'll reconsider the alert thing, but yeah definitely not barking, also to not interfere with our previous training.

Fenzi is a great place to start with nosework IMO.
Hoss and I signed up and found this course to be a great foundation for nosework.
Initially I took some classes at our local training center and at the same time I took the online course.
Online gave me a lot of details that I do not think I would have picked up on in class.
Nosework has taught me so much in the area of reading my dogs body language.
Also a lot of fun for the owner and dog.
At any given time if we get bored at home we practice nosework.
Always exhausts Hoss’s brain after 30 minutes or so.
Then he is ready for his well deserved nap!
As far as collar.....I learned this at my training center. Early on Hoss in class seemed hesitant for searches.
Instructor had me remove his collar as she felt the collar was keeping him in an obedience mode versus feeling free to roam around and search for scent.
So collar removed and 15 foot lead attached to the back of his vest.
Then Hoss really got into his searches with more determination. Guess he felt more freedom with collar off his neck.
So now we vest up only......no collars are worn during our searches.
Good luck and have fun with this sport.
I'll try with a collar, she loves to use her nose, so if she doesn't looks comfortable I'll change it.
And yes I think it will be fun, and we can make it very varied.

Thank you very much for your replies, I'll take every advise, do a litle more research and get to work!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sorry I did something wrong and I couldn't edit my previous post befor 30 min. This is the first quote I quoted incorrectly:

Yes, NACSW is the National Association of Canine Scentwork. https://www.nacsw.net/

NACSW discourages an alert bark because it can affect competition.
Thank you very much, those are very good advises. Now I tend to prefer NACSW over AKC, it sounds very interesting and also to put things a little mor difficult with the amount of odor. I'll reconsider the alert thing, but yeah definitely not barking, also to not interfere with our previous training.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Do you mean National Association of Canine Scent Work?

One thing to note is that AKC and UKC use a LOT more odor per hide than the other organizations.
Yes, lol. I must have coined the words to those letters so I would remember them.

941 - 960 of 967 Posts