Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
I like the purple what ever you called it CF -- LOL The Dobers would really look great laying on them ! Now girl - get started on one and we want to see the finished product Sunday ! :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
I admire those who can crochet, knit, etc. I really, really, REALLY admire those who quilt. Some day I want to find someone who is willing to make me a custom quilt. I absolutely have a deep love of pretty quilts, and I'd love to have one made in colors of my choice. It'll be crazy expensive, but some day I'll do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I like the purple what ever you called it CF -- LOL The Dobers would really look great laying on them ! Now girl - get started on one and we want to see the finished product Sunday ! :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:
Haha! It’s a light weight yarn, not great for blankets and it would probably take 982 hours of work lol. Maybe they’ll get a cute bow to go on a collar if I have extra!

I just got home and realized the stufff I bought is not actually what I linked...Here’s the actual stuff, it’s so pretty but I have no idea what I’m going to make out of it :|

https://www.woolandcompany.com/malabrigo-malabrigo-rios-247-whales-road.html

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
That does look like it will be nice to work with. I hope you got enough; that's my failing. I usually get one skein too few, and when I go back, there's no more to be had.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I admire those who can crochet, knit, etc. I really, really, REALLY admire those who quilt. Some day I want to find someone who is willing to make me a custom quilt. I absolutely have a deep love of pretty quilts, and I'd love to have one made in colors of my choice. It'll be crazy expensive, but some day I'll do it.
I have seen those gorgeous coats you make, you can definitely make a quilt! I’m noT a great sewer but I’ve done two quilts, pretty simple patterns but enough to get my feet wet. Couple tips for you, don’t use batting in the middle, get a thick fleece blanket and use that for the middle, it’s easier to work with, I also like to use flannel fabric for the back so it’s a little softer. Instead of sewing all the layers together in free motion, tack the middles of the squares together with embroidery thread, you could also “stitch in the ditch” which is easier to do with a regular sewing machine then free motion or there are places you can take it to that will finish it for you.

First quilt lasted exactly 3 days, got folded and set on the table next to Sully’s crate, he pulled it into his crate and shredded it!

Second quilt I made for my grandma, I still have it folded up one the end of her bed.

Start small with a throw, you’ll be amazed at how easy it is!

Knitting/crocheting is a bit harder to learn but easy once you get it, I self taught to knit via you tube, mom helped with crochet. It’s doable too :2smile:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That does look like it will be nice to work with. I hope you got enough; that's my failing. I usually get one skein too few, and when I go back, there's no more to be had.
I’ve done that too many times to count! Or you go back and it’s a Different lot number and doesn’t match. Yarn bee is the worst! Different thickness/texture/color, even in the same lot number, it’s so frustrating. I’m finishing up a project with it now and then I’ll never touch it again. Now I always try to buy enough and usually end up with too much and have random skeins of yarn laying around.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
I don't think so. Recently my large projects (!) have been with cotton yarn crocheting little pot scrubbers. This kind of thing, only using cotton yarn (stock photo, not mine)

They're quick to make, really have enough texture to scrub well without any fear of scratching stuff, wash easily in the dishwasher, (though they fade), and if you're really into it (which I'm not), you can match your kitchen colors. LOL But they last a long time, so you quickly do as many as you need, and then have to give them away.

Cotton yarn is good for potholders too (another quick project) because it won't melt like acrylics or other synthetics do. Wool is OK too, but doesn't wash that well.

Seriously though, I seem to have developed something like tennis elbow/carpel tunnel from crocheting, I think. All of that sitting around with my elbows bent and rotating my wrist around. So crocheting doesn't happen here often and I don't even do any embroidery either--my fingers have gotten sorta clumsy, somehow.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those are cute! I have arthritis in my hands so I know the feeling, working on a shawl right now that’s a bit of a complex pattern, I realized if I can’t work on it for awhile then I don’t even touch it, bc inevitably I screw it up and have to tear out my progress.

I asked about WAK bc it’s super popular on social media and everyone loves it so I ordered a few kits. I really don’t like it, it frays terribly and the wool is super scratchy, the merino/alpaca is sooo soft but so fuzzy. Just wondering if it’s just me or what I ordered bc like I said everyone loves it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Beautiful blankets and dogs!

I do not crochet or knit, I do sew and quilt - when I have time, which between the day job and the dogs is not often enough.

My dog mom story: Back in the early 2000s, I decided that my dobes needed a nice dog bed. I planned, bought all my supplies and spent an entire weekend putting it all together. I made all the inside cushions, cover, used fancy zippers. It was a thing of beauty. I finished Sunday afternoon and I was happy with it.

Come Monday and we go to work. I get home, and it was like the wonderful dog bed I made exploded. It was EVERYWHERE and RIPPED TO SHREDS. The dogs must have had fun all day destroying it.

Of course that was years ago with a different set of dobermans, some of you may remember Smokey who was still alive when I joined DT. She was one of the bed destroyers.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts