Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great video and thanks for sharing!

If the dog is past the critical socialization stage, for instance rescuing an older Doberman, what can be done to help cope for that lost time socializing as a puppy?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
29,841 Posts
Basically the same things you would do for a puppy, but a dog’s long term habits and behaviors may take a longer time to shape into the behavior you want--you may have to go slower if a dog has a history of a certain kind of behavior. Some problems may not be “fixable”--in that you may always have to be extra vigilant and careful with the dog when he is in a difficult situation for him. A good rescue should share anything the previous owners have told them about the dog, and should also evaluate the dog carefully, so they can tell you what kinds of difficulties the dog might have.

And, of course, some problems may be specific and don’t apply to your situation--for example, a dog may not be able to live with cats--if you don’t have cats and no plans to get one, that’s not a problem for you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just curious what everyone recommends for socialization during this COVID crisis. I have a 14 week old puppy, and while I'm trying my best to be outside and do this, no one wants to get close as a person nor get their animals close right now. Is just being outside with him being around and seeing everything enough?
Perhaps this link may help: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/socialize-puppy-times-social-distancing/

I happened to come across it when I was working on another project earlier today.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,769 Posts
Reactions: LadyDi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious what everyone recommends for socialization during this COVID crisis. I have a 14 week old puppy, and while I'm trying my best to be outside and do this, no one wants to get close as a person nor get their animals close right now. Is just being outside with him being around and seeing everything enough?
A dog trainer on YouTube made a video on this exact topic! her name is Kikopup and I believe its the most recent upload

·
Super Moderator
23,264 Posts
I have posted a ton of suggestions and links in this thread: https://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/308085-suggestions-please.html

Take a read through my posts in it and you'll find online seminars, blogs, etc.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Love this! Thank you! such great points!
I raised one other pup (my mom took him from me lol. fell in love with him.) and even though i went to puppy classes three or two times a week when i first got him i think he needed a lot more interaction

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question - how do you socialize locations (beach, park, etc.) and other dogs before they're 18 weeks, when they aren't even fully vaccinated until 16 weeks? My vet said to avoid those places and other puppies until she's fully vaccinated, but that means we'd miss the majority of this socialization window and only have two weeks to catch up

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Question - how do you socialize locations (beach, park, etc.) and other dogs before they're 18 weeks, when they aren't even fully vaccinated until 16 weeks? My vet said to avoid those places and other puppies until she's fully vaccinated, but that means we'd miss the majority of this socialization window and only have two weeks to catch up
Exposure socialization

Here are some tips that may help you build that bond and imprint behaviors to set you and your boy up for success when he is older.

Do lots of engagement work! Stuff your pocket with puppy kibble and make high happy noises and call to your puppy in a high, happy tone of voice so he knows that coming to you equals good things.

Take him places where he can observe people, dogs, cars, and more from a distance. The parking lot of a shopping plaza is great, especially if that plaza has a Petco or PetSmart. Don’t GO IN to the pet places, just roll the window down a bit and let him sniff to his hearts content.

Play at home where he has to walk over different surfaces (Black trash bags, gravel, lumber piles, up steps and down steps, etc). Expose him to different noises (YouTube is great for that) at a quiet volume (at first). All these things work to build his confidence which is HUGE in having a balanced Doberman.

Every day, all day start imprinting behaviors - if he sits, tell him ‘good sit’ and reward with a bite of kibble. Work on all the commands that way, use his accidental actions to build the foundation and gently show him what they mean.

Training never stops so if you walk to the kitchen, see if you can get him to heel as you go (lead him with a yummy in front of his nose). Make him sit and wait before you put his dinner down.

All these things will have such a profound affect on the bond you are building. You have a perfect little piece of clay and now the work is on you to mold him into a masterpiece.

Read as many books on dog training as you can. I strongly advise the reading of How to Speak Dog by Dr. Stanley Coren for a great education on body language. Then, keep reading. Read When Pigs Fly, read The Other End of the Leash, read How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves and then, keep reading.

Be sure to just spend time with your dog doing nothing - simply existing.

Socialize your puppy through daily experiences at home/in the yard. Engage with him by playing, cuddling, talking to him. Put in the work to building the bond. Build his confidence through slow exposure to different sights, sounds, textures, scents, etc. Take things slowly and enjoy this squishy stage.

You will be great and your pup will be wonderful - just take it slow and enjoy the ride!! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
Socialization doesn't always mean interactions--exposure counts too--I take puppies long before they are fully vaccinated and drive to locations--parking lots at beaches and parks--I drive a truck so the puppy and I sit on the tail gate at watch the world--lots of people doing lots of stuff--all kinds of unusual things to see. Without interaction of potentially scary stuff the puppies get some indoctrination to the real world. And since all of my puppies are intended for the conformation show ring first they are never allowed to interact with other dogs (even when fully vaccinated) when on leash.

No catching up necessary--and socailization with other dogs is greatly overrated. At least for Dobes--they are not really pack dogs like beagle so you aren't depriving them of anything.

If you really want to have another dog for your puppy to play with find someone you know and trust who has a fully vaccinated compatable dog (same general size and mellow temperament) and let them play in your yard.

dobebug

1 - 16 of 16 Posts