Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some may know, I'm very new here. I'd like to get to know some by learning the names of your Dobes! I find names super interesting and love learning the names of dogs. Who knows, it may even inspire a name for my future dog. So tell me how did you choose the name, what does it mean, etc. I love listening!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Breeder named my boy. Kennel name "Lyndobe", sire's name is Soldier of Fortune, thus breeder made the litter her 'fortune' litter. My boy is Lyndobe's Wheel of Fortune, has a sister named Lyndobe's Fortune Cookie and so on.

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I got my boy through rescue. Ivan is similar sounding to his original name. Everyone kept joking about whether or not he'd be Ivan the Terrible or Ivan the Great. Researching both, I found out they were both known as the Grand Prince of Moscow. Since I got him through DDR, his registered name is DDR's Grand Prince of Rescue. (It also plays into him training to be a SAR dog.)

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I have rescues, so I could name them anything I wanted. The AKC does have rules about the naming of Canine Partners dogs, but other than that, the field was wide open.

My mutt is named Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery. Ilka is a Hungarian form of Helen. I went through some baby name books, made a list of about a dozen names I liked, and tried them out. I was after something either German or Irish, but Ilka seemed to work best. Pear Orchard Cemetery is where I found her.

My Rat Terrier is named Lucky Rat Dog, but not because he's a Rattie. We thought he was a Jack (Parson) Russsel at first. He's Lucky to be alive after being fished out of a storm sewer at 6 weeks of age. Rat Dog came from the fact that he peed all over me one day as I was carrying him from his crate to the door. I called him a ^($)%(@&* little rat of a dog, and it stuck. I just don't DO baby puppies.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn's registered name is Rhapsody's (kennel name) Mystery of the Spanish Chest to go with the litter's Agatha Christie Mysteries theme. His call name, Dreizehn, I had picked out since before he got his registered name. It was on the top my great many list of possible names and my mom told my breeder and she started calling him Dreizehn, so it stuck (which is good because it was my favorite). It means Thirteen and he happens to be one of 13 siblings.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
My girls name is Brandy! I just thought it was cute, and I had it picked out a long time ago.. like before summer :D

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I couldn't decide on a name for my Dobe, not before he came through the door in the arms of the guy who picked him up for me. I had thought of names like Kaiser, Himmel, Otto. But when the guy put him in my arms and I looked at his little face I knew his name immediately.

Toby, also known as Toby Jug, Toby Bowbells, and Toby Leave It!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I think most of us have our dogs' names below our avatar to the left of where our posts appear.
I think the OP wanted to know the history of the names. Why we chose them, and to start a fun thread :)

I named Chase because I thought it sounded cute,it was that or Max. But Max sounded more blk/tan to me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome!

My dog is Torque. I just really liked the name for a Doberman. I had it picked out before I even got him. I also drive a big truck, so that could be part of it too ;)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My girl is Luci. She is a rescue and that is the name she came with. I believe it was the standard Lucy but I changed the spelling b/c I really didn't like the name. She is more commonly referred to as Lula belle, lulu, loose, Lola, etc....

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabels full name is maybelline,
The breeder named her and the rest of the litter all M names, hers was after the cosmetic :rolleyesww:, I usually end up calling her mabel or moose lol.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Fiona's litter theme was red apples (all red litter). She is Old Drum's Crimson Crisp and I chose her call name after the singer Fiona Apple. I thought it was a cute play on the apple theme. :)

Tali's litter theme was rumors after their dam, Mariah's Indescretion v Koepsel, "Rumor". She is Old Drum's Fiery Rumors of Taliesin. I beleive Taliesin is an 18th century Welsh poet, and Tali is short for Taliesin. I didn't rename Tali when she came to me because she responded well to her name and she just looks like a 'Tali' after getting to know her. :)

ETA...I was way off! Just looked up Taliesin again and he was a prominent Welsh poet in the 6th century credited with writin many Roman stories. Wiki link on Taliesin below if anyone wants to read about him.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliesin

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
Atlas' name has absolutely no symbolic significance. I wanted a name that was noble and powerful, but not cookie cutter.

Usually I call him bub, man, hey!, here we go,or let's go!

I still haven't registered him with the akc...when I remember to, its gonna be Atlas Guacamole Bubbaloo. Seriously

·
Registered
537 Posts
Atlas' name has absolutely no symbolic significance. I wanted a name that was noble and powerful, but not cookie cutter.

Usually I call him bub, man, hey!, here we go,or let's go!

I still haven't registered him with the akc...when I remember to, its gonna be Atlas Guacamole Bubbaloo. Seriously
My senior year of high school, spanish class...the teacher got mad at me because I wanted my spanish name to be lasagna, lol.

"Pedro, that's not spanish, you will be pedroooo."

Then another guy wanted to be called Chiquita rosita juanita rodriguez.

Teacher got really mad at that, lol.

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
My senior year of high school, spanish class...the teacher got mad at me because I wanted my spanish name to be lasagna, lol.

"Pedro, that's not spanish, you will be pedroooo."

Then another guy wanted to be called Chiquita rosita juanita rodriguez.

Teacher got really mad at that, lol.
Haha its just funny to say

Chiquita rosita juanita rodriguez

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My boy is named Koa (ko-uhh) which means bold, brave and fearless in Hawaiian.

I stuck with the hawaiian theme and K name because my previous Dobe was named Kai--meaning of the ocean or sea.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
My girls name is Maui. I just happen to get online to find names for dogs, was going down the list and saw it. I thought it was a very unique name, I liked it and hopefully some day my husband and I will be able to go to the actual island. I tell her everyday "Maui Lou, I do love you".

1 - 20 of 54 Posts