Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

The Humane Society of the United States

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  crxman321 
#1 ·
nfortunately, not all breeders have the animals' and your best interests at heart. That's why it's essential to screen breeders by visiting their kennel and talking with people who have purchased animals from them. Breeders know that the traits of their particular breed may make them unsuitable for some pet owners and will not sell their animals to unsuitable homes. Responsible breeders sell pets with contracts requiring that the animals be spayed or neutered; educate buyers about the breed and responsible pet care; remain available after the sale for support; and take back pets who don't work out. Irresponsible breeders are out for a buck, caring little for the animal, you, or your new life together.

Be careful, too, of those who breed, sell, and promote "fad" and physically challenged breeds. Many of the brachycephalic (flat-faced) breeds, such as pugs and Persians, have breathing and eye problems, and sharpeis often suffer skin problems because of their multiple skin folds. Other breed standards, set by breed clubs for showing dogs in American Kennel Club competitions, may include ear cropping and tail docking. *****These surgeries, which cause pain and distress, are performed for cosmetic reasons and are neither medically indicated nor beneficial to the dog. A particular breed's propensity for genetic problems, or a breed standard that includes cosmetic surgery, are both good reasons to consider a different breed. ****

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I forgot about the croping and docking thread sorry...i just didnt like the line where the **** start and end i dont think croping should be banned anywhere and i dont think its a huge painful ordeal for the dog and ect. i believe having cropped ears is beneficial to the dog and i've read some where on the net that cropping the ears can lead to lots of other health problems such as something to do with the heart and liver...ok tradition is tradition i have nothing aganist reg. ears at all theres just such a fuss about it on this other forum sigh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.