Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom crocheted the hubby and I beautiful soft warm blankets and the dogs promptly steal them any chance they get....
2934F27E-7E90-4210-8212-332D050025CA by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

8D6BCE27-C26A-4BBD-87DB-BF8A11ED21C5 by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

53C22537-0118-41D6-9E22-86A7BE3AFF82 by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

B19B3D9D-1CE7-4B68-B4EA-2440011B601B by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

4F55BE4D-385E-4AB1-9054-3C81FC6BDB9D by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

So now I’m learning to crochet....
0A5728FB-2022-4C0A-B4F6-64336D1E11B4 by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,126 Posts
At least all they do is lie on them.

I spent a fair amount of time once crocheting a fairly large "sampler" blanket--4 different colors in 8 inch squares, each with a different pattern, and then joined together in a sort of patchwork pattern. Some of the patterns were quite complex and it took me a bit to get them right.

I got home one day and found that Katana, who very rarely (maybe three times that I can remember) suffered from separation anxiety, had nibbled tiny little holes all over the thing. It smelled like mom, you see. At first I thought I could maybe just take out the various squares that were chewed on and redo them, but she had done a thorough job of it.

What kind of yarn and size hook are you using in that last pic? It looks thick.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
'Now those are nice! Any grandma would be proud to have the Doberkids on them.

My Dobes chew holes in my blankets, too. And you don't see it until much later...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least all they do is lie on them.

I spent a fair amount of time once crocheting a fairly large "sampler" blanket--4 different colors in 8 inch squares, each with a different pattern, and then joined together in a sort of patchwork pattern. Some of the patterns were quite complex and it took me a bit to get them right.

I got home one day and found that Katana, who very rarely (maybe three times that I can remember) suffered from separation anxiety, had nibbled tiny little holes all over the thing. It smelled like mom, you see. At first I thought I could maybe just take out the various squares that were chewed on and redo them, but she had done a thorough job of it.

What kind of yarn and size hook are you using in that last pic? It looks thick.
The blankets my mom made were done with bernat blanket and I found a bunch of it at ollies for 2$ a skein so I bought 200! I’m a knitter and had planned on using it to knit blankets but I hate the way it knits...doesn’t really slide on itself very well. I grabbed some scrap yarn and had my mom show me single crochet then I started a blanket. I’m using a 9mm hook, yarn calls for 8mm but I’m struggling a bit with tension, first was too loose then too tight, now I think my hook is causing issues, I bought an ergonomic one and it gradually gets bigger, I think it’s causing my back loop to be bigger than the front one, my mom is going to come over tomorrow and look at it. We’re also going to go to a specialty store that sells malabrigo yarn and I’m super excited! I’m amazed at how much quicker crochet it then knitting!

I’ve had some blankets destroyed too, Rizzo has had two trips to the ER vet for eating large amounts of fleece blankets, so we don’t have those anymore. Picked up some light quilted ones for the dogs at night, she chewed a small bit of the corner off once and chewed the corner off the teal and white striped one in the pics. Sully pulled the same blanket off the couch one day and was fluffing it to lay on it, then out of no where (while I was at work, saw home one the cameras) started grabbing it with his teeth and pulling hard on it until there was a fist sized hole, he got it just the way he wanted it then laid down! He’s becoming naughty in his old age, a few weeks ago he ripped a hole in the couch too, you can see the duct tape on the couch in one of the pics.:|

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,888 Posts
CF, Great pictures and love your "Dober-Proof" reclining couch units.

(You forgot the captions- Suggested captions in Red text inserted below....)

Man, This IS the LIFE..... 0:)

53C22537-0118-41D6-9E22-86A7BE3AFF82 by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

I'm Such A Neglected Dobe...NOT! :wink2:

B19B3D9D-1CE7-4B68-B4EA-2440011B601B by Corinna Morris, on Flickr

Love the doggy toy basket in first picture. :nicejob:

We use the canvas bins for toys, available for $5 at FiveBelow dollar store, which look much classier than milk crates:

https://www.fivebelow.com/color-block-storage-bin-13in-x-12in-x-10in-506385.html

Eva and Spock's Toy Bin - Background (1 of 3)

FYI- Spock is salivating, just looking at those beautiful crocheted blankets, because he's a big time blanket sucker.....:2surprise:

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love picture #5! LOL! The caption for that one should be: "You can't see me, I'm INVISIBLE!"

I used to have one that would wrap himself up in a blanket and all you could see were his nostrils. He always had to have an airhole to breathe through, LOL!

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
415 Posts
That's funny! My three do the same! But I also want to say those blankets are beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
21,293 Posts
Lovely!

I can't have any nice blankets like that out...Sypha is a suckler. All the blankets are belong to her...

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
Ok Meadowcat - Here's who you fix that , Kadin is our first sucker we have ever had - the little fart handle would pull up the ends of the sheets on the bed and suck on them , One day - the little lady had a brain storm idea - we had older ,light weight blankets we would cover up Kasia with . She went in there and had me cut that blanket into 3 smaller pieces , Ding , Ding , Ding ! We had a winner ! Since we did that , he has not even looked a sheet or blanket on the bed . they are HIS blankies , carriers them around the house , out to the office , you name it , even tries to bark with them in his mouth and that is funny . Anyway , it worked for us , him .

·
Super Moderator
21,293 Posts
Ok Meadowcat - Here's who you fix that , Kadin is our first sucker we have ever had - the little fart handle would pull up the ends of the sheets on the bed and suck on them , One day - the little lady had a brain storm idea - we had older ,light weight blankets we would cover up Kasia with . She went in there and had me cut that blanket into 3 smaller pieces , Ding , Ding , Ding ! We had a winner ! Since we did that , he has not even looked a sheet or blanket on the bed . they are HIS blankies , carriers them around the house , out to the office , you name it , even tries to bark with them in his mouth and that is funny . Anyway , it worked for us , him .
LOL, believe me, I've tried. She has "her" fleece. But if there are any blankets out that are "close enough"...she'll take them. And shred them. And since she's one that will eat stuff, I don't dare risk leaving anything out. I will not risk an obstruction. Richter chews stuff up, but spits everything out, lol. He'd be fine. (And he's not into blankets, either, and isn't a sucker.). I don't really worry (much) about obstruction with him. But Sypha...I do. Just not worth the risk. I don't need toss pillows or blankets on my sofa. I just keep them put away and take them out at night when I need one on my lap, and put them away when I'm done. Prevention is key, and easy.

The whole "sucking/OCD" thing is truly a serious problem in our breed that I personally think needs to be addressed and isn't taken very seriously, but that's a whole different conversation. It's not cute, and it can and does lead to serious issues. But we won't go there in this thread!

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
The whole "sucking/OCD" thing is truly a serious problem in our breed that I personally think needs to be addressed and isn't taken very seriously, but that's a whole different conversation. It's not cute, and it can and does lead to serious issues. But we won't go there in this thread!
We won't? Why not? I have, (I think) been very lucky and in all of the many years of Dobes I've only had one truely OCD dog--he didn't suck on blankets or pillows but on his flank--and when he was being shown in conformation it drove his breeder handler and me crazy--he had to be out of his crate early enough to wash the area towel it as dry as possible and go borrow a hand held drier from one of the coated dog people to finish drying him and then make sure he didn't get bored and accidentally get put back in his crate where he would suck on himself again.

I have friends who think it's cute--I don't. And if I didn't like it for any reason other than the fact that I was often traveling with people who had suckers--I found that they often would move over to my bed when I was out walking dogs and by the time I got back all of my pillows were soggy messes.

dobebug

·
Da Boss
3,467 Posts
Seems like a good life to me! :grin2:

Newtie is a blanket sucker, but he's got his blanket that is usually the only one that he'll use. I put it up and let him have it for a bit at night sometimes. When he's sucking, that's the only thing in the world and he won't stop for nothing. I always make a "fair trade" when I take it away so he doesn't get sassy about it being taken away.

·
Super Moderator
21,293 Posts
We won't? Why not? I have, (I think) been very lucky and in all of the many years of Dobes I've only had one truely OCD dog--he didn't suck on blankets or pillows but on his flank--and when he was being shown in conformation it drove his breeder handler and me crazy--he had to be out of his crate early enough to wash the area towel it as dry as possible and go borrow a hand held drier from one of the coated dog people to finish drying him and then make sure he didn't get bored and accidentally get put back in his crate where he would suck on himself again.

I have friends who think it's cute--I don't. And if I didn't like it for any reason other than the fact that I was often traveling with people who had suckers--I found that they often would move over to my bed when I was out walking dogs and by the time I got back all of my pillows were soggy messes.

dobebug
I didn't really want to derail the thread into my issues with people not taking it seriously and OCD stuff...seemed like the thread was more about the pretty blankets and cute Dobes.

I'm definitely happy to talk about the topic. Seems like maybe a new thread in "health" might be more appropriate? Guess I was trying not to be a downer and rain on Control_Freak's thread...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Athena had OCD terribly! She was a big blanket sucker, so much so she had a raw spot on the roof of her mouth. She also was obsessed with lights, you couldn’t touch a flashlight without her going nuts, she couldn’t wear tags bc they would reflect sunlight and when the sun would come through the windows she would get a ball that reflected light and play with it.

Rizzo eats everything, some blankets she mostly leaves alone but we have a strict no fleece blanket policy I
in the house! They love love love these bernat blankets, Brad likes to take his to bed bc he gets cold...which means I get extra bed space bc they want to lay on top of his blanket instead of the quilt aka pretty much on top of him!

My crocheting isn’t going all that great, they look ok but nothing like my moms (I’m a natural born knitter but crochet is out of my wheel house) good thing dogs aren’t picky and they don’t care if they aren’t “perfect.” Doesn’t hurts that I got the yarn so cheap, I’ll probably have 6-8 skeins I. A dog blanket at 2$ a skein. Can’t find something that cheap in stores!

On a side note, I went to a fine yarn store yesterday and OMG I’m in love! Don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy regular yarn again...picked up a couple hanks of this gorgeous superwah merino wool

https://www.etsy.com/in-en/listing/642933944/free-usa-shipping-malabrigo-sock

1 - 20 of 30 Posts